Is Bono still able to sing lemon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono could sing lemon. If you work on a falsetto it has almost limitless proportions up to about an e (The 15th interval of Middle C) Though some will cut at a B/C but i won't bore you with the very long winded musical explanation unless someone asks for it .

In short Lemon is possible, but would have to be suitbly placed in the set. If for example several 'high' songs were sung concurrently, eg Sometimes / Miss Sarajevo / Lemon, this could onyl be done at the end of a concert, because the voice then adapts to make this into the normal range, until it gets taken down off this 'high' It works low as well, especially if there are a lot of low notes in the song,

If you're still with me, congratulations

Its the same as how does the edge hit his high bits? By consitently singing at that pitch his voice adapts. I would put money on Edge not being able to suddenly do 'numb' in the vocal range the original is in without Fx.

I think that has answered the question basically, if you want any more info im more than happy to give it (And bore everyone else solid at hte same time)
david

Of course he can still sing Lemon. They will play Lemon again. Maybe not this tour (it doesn't fit into the current set very well), but it will be played again.

Zooropean103 said:
Well, Willie Williams CONFIRMED that they were rehearsing Lemon before the tour, so they were considering to play it again! Perhaps they left this idea because:

:ohmy:
He did? Even if they never played it, rehearsing it sure shows a lot of guts by the band. Good sign.

He couldn't do it, it's clear as day by listening to boots from now and ZooTV. He can hardly do the "wooh's" in Bad and Elevation, for God's sake.

He struggles with those every time he plays them, so how could he sing "Lemon"?

How about during "One"? On ZooTV, he would sing the "hear me coming lord" part and at the end, scream in falsetto: "ahhhh haahhh haahhh". That note makes me shiver everytime I hear it...

He can't do that note during "One" anymore...the best he can do is "oooooooooooohh" which is not as hard, and he doesn't do it for as long. He even struggles with that quite often, (the best recent version being Live8 imo)

I watched the Sydney VHS yesterday, which included a live version of Lemon. Even then there was a slight rasp to his falsetto on that version. I can even go out on a limb here and say he could only sing those notes because of a "MacPhisto bathroom break" before Bono came back form the encore.

Bono can sing anything in the studio under perfect conditions.

Does singing outdoors/indoors change one's singing ability? I know some worried about Bono singing in Denver and Mexico City because those cities have thinner oxygen(1 mile above sea level)

u2fp

He can sing perfect in studio conditions because he can attempt notes multiple times, take breaks, treat his voice well inbetween takes, then they can select the best take of him nailing the song part....he can not do that in a live setting.

...personally though i prefer most of Bono's live vocals of songs as more passion comes through and for the most part he gets the right notes.

Last edited:
I don't know about Bono but I can sing Lemon.

Lemmawnnn.......................................... see!

:wink:

hahhaah i know it sounds funny duh lol

you have to listen to my cover of unchained melody(with backup music and everything)(its a mix of elvis and bono,s vocals) its the whole song, if any one wants it let me know :rockon:

lemon.jpg

Pero said:
It's enough to have Miss Sarajevo and him singing Pavarotti's part, it's clear that he's strugling with it.

Maybe, but could Pavarotti sing Lemon??

Lemon would sound like a Sissor Sisters song if Bono tackled it now.

babyman said:
anyway.......................bono is not struggling with miss sarajevo........................where's the struggle??

I know, i was about to mention that myself...they are big notes he has been hitting and as far as i know he has got them every single night. Your average rock singer couldn't even dream of doing them.

PG Canada said:
He couldn't do it, it's clear as day by listening to boots from now and ZooTV. He can hardly do the "wooh's" in Bad and Elevation, for God's sake.

He struggles with those every time he plays them, so how could he sing "Lemon"?

How about during "One"? On ZooTV, he would sing the "hear me coming lord" part and at the end, scream in falsetto: "ahhhh haahhh haahhh". That note makes me shiver everytime I hear it...

He can't do that note during "One" anymore...the best he can do is "oooooooooooohh" which is not as hard, and he doesn't do it for as long. He even struggles with that quite often, (the best recent version being Live8 imo)
well from the boots i have of this tour he hits the higher parts of one, he couldnt during the elevation tour for the most part, same with popmart, but he hits them this time out, best he has since Zoo

KUEFC09U2 said:
well from the boots i have of this tour he hits the higher parts of one, he couldnt during the elevation tour for the most part, same with popmart, but he hits them this time out, best he has since Zoo

On Popmart he tried screaming "ahhhh hahhh" and could only do it sometimes...if not he'd resort to "ooooooh" or not trying the falsetto at all.

On this tour he only does "oooooh". It's much easier than the screaming he did on ZooTV...it's clear he can't hit the falsetto like he did on ZooTV, not even close. There is absolutely no way that Bono could or would even attempt Lemon at this point...he just couldn't do it.

I'm not trying to slag Bono, I love the guy and I am counting the days till Toronto. I just realize that he's 45 and his voice has diminished significantly from his peak of Lovetown through ZooTV, where he could do pretty much anything.

I just don't see where people are coming from when they say his voice is the best it's ever been. It's not even close, and that's okay and understandable.

I think its pretty close to being as great as it was...of course it is never going to be as great as those peak years you are on about...but that is also because Bono will never blast his voice like he was doing during that time again because its bad for his voice...someone mentioned before that Bono during that time was hitting notes week in week out that most professional singers would only attempt on a monthly basis in order to preserve their voice, Bono is not going to do that again because its not technically smart to do so. That's why you hear a difference in how he sings Streets between Lovetown and ZooTV. ZooTV Streets lacks the power of the Lovetown version..i think Bono sings the current incarnation of Streets with more power than he did for ZooTV.

I agree that if the B-man is having trouble reaching the high notes in Lemon then just switch the parts. Let Edge sing the verse and then Bono could do the "Man takes a picture.. " bit.

I could see that working out pretty well. Though it's hard to imagine Edge as Mr. MacPhisto.

Umm i don't know what everyone else thinks, but i wouldn't want Macphisto to come back...he was an amazing character when Bono did him, and i view ZooTV as one of the greatest things ever, but hes been done and should be left alone, doing him again would be the repetition people about here already seem to claim U2 are doing...

RavenBlue said:
I agree that if the B-man is having trouble reaching the high notes in Lemon then just switch the parts. Let Edge sing the verse and then Bono could do the "Man takes a picture.. " bit.

I could see that working out pretty well. Though it's hard to imagine Edge as Mr. MacPhisto.

Edge can be Mac's brother, Ned

Back
Top Bottom