Is Bono a character....that Paul Hewson plays? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2002, 07:44 PM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:04 PM
Is Bono a character....that Paul Hewson plays?

We've got The Fly, and the Mirrorball Man. And of course there's the Mac daddy.

Is Bono a character?

Mmmmmm.....

SD

Old 07-15-2002, 07:56 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:04 PM

Old 07-15-2002, 07:59 PM   #3
New Yorker

Ah, lady, don't cry! I'se just thinking about performers and masks and how he's said he's used 'em to, you know, survive. LOL. Just me thinking, and prosrastinating, because I don't want to pack anymore and my house is in boxes.

Cheryl
Old 07-15-2002, 08:12 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yeah I think so. The Bono whose kids tell him to "turn down the Bono," whose wife tells him to climb off the kitchen table we're not 50,000 people.

But that's okay..... like edge said, he is a nice bunch of guys
Old 07-15-2002, 08:28 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
Yeah I think so. The Bono whose kids tell him to "turn down the Bono," whose wife tells him to climb off the kitchen table we're not 50,000 people.

But that's okay..... like edge said, he is a nice bunch of guys

Viva Bono!
Old 07-15-2002, 08:33 PM   #6
Forum Moderator
The Goal Is Soul

Local Time: 05:04 PM

I think Bono is a persona given to Paul Hewson at an early age, and he stepped into it quite nicely don't you think?

Chris
"The truth is when that singer is saying something that comes from right down within him, and it affects you right down within you. That's when you start talking about great music, as distinct from nice music." -- Bono
Old 07-15-2002, 08:48 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

At one point, I'm sure there was a difference between Paul Hewson and Bono. But I doubt their is anymore. Bono and Paul have fused into the same person.

How many people are still in Bono's life that he knew before he was "Bono"? His parents are dead, that leaves his brother and a few extended family members. Everyone else in his life came after the creation of Bono. It is who he is.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:42 PM   #8
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by madonna's child

How many people are still in Bono's life that he knew before he was "Bono"? His parents are dead, that leaves his brother and a few extended family members.
Ali knew him before he was Bono...so did Edge, Adam, Larry, and all those Lypton Village folks.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 07-15-2002, 10:37 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:04 PM
I was watching the Biography of Sandra Dee the other day and she was talking about being married to Bobby Darin. She said when he was getting ready, looked at himself in the mirror and said, "I am Walden Robert Cassotto, I am short and bald," and rattle off all these flaws he had, of course she interupted but he said back to her, "No, in this house I am Walden Robert Cassotto, out there I am Bobby Darin."
I think people do make those distinctions, have different personas that make it so much easier to deal with all the ups and downs of fame. If you have a good grasp on who you are aside from being this stage character, then maybe it's easier to cope with criticism and slumps because it's not really you they're dissing, you know that you're a parent, a sibbling, someone's kid, the person who makes your kids waffles on the weekend or whatever. Bono must have that Bono/Paul separation, it seems like it would be way too hard to keep sane otherwise.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:14 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:04 PM
I think Bono and Paul Hewson are one in the same!
Old 07-15-2002, 11:25 PM   #11
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:04 PM

- The Zoocifer -
Old 07-15-2002, 11:41 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by adamswildhoney
I think Bono and Paul Hewson are one in the same!
So do I. I don't think "Bono" is an act or whatever. It's the guy. We are talking about, uh, one person here..... I like to call him "the character who's never out of character". It's not possible for him to be "out of character" because that doesn't exist. We're looking at a flesh-and-blood human being who has some extraordinary qualities, to say the least. It's tough to imagine that it's one of us, one of our species, who has qualities like that. But it's true, ladies and gents.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:02 AM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by madonna's child
At one point, I'm sure there was a difference between Paul Hewson and Bono. But I doubt their is anymore. Bono and Paul have fused into the same person.

How many people are still in Bono's life that he knew before he was "Bono"? His parents are dead, that leaves his brother and a few extended family members. Everyone else in his life came after the creation of Bono. It is who he is.
I agree. Bono said the only person who called him Paul was his dad. So I think Bono and Paul fused together and are one now
Old 07-16-2002, 01:44 AM   #14
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I don't think Bono is a character at all - in the sense that Bono is an act that is separate from Paul Hewson. There's nothing false or put on about Bono - I think if anything Bono is merely an extension of Paul Hewson, an extension that is strengthened by being a huge rock star. I guess you could say that Bono is a side of Paul, just like we all have different sides. And often times those sides come out best in certain situations - like performers feel inspired in front of a large crowd or humanitarians feel inspired when they see those in desperate need of help. Paul Hewson has always had Bono in him, but that side of him gets to come out a lot more often because he's a rock star.

Oy, it sounds weird to talk about Bono separate from Paul Hewson. They're not 2 different people!
Old 07-16-2002, 05:15 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Oh my goodyness, I never thought of that!

I would say.......thats one fuking question well worth tinkin about!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2002, 05:15 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:04 AM
It sounds weird calling Bono "Paul" for some daft reason. I guess 'cos we all know and love him as Bono. Same with Edge.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:07 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

Ali knew him before he was Bono...so did Edge, Adam, Larry, and all those Lypton Village folks.
Well, he became Bono because of them. He made the transition to Bono as his friendships with those people blossomed. They helped create "Bono." I doubt they ever think of him as Paul. Except maybe Ali. I wouldn't be surprised if Ali gets the calmer, more conservative sides of Bono. The Paul Hewson side, if you will.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:59 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:04 AM

No.

I don't think there's a difference between Bono and Paul Hewson. Bono is just a nickname that stuck for a long time.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:18 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
I don't think Bono is a character at all - in the sense that Bono is an act that is separate from Paul Hewson. There's nothing false or put on about Bono - I think if anything Bono is merely an extension of Paul Hewson, an extension that is strengthened by being a huge rock star. I guess you could say that Bono is a side of Paul, just like we all have different sides.
I agree with Dieman here. I don't think Bono is an act or a character, it's just the side of Paul that comes out when he's in the spotlight. I'm sure Adam and Larry have rockstar sides and regular-life sides as well- it's just not as easy to see because they don't have nicknames. I really think that most famous people have to have some sort of a persona they use to deal with fame, otherwise their personal lives would no longer be personal at all and they'd go crazy.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:37 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
I think if anything Bono is merely an extension of Paul Hewson
I think that is a really good point. I think there is probably a Paul who is husband and father and friend, but there is a bigger "Bono" who is what other people see.