Is anyone else having a problem with this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I believe Bubba is.

Time and time again, our God (the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob for us Christians), has authorized or condoned the eradication of evil by full scale war.

Or do I have something wrong here?

This was an act of war. The bloodiest ever in the history of our nation.

Nobody is condoning killing innocent people. But make no mistake, those people that are dancing in the streets, celebrating the death of thousands of our citizens are our enemies. Their children and pets, and their entire households are our enemies, unfortunately.

It's very sad, but they wish us dead by any means. It's time to protect our nation.

Mark
http://www.mp3.com/madelyniris

Originally posted by MadelynIris:

Nobody is condoning killing innocent people. But make no mistake, those people that are dancing in the streets, celebrating the death of thousands of our citizens are our enemies. Their children and pets, and their entire households are our enemies, unfortunately.

It's very sad, but they wish us dead by any means. It's time to protect our nation.

Mark

I agree with Mark on this one. While I would certainly prefer to limit the loss of civilian lives wherever it is we retaliate, I'm not really bothered by the death of those dancing in the streets. And frankly if you're an American and the thought of killing those people DOES bother you, I think there's something a little bit wrong with you.

On the BBC there was a fella singing the praises of the attack and opening his store to the masses saying today was a day of celebration and they could take whatever they want from his store, no charge. My only thought was that he won't be laughing when we fire a cruise missile through his window. Moreover, there's a part of me that doesn't think killing those responsible is even good enough...but that's in part because I'm still fired up about it.

I don't know what the perfect response is. I don't think there is one, and I don't envy Mr. Bush or anyone else in government right now. But to say that turning the other cheek is the correct response is absurd. That's essentially saying "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

I think we know that when dealing with people who are willing to die for their cause that there is only so much you can do. If you're willing to die you can accomplish an awful lot. Obviously the best way to avoid a situation like this in the future is beefed up security at airlines.

What I do believe is that the most important thing Bush said last night was that we will treat those who harbor terrorists no different than the terrorist. That's the only way to stop, or at least slow down, mass terrorism in the future. Make sure the countries that would harbor and help them pay for it. How many leaders are going to give up their lives for the sake of terrorists? Some might, but I would be willing to bet that most wouldn't.

I don't think we should attack major civilian areas without good reason, but to sit on our hands would be foolish. The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Originally posted by MadelynIris:

But make no mistake, those people that are dancing in the streets, celebrating the death of thousands of our citizens are our enemies. Their children and pets, and their entire households are our enemies, unfortunately.

http://www.mp3.com/madelyniris

So you're saying that killing these particular children is okay?

Originally posted by ti-hua:
So you're saying that killing these particular children is okay?

I don't think anyone is condoning the killing of their children.

From a military perspective, what should we do then? They will hide behind their women and children forcing us to become "monsters" so we can become victims of our own and world media when we strike. They will die happy in their false beliefs of being rewarded for their acts of terror.

They could care less while we do care. For us to effectively take them out and not injure any "innocent" citizens, we are going to have to lose a lot more American livesw than we already have. And even then, they will still say we killed innocent civilians, so why fucking bother. Their people will see us as evil no matter what. Iraqi citizens' still believe THEY won the Gulf War.

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
And you become a monster
So the monster will not break you

???????

Am I the only one who sees the difference between an unprovoked attack DESIGNED to kill tens of thousands of civilians and a military response that *might* accidentally kill a few civilians?

Unbelievable.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba
September, streets capsizing,
Spilling over, down the drain

"You know, by God, I actually pity those poor bastards we're goin' up against. By God, I do. We're not just gonna shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy...bastards by the bushel."
from the film Patton

War in the name of God is one of the most dispicable acts of deception imaginable. It continues to sadden me that religion in any form continues to have a stranglehold on the minds of what can be a fully independent and conscious individual. The act of declaring war in the name of God by a Christian is no different than a muslim radical declaring Holy War against a nation, individual, or other religion. The human psyche can and will rationalise anything it wants with false logic, non sequitors, and pseudo science.

With that said, action should be swift, decisive and rationally thought out while cooperating with other World Governments and NATO. A lot of lives will probably be lost, but personally I don't want Bin Laden to be killed. I wish him to be put on trial before the world and imprisoned for life so that he may watch the US, world trade, democracy and all that he hates continue on with life.

It is likely that the world anti-terrorist coalition that is forming between nations and NATO will be given an unprecidented level of power to irradicate world terrorism through the use of just and judicial means. This must be executed, and it must be executed rationally and judiciously.

I think it will become increasingly difficult for terrorists to pull this sort of action off in the future. However, what truley concerns me is that these people could very possibly have suitcase nukes and biological warfare agents smuggled into world cities already. It is likely that the US investigation will turn up ties to IRAQ, which has demonstrated that they can manufacture biological weapons.

However we pursue this, we must do so with the utmost rational and judicial process we can. Anything less can lead us into a very dire escalation. I guarantee you Bin Laden wants a Holy War. It is his duty to self fulfill what he sees as his destiny and the fulfillment of "prophecy." Make no mistake that his actions of terrorism are calculated to provoke this type of response that we are seeing amongst a lot of people, including Christians. It is apparent that to a great extent he has succeeded, and I hope that instead we respond rationally and don't play along with his ridiculous perceptions of reality.

~

I posted this in U2girl's thread. Like it or not I bet this is how a lot of people feel right now.

10,000 or more potentially killed would be enough grounds for a war for me. We're not talking one plane with 250 people here...we're talking thousands of people. The last time I checked that scale of killing constitutes an act of war for most people.

------------------
We turn away to face the cold, enduring chill
As the day begs the night for mercy
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of the earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill

Originally posted by MSU2mike:

I'm not really bothered by the death of those dancing in the streets. And frankly if you're an American and the thought of killing those people DOES bother you, I think there's something a little bit wrong with you.

There is nothing wrong with me, MSU2Mike. I understand how angry you could feel against these "baddies". But honestly, could you really stomach seeing one of those people (who danced in the streets) being shot IN FRONT OF YOU? You're telling me that while they will be pleading for their life and regretting their mistakes and retching, you'll nod approvingly? That, to me, is as heartless as killing 10,000 people. All murder is murder. So, I do hope you will reconsider your stance on retribution.

foray

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Am I the only one who sees the difference between an unprovoked attack DESIGNED to kill tens of thousands of civilians and a military response that *might* accidentally kill a few civilians?

Unbelievable.

For me, no killing is better then any other. Was it unprovoked? It might look like that for us in the west. Even though we maybe haven't killed any by bombs or in a militaric way (well, we have done that as well), I'm definatly sure we are responsible for a lot of lives in other ways, but they are taken, one by one, in all different kind of ways that we could have prevent and because not all have been killed at the same time we look innocent to ourselves.

I'm not standing behind this at all, don't think that, I just think that all kind of killing is wrong and to kill more people doesn't help anyone. Instead, stand up, proud to say that your country didn't kept on with this stupid handlings and put all energy and money into finding the actually persons behind this and get them, without getting ANY innocent persons.

We have to look at ourselves, are we really better then them? We maybe just have different kind of ways of how we tear people down.... Just give it a thought...

"There's many lost, but tell me who has won
"

Do we need to loose more? Who would win?
Noone!

Unbelievable.
Nope, I certainly undrestand, and am right there with ya, Bubba.

Unbelievable.

One of my posts was trying to make that point exactly. Guess no one noticed.

Originally posted by AM:
I?m not saying that those responsible for this act shouldn?t be punished. But condemming and bombing innocent people IS NOT the right way. This will make us just as bad as those who commited the crime. We must not punish an entire nation because some of their countrymen are responsible.

I second that AM, and this attack is a
product of revenge.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

Back
Top Bottom