Is "All Because Of You" about Bono's father?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevink

The Fly
I just heard the 53 second clip for the first time, and I'm excited! The quality isn't very good and I can tell it was recorded from outside a window, but the finished version will be awesome! This also sounds to me like a more mature version of "Boy". And has anyone else noticed that BOY is in ABOY? Anyways, everyone is posting about the way it sounds but I haven't seen any posts on the meaning of the lyrics. Here are the lyrics thanks to Aussieu2fanman:

VERSE

I was born, a child of grace
Built this town in my own space
Everything was lovely such a beautiful place
You left me no illusion
Stole your hand across the world
Shadow cast across my room
You ailing is my cue
The light in the confusion

CHORUS

All because of you
ALLLLL because of you
All because of you
I am, ALIVE, mmm

If "I Will Follow" was about Bono's mother, wouldn't it make sense if this is about Bono's father? Of course since we don't have the lyrics to the entire song we can't be sure entirely what the song is about, but "I was born" and "All because of you I am alive" make it obvious to me that the song could be about Bono's father.

Last edited:
I would have thought that Bono's father would have had a great influence in his song writing for this album.

Makes a lot of sense what you say. I really like the lyrics so far...

celia said:
I would have thought that Bono's father would have had a great influence in his song writing for this album.

Yes, I agree. I can imagine a lot of what's on the album will be either 1. in tribute to people who have passed, most notably Bono's father, and/or 2. the climate of tension in the world. When I think about one, I imagine more I Will Follows and Mofos, and when I think of two, I imagine more New Year's Days.

Back
Top Bottom