Is Bono conceited?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
There's this man I work with, who I always thought was pretty smart when it came to music and stuff, and he told me he watched the DVD. Then he said that he thinks Bono was conceited on the dvd. I was a bit taken back- then asked him where (I can't have just a one sentance conversation w/ someone about U2). He told me that he just got the sense he was conceited, like when he asked the audience "how we doin' tonight".. I explained that's probably because he hurt his voice in Albany, hadn't done so well the night before, etc.. he didn't seem too convinced.

confused.gif
I totally don't get this impression. Even not being biased, I don't. lol - serious! I mean, maybe AB he could say that, b/c of the personas Bono donned but that'd just be b/c he didn't know anything deep about the band.

Do other non-u2 fanatics think this too? or maybe even some of us- i can't quite understand this one.

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

U2 Take Me Higher

MPS: "Evil shouldn't look this good"

HelloAngel: I don't agree with your statement of saying that most rock stars and actors are conceited. In fact most actors I know, myself included, are highly insecure about some things and that is why they have to "act" or do what they do. They may over-do this fake conceited personna in order to make up for their insecurities.

I think Bono may be in the same boat. But I, of course, do not know Bono.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Bono's got a big ego, but what makes him so endearing is that he's usually the first one willing to deflate it. You also have to have a hell of a lot of confidence to do what he does as a performer and sometimes people mistake confidence for vanity. In any case, I saw humility on the Elevation Tour that was very refreshing.

Originally posted by tackleberry:
HelloAngel: I don't agree with your statement of saying that most rock stars and actors are conceited. In fact most actors I know, myself included, are highly insecure about some things and that is why they have to "act" or do what they do. They may over-do this fake conceited personna in order to make up for their insecurities.

I think Bono may be in the same boat. But I, of course, do not know Bono.

The only reason I would make a statement such as the one you highlighted is because my experience(s) with famous actors and famous musicians is that most are conceited. I don't know if you're famous, or a non-famous working actor (hell, I'm an actor, too)- but I was just stating my belief based on my experiences with some of the "biggest" in both businesses. Take from that what you will.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:

The only reason I would make a statement such as the one you highlighted is because my experience(s) with famous actors and famous musicians is that most are conceited. I don't know if you're famous, or a non-famous working actor (hell, I'm an actor, too)- but I was just stating my belief based on my experiences with some of the "biggest" in both businesses. Take from that what you will.

I totally agree with you, HelloAngel. I've come into close contact with many famous people through my work and 95% of them are egotistical horrors--worse than I would've even imagined. By comparison, Bono is like the guy next door. Like I said above, he's more confident than vain, in my opinion. He pokes fun at himself, which most conceited people cannot do, plus his bandmates and Dubliners help to keep his ego in check.

"I'm amazed that music, something you're born with,
has given me such a life. What saves you finally from arrogance is knowing
the thing in life that's given you the most was itself a gift." -- Bono

Doesn't that say it all?

Besides, I don't understand how people can criticise Bono's involvement in Jubilee 2000/Drop the Debt.

Maybe I'm incredibly naive, but I just can't believe that anyone could be so dedicated to a campaign if their only reason for involvement was their own personal gain.

I've been involved with various campaigns, only on a very small scale, obviously, but to me, what motivates you to become involved is the belief that you can make a difference. What makes you keep getting out there and fighting for something even when you're completely fucking exhausted and want to hide away in a room and lock the entire world out, isn't selfishness or desire for some sort of personal gain. It's the belief that you can have a positive impact on people's lives and maybe in some small way you can contribute to making the world a better place.

Then again, sometimes when you get a good outcome from something you've been working on, you just want to grab people on the street and hug them and say "look what we achieved! Isn't it fantastic!"

It's not the same as saying "look how fantastic I am" though - it's just that you're so happy and so proud to have been involved in something that you can't help yourself from sharing that joy.

Maybe you can feel that way about music too. Sometimes I've been so overwhelmed by a piece of music that I've wanted to grab the nearest person and put my headphones over their ears and show them how beautiful it is. Sometimes the only thing that stops me is a desire to live my life outside of a mental institution
wink.gif

So what I'm saying is that I don't think it's conceit or arrogance, I think it's just that sometimes you're so happy about something that it's impossible not to share it with someone.

[This message has been edited by FizzingWhizzbees (edited 01-09-2002).]

Some ppl misinterpret me this way also..
All you do is show them love back.

DB9

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 01-09-2002).]

projection...though I do think you have to have an ego to go up in front of 20,000 people.

What your friend heard I've heard the same from lots of rock stars. I think it's kind of a challenge to the audience to get with the program.

Well, there's lots of (misguided) reasons folks have found over the years to call Bono conceited, but in this specific instance I really think it's merely overlooking the context: "I'm singin' all right tonight, aren't I?" i.e. as opposed to in Albany! As in, "My voice is all right tonight..." Unfortunately, he just made the observation before explaining why he made it...

Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

HAHAHAHA!!! BONO CONCEITED - THAT A LAUGH!

A HAM most defintely, but not conceited. Didn't he see where Hamish tells Bono to "ham it up like a rockstar".

If any have been accused of conceit - it would be Adam; but then again when you've got 140 Millions plus - you can be whatever you want. (even a conceited rockstar.)

------------------
...and may your dreams be realized...

hmmm...well, I will agree that Bono has a bit of a 'pious' air about him...but heck, he's been in a hugely famous/popular rock group for 20 years, he's extremely intelligent, he writes--and even speaks--in way that most 'mere music mortals' don't seem to understand (I read somewhere about how Bono's whole vocabulary is peppered with phrases and sayings, just made for quoting in articles and magazines...it's just normal speech for him).

I think Bono, and U2 in general, are people that one almost has to 'study' to a degree to understand them better. Their music is complex, their lyrics deep and ethereal, their faith is confusing, their humanitarianism seems grandiose and self-aggrandizing, and they are outspoken and are not afraid to voice their opinions. Many people are afraid of that. I guess they just don't understand our Bono, do they? *shrugs*

I LOVE the guy, and I'll take him no matter how he comes across to anyone else. I know the world is definitely a better place because of him being in it.
smile.gif

disco

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 01-09-2002).]

I can see why some people would find Bono conceited. Even some fans I talk to finds him that. Somewhere I read that noone laughs at Bono like he does himself.
Like some here already has mentioned, you have to go behind that, dig deeper in to their background and read and listen more to them to understand what's up.

I'm reading 'Walk on - the spirituel journey of U2' right now, I guess more of you are since many got it for christmas. In the first chapter the author says:

"Many have been so obsessed with the cigar hanging out of Bono's mouth that they are missing the radical biblical agenda that has fired his life and work"

This pretty much sums it up, most non fans looks at him more then listens to him.
I also think he has this double persona or what to call it, one for fans to understand, a deep and humble one and one that gives the press, media what they want.
I bet he also likes to make fun of the media. Every time I've seen an interview with him and the reporter has asked a stupid question, he gets an even more stupid answer, that the reporter of course takes very serious.
biggrin.gif

I think you have to get the whole story to understand why he says certain stuff and if you take a sentence out of the air it might sound arrogant or pointless but when you look back you see the point.

Like the whole "i'm singing alright tonight" thing. Most people (non fan) don't know that his voice went up and down and was terrible in Albany a few nights earlier and of course this sentence sounds very ego to them, but for us who knows, we see the honestly happy smile on his face and knows that he's really happy to be able to sing as good as he did and wants to share that happiness out loud.

Oki, after all this rambling the conclusion is, at least for me, Bono is a tricky person that you have to look at from different angles to understand, and that's what makes him interesting. He always gives you something to think about.
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Strangely enough, I had a similiar reaction from a friend the other day. We went to high school together and haven't seen each other for eons, but we got in touch via IM and were chatting. When I mentioned that I was a U2 fan, he said something like, "I'd like U2 if it weren't for Bono." Of course, I was shocked and asked him what the hell he meant. He said he hated Bono's "attitude".
rolleyes.gif

Just last night I sat and watched about 3 hours of U2 stuff (borrowed from a friend), much of it Bono-related (Charlie Rose special, etc.). I can't help but think that if people did their homework and listened to what the man is saying, they'd find that he makes FUN of himself at just about every possible juncture and seems to find the whole idea of rock star ego to be terribly embarrassing. So rather than protest and protest and claim innocence and try to show how "genuine" he is, he takes on the role people ignorantly categorize him in and plays it up to the hilt, like a parody.

Anyways, all that to say...bonk your coworker over the head and make him watch a serious interview with Bono one of these days.
tongue.gif

-sula

for me, there are so many people who have had it up to here with U2 and Bono. Around me anyway. They are sick to death hearing about what they call "their holier than thou attitide" and Bono's "god-like" persona.

For me I have to laugh. I've been around a long time and what I see is totally different from what "they" see. "They" see a band so full of themselves that their heads wouldn't fit in the same room together.

I see a band that "plays" up to the hype and "plays" it very well. It's an image that will be forever Bono and forever U2. I see a very down to earth very real bunch of guys who love to make music and who try and make people smile - which is more than I can say for alot of other bands.

..maybe I'm just babbling....but nonetheless when your coworker isn't lookin' get that big stick out and twack him on the head
biggrin.gif

That's an interesting assessment of Bono.

Sometimes, I think he says holier than thou things - but then I think some of it it just his silly sense of humour. I think he seems like a very self-deprecating individual who isn't ashamed or sorry for his success, and also acknowledges on many occasions that he isn't good at anything else but being in a rock-n-roll band.

Rock stars and actors are very self-assured people - you have to be to do what they do. Some posture and preen and prance more than others (Mariah Carey is very guilty of this) but I think Bono is just aware of how good his band is - and I think U2's talent is something most rock fans cannot deny.

I know this lady who will take a look at any given actor and say "look how conceited they are!" even if the actor isn't posturing. I think some who think others are conceited might just feel inadequate compared to talented or attractive people such as Bono.
So throwing out the "conceited" or "big head" tag is a defense mechanism.

I think a lot of people tend to feel that way about Bono. He's outspoken, driven, and is adamant in his views. Combine that with a rock star persona who's in the public eye and people are going to be quick to judge. But also these people who are quick to judge may not have a grasp of what Bono is really about. Maybe they're seeing just the surface, who knows?

I wouldn't elevate (no pun, really) Bono to superhero status but I admire him immensely. But he is human. I've seen statements and interviews where he has come across as conceited (namely from the Achtung era when he was talking to MTV - when asked about what he thought of older fans not digging the new material he said "Fuck em, who needs em.") Heck, even I was a bit miffed about that statement but then again turn about is fair play. If the older fans weren't willing to accept their new sound, U2 does have a right to make a statement about those who criticize.

I've heard people tell me that Bono is self important, a man with alterior motives to boost record sales. I've also heard people say he ended up jaded during the Achtung era when he developed his alter ego and strutted around in non-U2 form donning devil horms and mirrorball suits.

I say let the people make up their own minds and leave it at that. No matter what U2 does on the side or what they say, their music has always spoken much louder than words. It's the music first that brings people to the band. Everything after that (reading books, watching/listening/reading interviews) comes second.

I still think it's a bit cruel to bash someone's favorite band to their face. I try to make an effort not to do that, even if they happen to like music I abhor. Music means a lot to me, and a lot to other people - I try to extend to those people the same amount of respect I'd want if I were to go off talking about how much I liked a band or a singer or whatever.

What's so conceited about saying "i'm singing allright tonight, aren't i?" with a smile to your fellow band member and being happy about it?

Bono has more than once said the whole stardom concept is silly and ridicoulus when it comes to music stars. And he very often makes fun of himself. (including DVD at the introductions)

He's a really down to earth guy, and VERY modest considering what he is and what he does.

Now his Drop the debt campaign is what i think bothers most people. Personally, i think it's great that a celebrity this magnitude does charity work.

ps: As for his "biggest band in the world" attitude, well, i should think any singer anywhere in the world thinks of his band that they are the best there is.
He's proud about their work - nothing wrong with that IMO.

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-09-2002).]

I'll never forget a picture he painted in my mind when he was speaking to people at MM after the TO gig in May.

He made a statement that said something to the effect....he is very needy....he needs the adoration...he needs the fans....as he said...why else would I be the lead singer of a rock 'n roll band. I know I don't have the words exactly right but for me...he said it very well...and put the whole rock star image into human terms.

I can see why many people would think that Bono is a total arrogant wanker or be put off by his rock-star bombast. Personally I find his public persona very entertaining and, like many people already mentioned, he's extremely self-aware and is the first to make fun of himself. The thing with the people who dislike him for whatever reason is, they sometimes tend to look for yet another proof of his conceit in his every word or action, even the most harmless ones.

I thought the whole point of U2's 90s adventures were to dispell the public's perceptions of U2 as pious, conceited, distant and self righteous individuals, always stoically photographed dressed up like pilgrims?

I know of someone on one of the R.E.M. boards...nice person normally. She loves Michal Stipe to distraction...has even wormed her way into his circle of aquaintances...(she's a musican) but everytime Bono's name is mentioned she goes off on a tangent...calls him a jackass...thinks anyone who admires him is stupid...and on and on...despite the fact that her beloved Stipe is his good friend..
She never ever explains why she thinks this way..she just shows up on any thread that discusses U2 and goes off like that..
Someday if I ever meet her I'm going to ask 'what did Bono ever do to you?'
Personally I think its because Bono gets more attention than Stipe...its just a little fan jealousy...although I highly doubt she would ever admit to that..
And she is a nice sane normal person othewise....

I can see why people think that he is arrogant, and concieted. But that is just his personality when it comes to music. Look at all he has done for 3rd world countries, and other charities. Would a "me-first person" do things like that.

U2 has always been making fun of themselves, or making fun of what is supposed to be "mainstream". Bono's attitude has always been to "fuck up the mainstream". Just look at the whole Popmart thing. Big glitzy show, (which is was popular at the time), and a big giant lemon where they came out of. Look at all the popstars, and their entrances to their shows. U2 was just making fun of the "pop" scene.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

I don't think Bono is conceited per se....
Think of U2 (like we ever stop)...they are radically different from the very beginnng...perhaps more radically different at the beginning because they were so up front about everything, rather than "putting up the front" as they started in Zoo TV. They have an educatd opinion, and openly care about things in the world, which when they started out was the ultimate in "uncool" in the rock world, and I'm sure they got a ton of flak for it. To be able to deal with all the criticism and still pursue their own track (esp Bono as the main spokesman) takes a whale of a nerve. To take the knocks and keep on coming is something unique. Perhaps any conceit he seems to display is a defense mechanism. He has often said he thinks his job as singer is to take it over the edge at times and say things that stir it up a bit (such as the "reapplying" deal). A big ego, yes (is required for his job), conceit, no. Conceited people don't put themsleves down, in case someone else might believe it and see beyond the facade.

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

I find that people who are not U2 fanatics generally think that Bono is conceited. But those who actually know a lot about the band think that he is not. I've become a major fan in the last year, and the more I find out about U2, the more I like them. Bono seems to always be nice to fans who meet him, and I was reading a Rolling Stone interview from 1987 where he said that when fans would show up at his house he would invite them in for tea. He joked that he needs to take a class on being a pop star called "How To Be A Bastard 101".

Back
Top Bottom