Is Bono campaigning for Kerry, or what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
put it simply. bono is over and above to do the cheap trick of appearing in political conventions just to get the funding. After all he gets his point across not by his "appearances" to them. Or making cutesy waves and smiles and photo shoots. He talks, discusses, negotiates, argues with some of the world's most powerful and influential men, men who control the world's destiny. We can even say that he's a lot smarter than most of these "dodgey politicians". He has already impressed a lot of these world movers ranging from the White House to Kremlin to the Vatican. When he shows up he knows "his stuff" and presents his ideas. Ever think of why he was at the World Summit sitting along the brainiest economists, politicians, presidents? Do you think he gets invited there for a "show" = they can always get britney or the olsen twins for cute publicity. But no. He was invited because his ideas are at par with the rest of the participants. Now do you still think that appearance in the
democratic convention is a cheap move? Well now better hide under those rocks if you still do. :wink:

:scratch:

Desire25, I think you missed the point.

No one ever thought it was a 'cheap move' for publicity or anything like Britney at all. We always knew he was serious politically, but some of us were questioning him 'taking sides' in politics which could possibly hurt his cause, because he needs BOTH sides on his side to get the votes he needs in congress for Africa!

But I do agree on one thing: Bono is way smarter than any dodgy politician! (and they are ALL dodgy in my book!);)

I think Bono's article in the Globe was timely and perhaps he had planned all along to attend both. What I know is when you immerse yourself in this emergency you become very involved in all aspects and concern for whats happening and for those reasons sometime's that vested interest might come across wrong in your comments. I've cringed in moments when I thought it seemed on the surface like Bono might lean on way or another .. but I have learned that this guy knows exactly what he is doing and put trust in this , he's been around the block more then I .. So all I really care about is that he is leaning on the side of turning the tide on this emergency.. and that he is .

It's and extremely crucial time and no this emergency isn't on the mind of the average voter so whats imperitive that until more people get involved that people like Bono keep doing what he does so well.. hold those politicians to the fire and not letting up
..it's really really unfortunate that more American's don't find this an election issue ..okay gotta go

Bono is not campaigning for Kerry. He's also attending the Republican National Convention next month to speak to Republicans about his concerns with the AIDS pandemic. He's being about as partisan as Donald Duck.

Hilarious. Some of you make it sound like being liberal is bad. I wouldn't vote for Kerry because he isn't left enough for my liking, but even an ape is better than Bush.

This is by far one the funniest threads in the whole forum, it makes the stuff in "where the album has no name" humorless. I can't believe people are getting the panties in a wad about this.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

U2Kitten said:

I also agree it makes him look like another liberal celebrity.... I guess I am kind of 'mad' at Bono, the way I get at any person I know and care about. After 21 years, I feel like he's a friend, so that's how it is for me.
When has Bono ever come off as a conservative celebrity?

Bono's your friend? So is it a prerequisite for all your friends to agree with you politically? That sounds boring to me.

Jamila said:
Diemen, can you show my one of your original posts with your own original ideas, not just where you're tearing someone else's down?

The only reason I was "tearing someone else's down" in this thread is because I found it troublesome that some of you had already made up your mind on what Bono was doing before learning the full truth. And when you did learn the full truth you tried to rationalize your prior argument by somehow arguing that Bono changed his mind. As a result of what? Bono has been extremely non-partisan ever since he got on board as a champion of the African debt relief and aid cause. Why would he stop now? If anyone knows how crucial unilateral support for this issue is, it's Bono, a man who by American standards is liberal (remember, liberal is not a dirty word), whose friends complain about him meeting with conservative leaders, but who does so because he knows the importance of the issues he's fighting for. It would simply not make sense for him to suddenly turn partisan for his cause. The only side Bono has ever been fully on in this cause is the side of Africans in need of aid.

So, yes, perhaps my ideas aren't all that original, though I did suggest the likelihood that Bono would attend both conventions. Rationalism and waiting for the whole story are fairly unoriginal, I guess - but I'd rather be "unoriginal" and willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt than "original" and prematurely critical.

Last edited:
Diemen said:

Bono has been extremely non-partisan ever since he got on board as a champion of the African debt relief and aid cause. Why would he stop now? If anyone knows how crucial unilateral support for this issue is, it's Bono, a man who by American standards is liberal (remember, liberal is not a dirty word), whose friends complain about him meeting with conservative leaders, but who does so because he knows the importance of the issues he's fighting for. It would simply not make sense for him to suddenly turn partisan for his cause. The only side Bono has ever been fully on in this cause is the side of Africans in need of aid.
/B]

Original and well said Diemen :up:

I'm glad that Bono is championing the cause of AIDS.

Because if it were some of the posters on this thread, the sheer amount of hysteria and melodrama would drive away anyone interested.

And before I get accused, YES I DO HAVE FAMILY IN SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA, not that I can see why this has to be a pre-requisite. FYI, they are from the coastal area of Namibia (Swakopmund to be exact).

Popcorn.gif

Last edited:
:wave:
so anyway...does anyone know when he'll actually be speaking at the dnc? this boston fan is attending tomorrow night!!!!
i don't see him listed as a speaker yet...
thx

I think probably what Bono meant by listening and talking as well is on a personal basis with some of the politicians to rally support that way, though I would love to see Africa get some center stage time.

anitram said:
I'm glad that Bono is championing the cause of AIDS.

Because if it were some of the posters on this thread, the sheer amount of hysteria and melodrama would drive away anyone interested.

I'll have to agree with you.

Wow, went away for a day and its amazing how the perception has changed. I think Bono's announcement just killed ANY point this thread had other than the whole thing wasnt a big deal to begin with.

Hello Angel, referring to your comment that most of were saying it wasnt a big deal because we like Ted Kennedy. Think again!! I cant STAND Ted Kennedy. I think that some of his statements and conspiracy theories without any basis in fact over the last couple of years have been disgraceful. But it doesnt make me like U2 any less because Bono went to a tribute for Uncle Ted. Just like I dont think it makes any difference to those that share the same dislike for Jesse Helms. Bono had him come to a show for crying out loud!!! That was my point. Even if Bono wasnt going to the Republican convention as well, I still dont think it would matter. I already know who I'am voting for anyway and Bono's views and/or music had nothing to do with it.

I like U2 because they make great music and are one of the greatest live bands of all time. Not because Bono is going to "X" convention or tribute.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
Wow, went away for a day and its amazing how the perception has changed. I think Bono's announcement just killed ANY point this thread had other than the whole thing wasnt a big deal to begin with.

Thank goodness! I am very glad to see Bono going to BOTH conventions! The AIDS issue needs everyone's help!

Just like I dont think it makes any difference to those that share the same dislike for Jesse Helms. Bono had him come to a show for crying out loud!!!

BUT the difference is, he never "honored" Jesse Helms. He only worked with him to get what he wanted. It is great to know that Bono was the one who totally changed Helm's views on AIDS, but having him backstage at a concert is not the same as honoring him. When you honor someone, you show your admiration and approval, and I have neither for T. Kennedy.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
This is by far one the funniest threads in the whole forum, it makes the stuff in "where the album has no name" humorless. I can't believe people are getting the panties in a wad about this.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

When has Bono ever come off as a conservative celebrity?

Bono's your friend? So is it a prerequisite for all your friends to agree with you politically? That sounds boring to me.

I never said he ever came off as a conservative celebrity. I was disappointed to see him supporting someone I sincerely dislike and do not think deserves honoring. When I said the 'friend' thing, I was trying to make a comparison, that it's like being 'mad' at a friend for doing something you don't approve of, but you'll get over it. We all have our own feelings, and no one can change that. Bonovoxsupastar, I want you to know that you are a big reason I try to avoid FYM- I am tired of you belittling me and my opinions and feelings. Then you add laughing faces. I could do the same to you but I am not that mean. Please don't drag your putdowns over here.

Predicted response from BVS: "No one put you down."

Oh, no, you can belittle and mock everything I say, even when revealing my deepest feelings, and add multiple laughing faces and that is not a putdown?

Yes you did. Your Jedi mind tricks will not work with me. Just because you don't understand how I feel and what I am trying to say does not make me stupid and laughable as you seem to think :down:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

I never said he ever came off as a conservative celebrity. I was disappointed to see him supporting someone I sincerely dislike and do not think deserves honoring. When I said the 'friend' thing, I was trying to make a comparison, that it's like being 'mad' at a friend for doing something you don't approve of, but you'll get over it. We all have our own feelings, and no one can change that. Bonovoxsupastar, I want you to know that you are a big reason I try to avoid FYM- I am tired of you belittling me and my opinions and feelings. Then you add laughing faces. I could do the same to you but I am not that mean. Please don't drag your putdowns over here.

Predicted response from BVS: "No one put you down."

Oh, no, you can belittle and mock everything I say, even when revealing my deepest feelings, and add multiple laughing faces and that is not a putdown?

Yes you did. Your Jedi mind tricks will not work with me. Just because you don't understand how I feel and what I am trying to say does not make me stupid and laughable as you seem to think :down:

Woah...wait a second! You are taking this WAY too personal. The laughing faces were at this thread in general, take note they came BEFORE your quote. The only reason I quoted you was that, yes I find it very odd that a fan equates their experience to being a friend and using that as reasoning to be upset with this person. But that was an entirely seperate statement. I should have made that more clear and I apologize.

Your dig at me about the reason you don't go to FYM is just ridiculous. Yes we have quarreled, but never have I got personal. If anyone got personal it was you. I'm sorry if you ever took anything I said as personal, but if you take a look at every interaction we've ever had you'll see that I kept it within the debate. I admit to once baiting you but that's it.

This isn't the thread you're looking for.

You can go about your business.

[/obi-wan]

:|
Seriously, this thread needs to go away, down the memory hole (how's that for mixing cultural references?).

promenade said:

so anyway...does anyone know when he'll actually be speaking at the dnc? this boston fan is attending tomorrow night!!!!
i don't see him listed as a speaker yet...

He is NOT speaking at the convention. He's appearing onstage at the tribute to Ted Kennedy, which is in an entirely different building.

He said he was attending each convention to work the crowds for support.

perhaps I should ask some of the other mods when it's a good enough reason to close a thread because merely looking at it makes me cry uncontrollably

but since I'm crying uncontrollably now I am emotionally unable to discuss this with anyone so I'll just close it

btw: Diemen :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom