Interference Note about Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GazeboBlend said:
but I cannot help but believe that deception has occurred. While I am not saying that Interference or any of its staff have intentionally misled people, the entire situation defies belief. It is simply not credible. As lovely as it would be for U2 to begin granting fan sites interviews, and for Edge to post on this or any other forum, it is completely against character, as are the comments themselves. I do believe some or all members of U2 have visited this site and others, and may have posted anonymously from time to time. But I cannot believe that "The Edge" is the Edge, or that the interview with U2 was conducted with U2.

I just say this as an observer of the band over decades. U2 are wonderful people, as anyone who has met them will agree.

This really, really pisses me off. People who have been fans a long time who assume to "know" the band members are annoying enough, but then to use that to call others liars is beyond the pale. This poster is new to the board, and yet assumes to know the way Elvis and the mods operate.

Gazebo, I know Elvis. I know a few of the mods. They are not liars. They do not deceive. I like to think I don't give a rat's ass what you think, but when you call my friends liars, I get pissed. I've been here over three years. I've been a fan for over 20 years. I don't claim to know the personalities of the band. I wouldn't dare to assume to do that. But I do know the way Elvis operates, and I do know the way Interference operates. Deception is not part of what they do. It just isn't.

So you, a new member of the board who has no idea at all how things are done around here, can offer your opinion all you want, but please don't insult my friends.

Because that pisses me off.

***~~~~Thanks, Katey, Elvis & Staff~~~~***[

I'm still relatively 'new' <yet to have my 1st ainniversary here>.

Still, here are my observations.
For a U2 Fan site, any type of Fan site or any site [let alone a business] that has serious interactions with the people it's aiming for to have lasted as long as this site has {10 years now?}....a good amount of courteousy and actions/interactions with integrity has to be involved.

IMHO, sites are like a business/ organization or a person; if one gets a geniunely [and :mad: to those who try to ruin one's integrity- generaly speaking] bad reputation people will eventually no longer visit, interact etc with it-- because most of the time they'll will be something eventually to replace it.

It may be possible that it could be a deception, perhaps from a person to this site's owner Joel & staff. There's even a possiblity [didn't say probabilty] it could be them [staff]. But I don't think so because of the above reasons.

Elvis's just put up big money to put in a speedy new server. He & staff have been at this however many years. His & their reputations in U2/r&R fandom would be withered IF it was a deception on his/their part.

The truth would come out some how once fans from here meet up w the band on tour. Some of you will be that lucky.
Then Elviswould have shiney, speedy server and a dwindling audience.

And I do remeber months & months back commenting on a new the thread where PEOPLE SUGGEST THINGS FOR THE UPCOMING TOUR ETC AND THAT sorry pinkyslip --"people from U2's staff might occasionally drop in so you never know WHO might see your suggestions/comments for them ....." <paraphrased>

I certainly will/would feel like this :censored:, if it is some kind of deception, but :shrug: I generally think it's the real deal. :D

ANd of course as things 'heat up' as tour time approaches, and then takes off....it obvious thaT Edge or the others would only drop in ocassionally or uinfrequently.

But if/when Edge etc visits again ~ thanks staff, again!

Last edited:
Martha,
Please read my post carefully, and note that I am not calling anyone at Interference a liar. I believe that I was clear on that. While I understand the desire to defend one's friends and one's turf, I think you cannot be insensible to the incongruities here. I appreciate your passion, and do not pretend to "know" Edge - but I do know what tone he generally takes in interview situations, and I do know that the failure to be clear on the identity of the "interviewed person" in the U2 interview is uncharacteristic of U2 press history, as is the granting of the interview itself. Anything is possible, but logic is against this being factual. Too much of the content and the procedure are simply out of character for this band, who has a publicity machine like no other.

Gazebo, there is a *very remote* possibility that the wool has been pulled over all of our eyes, but that would have to include Elvis too - and I can't believe he would risk the reputation of this site if he wasn't totally certain who he was dealing with :shrug:

Please understand me - I mean to be clear. I am not backpedaling, or intending to flame, or any such thing. Yes, I do believe there is some misinformation, but I'm not suggesting that Interference is responsible for that. I believe that would be both foolish, and contrary to any definition of fandom. Too much work is put into the site to compromise it - no thinking person would do that. That doesn't change my view on the legitimacy of all of this, though.

Gazebo,

You dont have an email address listed in your profile. Please email me belilindt [at] gmail [dot] com

I like you.

PS Martha, I like you too

Last edited:
I don´t know if this will probe anything, but ...

If I´m not mistaken, "The Edge" said in one of the post he did here that Love or peace or else "it´s a Heavy song", and this is the reviw of NME

--->'Love and Peace or Else' (4:47)

"An industrial growl and host of Nine Inch Nails-style noises hide Bono's whispering intro, before the song evolves into a clapalong, glammy chorus "Give me love and peace", Bono sings. It's the first hint of his political side, with references in to "troops on the ground". A thumping bassline makes it all sound a bit like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club."

That description sounds "Heavy"

For me, no other than a band member could know the description of a song that has not been released yet, along with the comments that I have read about the moderators, -----> I have good reasons to believe that all of this could be real. Of course we have to give doubts an space :)

P.S I hope you undarstand what I wan to sa, I am not so so good writing in english :D

There are absolutely zero, zip, zilch, nada, motives for the communiques of Edge at Interference.com to be fabricated.

I can guarantee, without even seeing the logs, that officials for the band have visited frequently thoughout the history of Interference.com, and would very quickly point out any possible scams to both the site, and to U2's management.

Gazebo said

"While I am not saying that Interference or any of its staff have intentionally misled people... "

He/She didn't imply that Interference staffers were liars by any stretch. The questions being asked are very valid. The interview doesn't really sound like them. That could bebecause of the writers style, or it could be that it wasn't in fact them. What details have been offered about how the opportunity was obtained. Was it an email interview or by phone. If it was done by email that could also account for why it doesn't sound like other interviews.

I think this question could be answered with a little fact checking on the part of some dedicated person by making a phone call to the PM office trying to confirm the comments made in the article. They have offices in Dublin and NY.

May I have a grumble in this thread please? I dont want to start a new one as theres already too many threads at the moment.

Interference has changed dramatically since the person by the username of The Edge started posting.

There is now an increasing level of conservatism and censorship. U2 will have been well aware of this site for quite some time. Im not understanding why PLEBA drooling threads are now being closed nor other threads for that matter. The whole site seems to have gone paranoid over night.

I dont believe this is healthy. Its an open forum. Not a "Only Discuss 100% Love For Everything This Irish Band Has Ever Done, And Please Do So In A Very American Conservative Fashion" forum.

Can we please go back to business as usual? Otherwise I fear this site will die from evolving into soley an Edge worship site.

PS We now have many I Love You threads, that are closed down and new ones spring forth. Can we please allow one of the threads to run so everyone can say what they need to say without cluttering up the forums with dead threads?

Thank you.

beli said:
Im not understanding why PLEBA drooling threads are now being closed nor other threads for that matter. The whole site seems to have gone paranoid over night.

Actually there is only 1 closed thread in the first 3 pages of posts in PLEBA, related to a thread that was deleted re sales of unofficial merchandise (possibly involving copyright infringement). Drooling is still allowed, we just want to be respectful of the band and their families in not stepping over that sexual line. We mods are being more watchful just because the traffic volume has gone up tremendously in the past week and are attempting to keep some level of organization for the chaos :crazy:

Believe me, I would much rather merge the gushing threads in As The Boys Play Rock and Roll rather than have a billion and one that will fade away quickly, but to each his own :shrug:

There was another thread that was closed and has been deleted off the page in PLEBA.

Its not just PLEBA, its the whole site.

PS why cant you merge all the I love You threads together?

beli said:
Interference has changed dramatically since the person by the username of The Edge started posting.

There is now an increasing level of conservatism and censorship. U2 will have been well aware of this site for quite some time. Im not understanding why PLEBA drooling threads are now being closed nor other threads for that matter. The whole site seems to have gone paranoid over night.

PS We now have many I Love You threads, that are closed down and new ones spring forth. Can we please allow one of the threads to run so everyone can say what they need to say without cluttering up the forums with dead threads?

Thank you.

With all due respect, the mods are doing the best job that we can in light of everything that has happened, and the chaos that has errupted.

There are no PLEBA 'drooling' threads being closed, and there are no "I love you" threads being closed so I dont really know what you're talking about in regards to those statements. And frankly I'm tired of people claiming 'censorship' around here. Yes - more threads than usual are being closed but people are not being censored by far. I think that word is used far too often around here. Perhaps some of you should take a look at some other sites and see how they are run and compare. Threads are being closed for the same reasons as always.. fighting/bickering/threads running its course/duplicate threads etc. It's just that there are SO MANY more users and threads/replies being posted that there is naturally more moderating needed.

Just about everyone here on this site is nice, courteous and caring. And I feel that part of that reason is because of the way this site is run. On most sites the members basically can 'run amuck' and say or do whatever they want, with little or no moderation. Now THAT is chaos.

I would love for everything to go 'back to normal' but frankly, I dont think that's going to happen anytime soon, especially with the new album and tour coming out. We all just do the best we can with what is thrown at us.

Drooly PLEBA threads are really closing down?!
Say it ain't so...

I don't even want to poke me head in there ladies, but are you all being too personally "inviting" shall we say?

I don't advocate censorship of any kind really, but wouldn't it be lovely if we could all just pretend he's not /hasn't been about?

He's wished us all Big Love, said in his own added ask-edge question he can't believe he's blessed with such great fans, he's done the benediction and can't we just let him be?

I don't wish him to not come or that he never had come...if you're a U2 fan he's touched you already and what's that quote of bono's in someone's siggie?...Since you're connected to the music and he's connected to this music you're connected to each other.

To ask for more takes away what's already there.

It's not easy, I understand, but if you look hard at these things it's always some bratty part of ourselves that wants to call attention to our own ego. It's a great wonderful exercise to let that go I think...
and what a gift it might be to him to let him safely connect with other people here...

cheers to all...

Last edited:
martha said:
To all the doubters:

:blahblah:

That means more Edge for me!

And, oh yeah, the rest of us with some sense.

Yep, more Edge for us! :wink:

I've been uncertain about this whole thing for a while, but I think I'm a 99.9% believer now.

The thing, imho,
is that it's either him
or it's not.

If it's him, *we* get to give *him* a gift by not talking about his presence quite like this.

If it's not him, we get fooled by someone else, someone who's not him. oh well. it's a good thing to let yourself take a little leap sometimes...

cheers and love to all...

I do know that the failure to be clear on the identity of the "interviewed person" in the U2 interview is uncharacteristic of U2 press history, as is the granting of the interview

this interview was a one off , i understand people having questions absolutely. If your looking to know how it came about..and this will come as no suprise to ermm Edge.. I arranged to for the interview,the questions were directed to the band thats it. Perhaps the reason it doesnt sound as every other "media" interview is that it was a direct arrangement not made through "publicists" and it was made to be towards the fans as a one off. So in essence if you'd like to question credibility feel free to direct it towards me rather then Joel and the rest of the team..There a bit of the lil secret is out you prowded it out of me but happy to oblige the rest of the details arent really relevant I do not think.

the point of the begining of this e-mail was to get back to some normal sense of being but I seemed to not convey that very well.I'm not a mod cant speak on their behalf but will say they have done a fantastic job.. if threads are to be only because they violated a forum rules or spun out of control. Doesnt matter where your from be it American, Irish or anywhere else respect is universal ..Doesnt matter to me who you are I'll treat you with the same grain i do everyone..

ohh and thank you Power Surge..that was very kind all though i am sure giving me entirely to much credit..:wink:

Last edited:
All the bickering is making the dork feel ill. :barf:
I say we go back to answering Beli's poles, arguing over which unheard song is better than the other unheard song and posting shameless photos of sweaty Bono ( :combust: ) just like before :yes:

U2dork said:
I say we go back to answering Beli's poles, arguing over which unheard song is better than the other unheard song and posting shameless photos of sweaty Bono ( :combust: ) just like before :yes:

Now there's a plan.

I wonder when my Vertigo shirt will come in the mail? :scratch:

U2dork said:

Yes, good idea. Let's all calm down and listen to what the dork has to say. ;) Seriously, let's all just chill and have fun! That's what we all came here for in the first place, right? :)

why are we listening to a dork? or right, he's The Dork. Plus, Beaker is damn cool!

Eh, after all this hub bub, I'll still be debating with Sting and NB in Free Your Mind, someone in PLEBA will be drooling and guitar players will be debating whether the new album has any "Enoesque chords" [if we ever let Henry Rollins join]. The Edge is awesome for posting here and I know we are grateful for that. Just remember that this place can survive without his posts. Although we do like them. :)

Even though the edge is a friggin' guitar God who happens to be a member of my absolute favorite band of all time - he is also just a regular - albeit mind numbingly cool - guy. I think if we treat him as such when he hangs around i think this place can remain as it has - a cool place to hang out and talk about U2 and what color underwear you have on:wink:

Beli - please another poll - informative and fun! I've gone 27 years without ever knowing that I was in fact a seal

edited to say that I have in fact posted some rather drool worthy (an shameful) pics over on PLEBA and as of yet not recieved a nasty-gram for doing so

Last edited:
This place went nuts in the build up/release etc of ATYCLB. Pretty much just as crazy as this. The only difference this time is The Edge's posts. It's the same level of craziness, just there's more than one focus this time. The other thing with The Edge's posts is that this is the "Holy Shit!" stage. After a while, the bands involvement in this site will turn from that to the "It's freakin' cool, but perfectly normal" stage.

In other words, the craziness is all perfectly normal at this stage. It will chill. Be cool. :wink:

While this particular moniker (U2Ulysses) is new, I am no newbie. :wink: I've read/wrote on U2 fan sites for about a decade, starting with the various U2 newsgroups before progressing to WIRE and Interference. Having read Interference for many years, I can say that I am quite impressed by the mods current behavior. While some mods were always professional (Salome), I have noticed that all mods now are superior. They are courteous, fair and professional. This is a resounding change from the mods' behavior I've seen over the years (some of whom were far worse than the posters they chastised).

Furthermore, I will also say that most people posting here are also courteous and considerate - an even more refreshing change from the scathing attacks that used to appear on WIRE and other U2 fan sites.

Therefore, great job to everyone here! And I offer a special thank you to the staff at Interference. Congratulations on getting the Edge to *finally* post (well, I should say "officially" post as himself) after all these years. :)

That said, I do have two concerns. The first is why is the Edge posting here and not on his own site? That is, why not interact more on U2.com? That would be a great way to spruce up that site! I love the fact that Edge is posting "amongst the fans", but he could just as easily do this (or have done this when they had a forum) at U2.com. If fans knew Edge would post there, it would have increased traffic significantly.

My second concern is about Edge's comments regarding Jick. I realize this topic is "closed" and for good reason. But I have a concern nonetheless that I think merits some consideration.

While Edge's comments were deserved (and as a long time reader, I recall Jick's posts on WIRE when he was known as J - and he was even more negative then), I do think Edge was a bit harsh, if not extreme, with his terrorist analogy.

Jick was definitely igniting the flames. But Jick's inflammatory remarks were about guitars - not about the destruction of lives (terrorism). While Jick deserved the scolding (because God knows, I've also grown tired of Jicks' negativity after SO many years), I must express disappointment at Edge's loose analogy. One has to be very careful when tossing about words such as "terrorism". As a person of Edge's age and general life experience (albeit, in a far different field), I am a bit disconcerted that Edge was so liberal in his word usage. People our age are now becoming the leaders and we must lead by example at all times - in both our actions and written/spoken word.

However, we all have our moments of weakness - I've had more than my share. :wink: And if Edge was reading Jick's (J's) comments for as long as I have, it's little wonder he was annoyed. I just hope we ALL are more careful when saying things like "terrorism" or comparing people to "Hitler". This is not about censorship or political correctness, but rather about the realization that discussing a U2 album is nothing near to the hatred and death that terrorists and the Nazi's caused. So please, be careful when using words - they can offend and hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom