Intransigence is all around...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
601f2e2023698e6b.jpg

From that delayed strumming intro to the smooth falsettos at the end, I think Staring At The Sun is one of the most melodious songs they have ever made! POP seems to be appreciated here mostly for the overtly experimental songs and this gem of a song is often overlooked. I love pretty much everything about Staring At The Sun... easy going, laid back vocals that Bono does so well in songs like Your Blue Room, Slug, Velvet Dress etc., lyrics that always seem to remind me of warm summer evenings, simple and beautiful guitar work from The Edge... Listen to the music right after "there's an insect in your ear", that's some gorgeous atmospheric stuff right there! And then he goes on to ponder "Will we ever live in peace? It's those that can't do often have to preach..." Hangin' with friends on a warm summer evening at the beach musing about the world... That's the kind of vibe I get from this song. :heart:

:up: :heart:

(the intransigence is all around...-verse is one of the best verses u2 has ever written).

I really like this song, but it seems to have a fair amount of knockers on here from what av seen over the years.
I far prefer the original Pop version as opposed to the re-vamped Best of effort.
I liked your reference to "warm summers evenings"
Yer exactly right, it has same effect on me

Nice thread, Zoots! A lot of people seem not to like this song, but it's one of my favourites off Pop. Fun to play on guitar too.

This was one of my first favorite U2 songs (but yes :reject: I only knew the best of version at the time)

Staring at the Sun is a fine song, I just don't praise it much because it's never really grabbed me. I don't talk about City of Blinding Lights much for the same reason :shrug:

It's a good song though :up: And both videos are delicious :drool:

It's a damn shame it never worked live. The studio version from Pop is the best version of this song. Excellent stuff. :up:

phillyfan26 said:
It's a damn shame it never worked live.

:ohmy: I love the Popmart acoustic version with the vocal harmonies! I thought it was a beautiful take on an already beautiful song.

Zootlesque said:
[BStaring At The Sun is one of the most melodious songs they have ever made! [/B]
(emphasis added :D)

"Melodious"...:hmm:..... Direction of the new album? If it's anything like SATS, I wouldn't mind at all.

It's funny how you mentioned summer evenings. I remember a line from Bono about how they'd wished the song had "taken over the summer" of 1997, but that it didn't. In my memory, it did---at least for me.

You're right about the excellent laid back nature of the vocals. Most of the lines come out of that scratchy throat like butter. :drool:

Zootlesque said:

:ohmy: I love the Popmart acoustic version with the vocal harmonies! I thought it was a beautiful take on an already beautiful song.

:yes: A lot of people knock the acoustic versions of this song, but I think it's perfectly suited for an acoustic take. Though the studio version is still the best! :wink:

Its nearly great but theres something missing to me. I like it but there is something about the song that just makes me skip it.

Zootlesque said:

Methinks you like the song. Otherwise you wouldn't have nearly quoted a lyric like that! ;)

I do like the song but I liked it better when it first cam out. Time just hasn't been as kind to it for me:(

Zootlesque said:

Well, the electric version did not work at all. It didn't have the power. The Popmart acoustic version was good, yes, but I don't think as good as the studio version. I will give you that acoustic Popmart version, it was a nice take on the song.

"God is good, but will He listen? / I'm nearly great but there's something missing" :drool:

What I've always loved about Pop is the ongoing theme in many of the songs of doubt and feeling like something is missing. Thematically, I think it's one of U2's tightest albums, and this song really contributes to the theme.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
"God is good, but will He listen? / I'm nearly great but there's something missing" :drool:

What I've always loved about Pop is the ongoing theme in many of the songs of doubt and feeling like something is missing. Thematically, I think it's one of U2's tightest albums, and this song really contributes to the theme.

Pop has some of Bono's finest lyrics..:drool: :drool:

every album after pop has seen a decline in lyric quality :wink:

Aygo said:
I disagree. The live acoustic version is a very rework and the fullband version they played in the first shows would've been even better if it had a little more work and rehearsal.

You see, I don't think so. The acoustic is good, no doubt (not quite the studio, but good). But the full band completely lacked power, which isn't something like the technical aspect that you can improve much on. I'm still trying to find the differences (I haven't heard the bootleg enough lately), but I think it was just so hard to recreate Edge's guitar parts live that it left a void.

I really loved the acoustic live version of the song
the melodies really shine through there

in the album version it almost seems like Adam and Larry are playing to a different song with a completely different feel. Maybe the whining guitar also put them off :D

the intransigence verse is a really interesting one lyrically
I like what they're trying to say, but parts of it - military still in town / daddy just won't say goodbye - just don't sound that good to me
it is different though

One of the highlights from the relatively poor "Pop" record.

The album mix is light years ahead of the terrible "New" mix. All the electric rhythm guitars are missing from the new mix, it's neutered.

My favourite U2 song - much prefer the Pop version over the Best Of. I heard it for the first time when I saw the video on VH1 and it sent chills up my spine. I've loved it ever since.

I have a strange feeling I saw it before though, because for some reason (before I saw it on the Best Of DVD) I remembered the alternative video, I just never knew it was for SATS. Freaky. :huh:

Screen cap (my avatar and bebo home page picture)!

Bono-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom