Invisible Discussion Thread II (Do not post song requests - discussion only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About 65% of me thinks we're looking at a Summer release.

The other 35% believes the album is coming out before the end of the month in a surprise release fashion.

Something is happening...why is Bono doing a radio interview...why is he obviously talking around the album...why is Invisible being released now if the album is 4 months away...why is there a video...why are they doing the Tonight Show...why...why...why???

Something is happening...why is Bono doing a radio interview...why is he obviously talking around the album...why is Invisible being released now if the album is 4 months away...why is there a video...why are they doing the Tonight Show...why...why...why???

He's doing radio interviews because a new track was released yesterday in a rather grand fashion, and it's been getting lots of downloads and positive reviews.

He's talking about the album because he was asked.

If it isn't dropping tonight at midnight, or immediately following the Tonight Show they're missing the biggest opportunities of their lives. :madwife:

Of course, other 'new studio/city' thing could not have to do with recording the band at all - overseeing a string section or something.

Occam's Razor says yes.

I borrowed Occam's razor once, it was blunt and I nicked my ballbag :yikes:

Swine Occam
angry.gif

He did catch my sack fungus on his face though, it serves him right for being the simplest theory.

:reject:

I actually really don't think there's any chance of them doing a surprise launch, in April or June or whenever. If this were hot on the heels of a lot of success - maybe, but I think they'll be very careful with this. My bet is it will be more like the ATYCLB launch. Far more working band than headliner. They'll get out there and sell it, show to show, city to city, country to country. They did a lot of TV for ATYCLB, in what, 4-5 countries? That + the two club gigs they did in Paris and New York. I think something like that is far more likely.

One of three things is going on here...

1) The album isn't quite done, but they're already confident enough in it to release a song. Meanwhile they have someone like Epworth picking it apart to see if there's any way to make the album even better.

2) They're about to surprise us with an album in the next couple of weeks.

3) The album is done but they're waiting to June to release it because of some sort of marketing strategy... like releasing two singles before the album drops.

Edge is on Jo Wiley tomorrow isn't he? 2 interviews in 2 days plus Fallon all for one song?

I actually really don't think there's any chance of them doing a surprise launch, in April or June or whenever. If this were hot on the heels of a lot of success - maybe, but I think they'll be very careful with this. My bet is it will be more like the ATYCLB launch. Far more working band than headliner. They'll get out there and sell it, show to show, city to city, country to country. They did a lot of TV for ATYCLB, in what, 4-5 countries? That + the two club gigs they did in Paris and New York. I think something like that is far more likely.

I agree. They're going to go back to the "we've got something to prove/ fight to regain biggest band in the world title" grind. They're at that point again where they need to fight against something. It's part of what makes them who they are. It happens in cycles, along with the popularity of the albums.

I believe OL and Invisible were put out there to test the water. Testing for the public reaction to both the sounds they're putting out (old sound vs. electronic), and "oh wow, U2 is coming out with something new?" vs. "Ugh, U2 has a new album".

These new songs have touches of the familiar U2 and some new touches. I'd be willing to bet they're listening to the responses to see which direction they go with the new album.

I'd also be willing to bet the songs are pretty much done, but they're going to finish and release the album in the sound that the public embraces more with OL, Invisible, and anything else they decide to roll out in the next few months.

Edge is on Jo Wiley tomorrow isn't he? 2 interviews in 2 days plus Fallon all for one song?

If he is, I think he's not going to say more than what Bono has said. I hope to be wrong, but it really looks like they are keeping all of this locked up. :shrug:

Exactly...seems like a lot of promotion for a charity song (which will no longer be for charity or available come 12:00 a.m. EST tonight)...and his answer regarding the album on the BBC show was kind of weird...said something without saying anything. Bono is not secretive, so he's being gagged to some extent...that's what I heard...again, I know nothing.

Ummm don't know if this has been reported here but a very interesting final line in the LA Times review of invisible that was just published today. And of course they've seemingly had more access to the band than just about anyone the past few months.

It says don't be surprised if U2 pulls a Beyoncé and releases the album suddenly.

Very interesting.

I have no sources to speak of, only my ol' buddy Occam. Just called him. He said that if U2 think they can sell an extra 500k-1m copies by releasing the album in Q4, they'll release it in Q4.

I agree. They're going to go back to the "we've got something to prove/ fight to regain biggest band in the world title" grind. They're at that point again where they need to fight against something. It's part of what makes them who they are. It happens in cycles, along with the popularity of the albums.

Right, but I think with far less bombast this time. Not 'reapplying for the job/biggest band in the world', which was pretty cringey. Bono already has the sales pitch down, and we're going to hear it a million more times - does anyone really need another U2 album? - that's a bit different.

Back
Top Bottom