INXS/U2 - Slide Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
A friend of mine just gave me a copy of INXS and U2 doing Slide Away. This song is really awesome!!!

Just wanted to share that:) I'm a tool, I know:):lol:

:wave:

If I'm not mistaken, to be even more accurate, Bono finished the song after Michael's death.

It's pretty haunting and I was teary after I heard it the first time.

I really like the song, but am I alone in feeling that it would've been better without Bono?

I think I listen to this song everyday. It's by far my favorite of Bono's collaborative works.

But you tore a hole in space
Like a dark star falls from grace
You burn across the sky
And I would find you wings to fly
And I would catch you
I would catch your fall

I LOVE this song. I've got Michael Hutchence's solo album and this is definitely my favourite song on it.
The story about it is that it was the only song that was unfinished vocally when MH died so Bono stepped in to finish the vocals and he also wrote the last verse (the one that LivLuvAndBootlegMusic just posted :)) as a kind of tribute to him :)
Gorgeous song :yes:

U2@NYC - It's really good actually! I took a gamble and bought it having only heard Slide Away but I'm really glad I got it! It's quite diverse, and it's not really like any INXS stuff.
You can actually listen to 30 secs of each track HERE but I dind't know that before :eeklaugh:
It's certainly worth a listen at least! :yes:

I was a huge INXS fan, so I bought the album. I liked it well enough, but nothing really stands out in particular except for "Slide Away," which I love.

theres no doubt its a great song

i think bono's vocals were added in because the producers thought hutchence's vocals were a bit rough around the edges or somewhere along those lines

the sad thing is bono's voice is way more defining than hutchence's, but still it couldnt be done any better in my opinion

Bono always misses the boat on duets. He duets with an over-the-hill Frank Sinatra, then he duets with a dead Michael Hutchence. He also duets with a nobody in that Sweet Fire Of Love, then with an over-the-hill Mick Jagger on Joy and a no-longer-relevant Lou Reed on Satellite Of Love ZOO Tv live version. Bono only made good with the duet with the Corrs.

Meanwhile, other artists are boosting their careers but dueting with "in" acts as compared to "has beens". Mariah Carey was quick to catch Boyz II Men in the early 90's when they were still the hot commodities. The Counting Crows just did a brilliant move by getting Vanessa Carlton. Santana got Rob Thomas and Michelle Branch. Ricky Martin and Xtina Aguilera also did a duet. Let's not forget the great RUN DMC-Aerosmith duet.

So what's with U2? Why duet with over-the-hill people or dead people? I'd rather have see Bono do some work with the "in" acts of today.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

jick said:
So what's with U2? Why duet with over-the-hill people or dead people? I'd rather have see Bono do some work with the "in" acts of today.
I'd rather hear Bono work with "has-beens" who are still remembered and (for the most part) respected for their contribution to the world of music than the talentless flavor of the week that no one will remember in twenty years. Santana's recent albums are going to feel very dated in that much time.

In any case, I don't think they should do any duets as marketing decisions or anything silly like that. They should work with artists they respect, old or new. I'm sure there are a lot of current artists who will still be respected decades into the future, but they're probably not the ones that make the guaranteed hits.

typhoon said:

I'd rather hear Bono work with "has-beens" who are still remembered and (for the most part) respected for their contribution to the world of music than the talentless flavor of the week that no one will remember in twenty years. Santana's recent albums are going to feel very dated in that much time.

In any case, I don't think they should do any duets as marketing decisions or anything silly like that. They should work with artists they respect, old or new. I'm sure there are a lot of current artists who will still be respected decades into the future, but they're probably not the ones that make the guaranteed hits.

I think I will be eating my words soon enough! I heard Bono would do a duet with J.Lo.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

jick said:
I think I will be eating my words soon enough! I heard Bono would do a duet with J.Lo.

It's been confirmed... the duet cover of Baby Got Back will be released in March of next year, with re-worked lyrics by Bono.

:up:

It will be an EP... a juicey double if you will.

Hey fellas? Fellas?

Dial 1-800 BonoVox.

Baby Got Back.

:sexywink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom