Is anyone else annoyed by Bono's overblown ego?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I love you Bono, but come on. This guy has a huge ego, and it's definitely not an attractive trait. He constantly calls himself cute little nick names, supposedly joking, but probably partioally serious too (little Jesus).

Just watch him on stage, he acts like he's God's gift to humanity. Watch the Superbowl performance for an obvious example. It really gets on my nerves and kind of sickens me. What's even worse is his fans. Why must you scream and faint when Bono notices you're alive? You're just contributing to his overbloated ego.

Bono, you're a cool guy and all, but you're no little Jesus. Also, please stop acting like you're hot stuff on stage.

I think confidence is a must and don't find him arrogant at all. I find him to be actually pretty humble at times.

But please show me a rock star that doesn't have an ego.

Is this your alterego? http://forum.interference.com/t121294.html

Two threads on the same topic within three minutes. Good grief.

And if it weren't for the constant jabs at Bono for his supposed overblown ego, I wouldn't have even thought about his ego. It's not as if he runs around singing "I am so great, come worship me as your god!"

Not every musician struts around on stage like Bono does. Look at every other member of the band for example.

I wasn't even aware that other thread existed. I'm not commenting on his "little Jesus" comment so much as his usual attitude while performing.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
Not every musician struts around on stage like Bono does. Look at every other memer of the band for example.

Yes, because it's reasonable to compare the lead singer with the drummer.

Sure Bono has an ego. I don't obsess about him 24/7 so he doesn't get obnoxious to me on any given day.

shart1780 said:
Not every musician struts around on stage like Bono does. Look at every other memer of the band for example.

Then tell us, what exactly do you think a frontman is supposed to do?

A frontman can have energy and presence without acting like God's gift to us. He seems to put on an act to look incredibly cool all the time. Like I said, watch the superbowl show.

His ego is very obviously larger than most musicians'. There's a reason even non-U2 fans are always commenting on it.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
A frontman can have energy and presence without acting like God's gift to us. He seems to put on an act to look incredibly cool all the time. Like I said, watch the superbowl show.

What about the Super Bowl appearance? He put on a good show. I honestly don't see this over-inflated ego you're talking about.

shart1780 said:

His ego is very obviously larger than most musicians'. There's a reason even non-U2 fans are always commenting on it.

I sense a little jealousy maybe?

But seriously what are you talking about, I've seen the Superbowl and have no clue what you are talking about.

The only time I recall being annoyed by Bono was when he used to jam the camera in his crotch or the time he laid down during the Boston DVD while singing With or Without You. You can't do that song justice laying down on the ground! Seriously, it's usually little things like that.

I figure it takes a healthy amount of swagger and bravado to make a really riveting frontman -- and Bono has those in spades. Most of the time I find Bono's shtick amusing and even endearing.

Watching him closely over the years, it seems like deep inside he's really an awkward, clumsy, even insecure, kind of guy. Perhaps he overcompensates a bit when performing or in the public eye? I don't know, but he's such a thoroughly decent human being that I'm never bothered by it.

Last edited:
I'm just saying, everyone notices it.

I've casually mentioned U2 to plenty of people only to hear them say "I don't really like Bono/Isn't Bono that guy with a huge ego?".

People notice it, he's known for it.

shart1780 said:
I love you Bono, but come on. This guy has a huge ego, and it's definitely not an attractive trait. He constantly calls himself cute little nick names, supposedly joking, but probably partioally serious too (little Jesus).

Just watch him on stage, he acts like he's God's gift to humanity. Watch the Superbowl performance for an obvious example. It really gets on my nerves and kind of sickens me. What's even worse is his fans. Why must you scream and faint when Bono notices you're alive? You're just contributing to his overbloated ego.

Bono, you're a cool guy and all, but you're no little Jesus. Also, please stop acting like you're hot stuff on stage.

You know, by exercising a little IT savvy you could easily find out enough personal info about many of the 'U2 haters' who post on here to get yourself a list of their home addresses. Then you could hunt them down yourself, firebomb their houses, assault and rape their spouses and children, trap and mutilate their pets, etc. You know, instead of continuing to post this kind of pathetic, 'tongue-in-cheek,' infantile whining-about-whining shit.

shart1780 said:
I'm just saying, everyone notices it.

I've casually mentioned U2 to plenty of people only to hear them say "I don't really like Bono/Isn't Bono that guy with a huge ego?".

People notice it, he's known for it.

Except for the part where you can't speak for 'everyone'. When I casually mention U2 to people, they'll say how much they admire Bono for his passionate sincerity and his charity work - though only after mentioning the music that U2 are first and foremost famous for.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No, I mean I've only heard 2 people in my life that have mentioned his "ego".

So it's not bias.

And I've never heard one, except on U2 fan forums. So mentioning Bono's ego isn't exactly some worldwide epidemic that afflicts all non-fans.

shart1780 said:
Hmmm... I dunno. I hear it all the time though. Definitely more than twice.

I work with a guy who doesn't like U2. His reason? "That Bono guy spends too much time doing charity work." That sure doesn't sound like someone complaining about his ego!

Bono's ego is so bad. I can't believe the shit he's pulling by helping africa and being there for 9/11. Omg! Someone just tell Bono to not do anything anymore...

</sarcasm>

What about Jim Morrison? He wasn't exactly your humble rocker now, was he? Mr. Mojo Rising indeed! And Liam 'spit at the audience' Galagher as somebody said. Or even Roger 'spit at a fan / dominate and take over the band' Waters? But I have to agree that some people do get put off by Bono's (I would like to call it confidence that comes off as inflated ego) and as a result dismiss (miss out on) their music.

The Police were the biggest band in the world in 1984. And what did their lead singer-Mr. 'Big Ego' Sting do?...and now look at him, he sucks! he deserves it tho. I just hope The Police get back together someday. But now i'm wandering off topic.

Oo yea how bout Mick Jagger in the 1980's? He ditched the Stones and made his own album and did the Live Aid show on his own.

You know, Bono once said that he needs 20,000 people
"screaming" .... to make him feel "normal", when he performs...
So ..... I DON'T think he is God's gift to us at all....
I believe WE ARE God's gift to him , instead.
Because without the audience's energy, Bono would NOT be able to "give back" anything to us in return....
Watching the "Super Bowl Halftime Show" explains this theory, as well ..... that was one of Bono's "BEST" performances EVER ....
(besides "Live Aid" / "Net Aid" / and "The Rock-N-Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony" ..... just to name a few more "bests" too.)

Look at Bono's crazy ego. He is a rock star, and he should stay on stage and sing the songs. Who does he think he is by interacting with the audience? And what's all this crap about helping Africa? What's he trying to do? Use his popular status as an opportunity to do good in this world? He is going way too far with that. And that whole 9/11 thing at the Super Bowl. What a big ego....he dedicated the performance to those who passed away on 9/11. WHAT AN EGOTISTICAL THING TO DO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom