Is Bono among top 5 Irish singers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
With so much great produce from Ireland, I who among you would rank Bono among the top 5 Irish singers of all time. Bono's got seriously stiff competition:

Sinead O Connor
Ronan Keating
Dolores O Riordan
Van Morrisson
Bob Geldof
Bono
Andrea Corr
Christy Mooore
Samantha Mumba

To me, I think he would make the top 5 Irish singers, I'm not quite sure which ranking yet though, I haven't given it a thought.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
With so much great produce from Ireland, I who among you would rank Bono among the top 5 Irish singers of all time. Bono's got seriously stiff competition:

Sinead O Connor
Ronan Keating
Dolores O Riordan
Van Morrisson
Bob Geldof
Bono
Andrea Corr
Christy Mooore
Samantha Mumba

To me, I think he would make the top 5 Irish singers, I'm not quite sure which ranking yet though, I haven't given it a thought.

Cheers,

J
Bono might be but what are you listing Ronan, Andrea, Samantha and even Sinead. There are alot better Irish grown talent then that!

Strato Edge said:
Bono is the best singer in the world... period

I love Bono's voice
but best in the world?

come now...try and be objective here

I wasn't asking about best voice but I was asking about the best singer. One can have a good voice and not be a good singer (Xtina Aguilera), while another can have zero vocal range and still be a good singer (Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash). I was wondering if Bono would rank among the top 5 or top 10 Irish singers of all time.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
I wasn't asking about best voice but I was asking about the best singer. One can have a good voice and not be a good singer (Xtina Aguilera), while another can have zero vocal range and still be a good singer (Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash). I was wondering if Bono would rank among the top 5 or top 10 Irish singers of all time.

vocal technique aside, yes he definitely is!

jick said:

Cheers,

J

I think I understand the distinction. If by being a good singer you mean being unique and being able to affect people emotionally, I would think Bono would have to rank in the top 5 or 10, not only among Irish singers but anyone in the world. But if you are talking about just having a good voice technically, I guess Bono wouldn't rank nearly as high. Opera singers would probably be on top of that list.

I definitely think he'd be in the top 5, even if he wasn't #1. Still, I don't know why Ronan, Andrea, or Samantha would even be in the same league as Bono, Van, Christy Moore, etc.

Glad someone suggested Shane MacGowan--another example of someone with no vocal range but who's a good singer.

What about Mary Black?

JessicaAnn said:
What about Brian Kennedy? Philip Lynott?

I was gonna get my spoke in about Brian Kennedy there :laugh:

At the moment Brian is my favourite over Bono :heart:

And Shane Mac Gowan :love:

Nobody has mentioned Luka Bloom, Phil Coulter, Tommy Makem, Enya......

I dont know if Bono would be in my top 5 though :shrug:

Random: I read somewhere that they think John Lennon should be regarded as one of top Irish singers ever because he his biographer said John thought of himself as Irish.

Lara Mullen said:

Nobody has mentioned Luka Bloom, Phil Coulter, Tommy Makem, Enya......

I like Bloom's voice a lot! I never knew he covered Bad until a guy I work with suggested I listen to him so I downloaded some songs. His voice sometimes reminds me of Jimmy Fallon's, lol.

Keocmb said:

I wasn't aware there were other Irish singers.

Hehe ... I looked at the thread title and couldn't think of any other Irish singers!

Bono and his vox definitely drown the rest of them out ... I say, maybe even if he's not the best technically, he's certainly the most entertaining and has such passion in his music that it can't be ignored!

:bono: :heart:

check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice check out damien rice

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Damien :heart:

Im still :shocked: that ppl didnt know other Irish singers existed.

Well I guess there are many disillusioned fans who think Bono is the greatest singer in the world. This thread just proves that it even still is debatable and not agree upon on who the best Irish singer is. And this is a U2 message board! If Bono can't even be unanimously agreed upon as the best Irish singer in a U2 forum ...then I'm sure you all know what people outside of a U2 forum think about Bono.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom