Ireland vacation - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
Babyface
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Ireland vacation

Can anyone tell me the cool "U2" places to visit during my upcoming trip to Ireland?
__________________

bb4u2 is offline  
Old 03-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
roy
Refugee
 
roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dun Laoghaire
Posts: 1,505
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Re: Ireland vacation

Quote:
Originally posted by bb4u2
Can anyone tell me the cool "U2" places to visit during my upcoming trip to Ireland?
Bono's house, turn right as you come out of the train station at Killiney and continue up the hill. You can't miss the gates.
__________________

roy is offline  
Old 03-17-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 01:20 PM
The Irish Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They have an entire floor dedicated to U2. I think they have the actual Fly suit or the Fly shades there. They also have the lyrics to songs that Bono wrote. Its a cool exhibit
Pearl is offline  
Old 03-17-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
miss becky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,107
Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pearl
The Irish Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They have an entire floor dedicated to U2. I think they have the actual Fly suit or the Fly shades there. They also have the lyrics to songs that Bono wrote. Its a cool exhibit
Actually, I thought this didn't exist anymore. We tried to find it when we were in Dublin in October, and we were told it has closed.

Can anyone in Dublin confirm this?
miss becky is offline  
Old 03-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 01:20 PM
Really? The whole Hall of Fame?
Pearl is offline  
Old 03-17-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
miss becky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,107
Local Time: 01:20 PM
That's what we were told. We found a street sign for it, and we walked around the block several times before finally going into a shop and asking for directions. But for all I know, someone was having a joke at our expense. That's why I wondered if anyone in Dublin could confirm the truth of this.
miss becky is offline  
Old 03-17-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
The Fly
 
u2grace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 159
Local Time: 01:20 PM
I was there 2 years ago and was told the Hall of FAme was no more.
As for other things to see - the fan graffiti on the walls around Bono's house as well as at Windmill are really great. Have a drink at the Octagon Bar at the Clarence Hotel too!
There was a great shop right on the river, not far from the Clarence. The name escapes me, but it had a big yellow sign - they had all sorts of U2 bootlegs and rare stuff. You could spend all your money there alone. Have fun on your trip - I'll be there again for one of the June shows - can't wait!
u2grace is offline  
Old 03-18-2005, 03:06 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
miss becky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,107
Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2grace
I was there 2 years ago and was told the Hall of FAme was no more.
As for other things to see - the fan graffiti on the walls around Bono's house as well as at Windmill are really great. Have a drink at the Octagon Bar at the Clarence Hotel too!
There was a great shop right on the river, not far from the Clarence. The name escapes me, but it had a big yellow sign - they had all sorts of U2 bootlegs and rare stuff. You could spend all your money there alone. Have fun on your trip - I'll be there again for one of the June shows - can't wait!
Yes! The Windmill Lane studios are a must-see. The wall of graffiti alone makes the trip worth it.
miss becky is offline  
Old 03-18-2005, 05:47 AM   #9
Acrobat
 
Bona Vox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: missing Dublin
Posts: 342
Local Time: 06:20 PM
I was in Dublin last summer!

I visited Hanover Quay Studios, the Clarence, Bona Vox Hearing Aid... and KILLINEY! It is such a great place! Loved it. You should go up to Killiney Hill and you have a nice view all over Dublin!
(To go to B's house go by DART to Killiney station and you can already see it... S.o told me to get out of the train at Dalkey and I had to walk for about an hour before I reached B's house. But I didn't mind because I had a great view of Killiney Bay! OK- I asked a few persons where to go to B's house and they weren't that happy about that ;-)

What about THE wall at Windmill Lane?! Heard it doesn't exist any more!
Bona Vox is offline  
Old 03-18-2005, 06:02 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
Aardvark747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Obscured By Clouds...
Posts: 22,368
Local Time: 06:20 PM
www.atu2.com

Has got some useful stuff listed. I used their maps and directions for when I went over there a few weeks ago.
Aardvark747 is offline  
Old 03-18-2005, 06:05 AM   #11
Refugee
 
bedouin fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: lisbon
Posts: 1,375
Local Time: 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747
www.atu2.com

Has got some useful stuff listed. I used their maps and directions for when I went over there a few weeks ago.
it's my advice as well, this is a great guide. i visited dublin last year and followed this one.

don't forget the bonavox store.
bedouin fire is offline  
Old 03-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #12
New Yorker
 
digsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,853
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by miss becky
That's what we were told. We found a street sign for it, and we walked around the block several times before finally going into a shop and asking for directions. But for all I know, someone was having a joke at our expense. That's why I wondered if anyone in Dublin could confirm the truth of this.
thats exactly waht i did - pretty sure it's been shut
digsy is offline  
Old 03-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #13
New Yorker
 
digsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,853
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2grace
I was there 2 years ago and was told the Hall of FAme was no more.
As for other things to see - the fan graffiti on the walls around Bono's house as well as at Windmill are really great. Have a drink at the Octagon Bar at the Clarence Hotel too!
There was a great shop right on the river, not far from the Clarence. The name escapes me, but it had a big yellow sign - they had all sorts of U2 bootlegs and rare stuff. You could spend all your money there alone. Have fun on your trip - I'll be there again for one of the June shows - can't wait!
they no longer sell bootlegs - laws got tighter and they got threatened with court action so no more bootlegs. they do have a lot of cool memorabilia and collectables behind the counter all of which are for sale except the prices are about 2-3 times what you'd pay on ebay.
still a pretty cool collection to look at though and if you want something signed or dublin authentic and dont mind the cost then thats the place to go.
cant remember the name but its on the river edge just up from the centre of the temple bar.

theres also another little record store in an alleyway about 2 roads down from there that has a bit of U2 stuff - not as much as the other place but theres this cool picture of the band really young sitting in the archway of the alley right outside the shop door. its random but quite cool to look at the picture and then step out onto the exact place where it was taken


oh, and you absolutely HAVE to go the the Octagon bar, i love that place more than any other, really i do
digsy is offline  
Old 03-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #14
New Yorker
 
digsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,853
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bona Vox

What about THE wall at Windmill Lane?! Heard it doesn't exist any more!
i saw the pictures of the demolition.
it looks like the wall demolished is the one opposite the studios so there should still be other whole side of the road covered in graffiti including the wall of the studios itself. i'm not certain for sure but i remember the building opposite being scheduled for destruction and the photo i've seen does look like it might be the other side of the road. i'm trying to huntdown my photos of it to make sure but thats what i think has happened
__________________

digsy is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×