Is anyone else annoyed by Bono's overblown ego?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one person who's not annoyed by Bono's "ego" because I know that he is using his "ego" and his prominent celebrity for something good.

I think the question should be: why would anyone be concerned about Bono's "ego". Shouldn't we be more concerned about what we're either doing or not doing in our own lives?

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER.... :yes:

shart1780 said:
I love you Bono, but come on. This guy has a huge ego, and it's definitely not an attractive trait. He constantly calls himself cute little nick names, supposedly joking, but probably partioally serious too (little Jesus).

Just watch him on stage, he acts like he's God's gift to humanity. Watch the Superbowl performance for an obvious example. It really gets on my nerves and kind of sickens me. What's even worse is his fans. Why must you scream and faint when Bono notices you're alive? You're just contributing to his overbloated ego.

Bono, you're a cool guy and all, but you're no little Jesus. Also, please stop acting like you're hot stuff on stage.

Wow... are you new? That is, are you new to rock music? Never heard of Elvis? John Lennon? Elton John? Mick Jagger? David Bowie?

All of the best and most memorable rock artists have not only had a lot of self-confidence, but they come across as a bit arrogant on stage or in their antics. But in their personal lives, they are different. Turn on the camera and they "perform".

This is Bono. I've read too many stories how in more intimate settings he has many doubts - often relying on his bandmates to tell him if a vocal is good or not.

So yeah, he can be a bit of a pain, but lets see... he's been this way for 20+ years. And just now you are realizing this? Again, are you new?

I think if his ego was that bad, he wouldnt have been in the same band for 25 years.
As for his "stage prescence", i'd just call that confidence.

Non-fans think he has a big ego. True fans know that it is more complicated than that. What have you just shown yourself to be, Shart?

bono is a showman.
of course he has an ego.
he also has a vulnerable and humble side that is readily apparent to anyone who is even vaguely aware of his daily life.
i just laugh when people say they hate bono's ego or whatever.
they can kiss his ass.
i will never be annoyed by his ego.
his decency way overrides it.
the ego is the reason he has accomplished things everyone else could only dream of.

bsp77 said:
Non-fans think he has a big ego. True fans know that it is more complicated than that. What have you just shown yourself to be, Shart?

I think that's uncalled for. No one has the right to call themselves bigger fans than anyone else. We're all fans.

That being said I think Shart has some ego issues himself; claiming to speak for "everyone" and building threads without any examples or facts.

Originally posted by unosdostres14
Who does he think he is by interacting with the audience? And what's all this crap about helping Africa? What's he trying to do? Use his popular status as an opportunity to do good in this world? He is going way too far with that. And that whole 9/11 thing at the Super Bowl. What a big ego....he dedicated the performance to those who passed away on 9/11. WHAT AN EGOTISTICAL THING TO DO!

Bono interacts with the audience because he enjoys doing so.
U2 has thanked all their fans for their success, numerous times
before, and truly interacting with the audience (fans) is one way
to express how thankful and grateful to us they really are .... Also, trying to help 6,000 Africans who are dying each day from a
preventable and treatable disease... like AIDS... isn't a crap issue.
When Bono went to work in refugee camps in Ethiopa and saw
the devastation surrounding that country... well, that was one
inspiring moment that totally changed his purpose in life... another was performing at Live Aid. These are reasons why he fights for alot of humanitarian causes, including Africa. Being a celebrity, only helps get the message spread faster that we need to help solve these problems before it's too late..
And 9/11 at the Super Bowl?
The only thing 9/11 was their video screen showing the list of people who died .... that was such a "spiritual" experience and a "moving" performance of "Where The Streets Have No Name" .. that no one will ever forget that ... and how U2's music had become more "meaningful" after 9/11 happened .....
So, give me a break... that had nothing at all to do with their ego..
It sounds like you have a "jealous" ego yourself, here... :mad:

There is a difference between person and persona. Bono on stage is working his 'persona'....in private, according to people I met in Dublin when I was working there over the summer, he is rather soft-spoken...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think that's uncalled for. No one has the right to call themselves bigger fans than anyone else. We're all fans.

That being said I think Shart has some ego issues himself; claiming to speak for "everyone" and building threads without any examples or facts.

Possibly uncalled for, but I was reacting more to the attitude versus the statement. I am also a little pissed at the moment because of people dissing the Pope right now. Completely unrelated, but I do not think people should bash the Pope right now. I am not Catholic but it is just wrong. I did not like Reagan but did not bash him when he died.

Sorry, off topic.

Shart, two things: 1) You are Not a girl, so please change your profile. This has been pointed out to you 3 million times , and you're still a "girl", but you insist you're a "boy". So which is it? 2) You are the same person who insisted vehemently, on another forum, for days on end, that Bono cannot be a true Christian because he drinks alcohol.
You are always finding an axe to grind about Bono. What is it about him that challenges you so? Just wondering. :eyebrow:

I'm not trying to be mean, but you are indeed quite the character.:)

Last edited:
biff said:
that Bono cannot be a true Christian because he drinks alcohol.

:lol: :lol: :lol: If that's true than it's hypocricy at it's best. I never understood "Christians" like that.

Hello, Jesus' first miracle...but now I'm off topic.

unosdostres14 said:

YEESH!....i think you need to take a valium or something....

This is hilarious. If you had just added a :wink: to that post of yours at the very end, the unnecessary exchange of words could've been avoided. Although, it was pretty clear you were sarcastic.

Neither have I...Sure, abuse of alcohol reveals that you are idolizing it...but so does abuse of food and many other things. Quite frankly views like this on Christianity....which make it seem like a "Don't do...." club frustrate me. I personally see sins of omission..like taking advantage knowingly of 3rd world labor or ignoring a brother/sister in need on the same plane as drinking too much...but they are less cosmetic sins...its easy to label the drunkard...its not so easy to label sins underneath the surface...

unosdostres14 said:

YEESH!....i think you need to take a valium or something....

The truth of the matter is that Bono "inspires" me when it
comes to all the "good" he does in this "B.S." world....

As for the valium comment ..... I could say the same to you !!!

shart1780 said:
I love you Bono, but come on. This guy has a huge ego, and it's definitely not an attractive trait. He constantly calls himself cute little nick names, supposedly joking, but probably partioally serious too (little Jesus).

Just watch him on stage, he acts like he's God's gift to humanity. Watch the Superbowl performance for an obvious example. It really gets on my nerves and kind of sickens me. What's even worse is his fans. Why must you scream and faint when Bono notices you're alive? You're just contributing to his overbloated ego.

Bono, you're a cool guy and all, but you're no little Jesus. Also, please stop acting like you're hot stuff on stage.

I think it's you I'm annoyed by, not Bono
:madspit:

Zootlesque said:

This is hilarious. If you had just added a :wink: to that post of yours at the very end, the unnecessary exchange of words could've been avoided. Although, it was pretty clear you were sarcastic.

We're u2 fans....we argue!

xana dew said:
The only time I recall being annoyed by Bono was when he used to jam the camera in his crotch or the time he laid down during the Boston DVD while singing With or Without You. You can't do that song justice laying down on the ground! Seriously, it's usually little things like that.

I figure it takes a healthy amount of swagger and bravado to make a really riveting frontman -- and Bono has those in spades. Most of the time I find Bono's shtick amusing and even endearing.

Watching him closely over the years, it seems like deep inside he's really an awkward, clumsy, even insecure, kind of guy. Perhaps he overcompensates a bit when performing or in the public eye? I don't know, but he's such a thoroughly decent human being that I'm never bothered by it.

:applaud: WELL SAID. Couldn't agree more.

Zootlesque said:
What about Jim Morrison? He wasn't exactly your humble rocker now, was he? Mr. Mojo Rising indeed!

:lmao: I really like loads of The Doors' music. I remember a review of Fatboy Slim's single in which he sampled some Morrison vocals:

'Sunset (Bird Of Prey)' is Jim Morrison, the same fat fool who expired in his bathtub, babbling over some incredibly lame elevator muzak...
:lmao: harsh, but still :lmao:

And Liam 'spit at the audience' Galagher as somebody said. Or even Roger 'spit at a fan / dominate and take over the band' Waters? But I have to agree that some people do get put off by Bono's (I would like to call it confidence that comes off as inflated ego) and as a result dismiss (miss out on) their music.

Well said - again! :up:

Last edited:
Yeah....I am sick of Bono's huge ego. How can he jokingly call himself the 'little lord jesus'....why can't he have more class and be like the Beatles.

(who proclaimed themselves as bigger than Jesus :lol:)

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS COMPLETE SARCASM AND DOES NOT, IN IT'S LITERAL MEANING, ACCURATELY REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF THE AUTHOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom