Interesting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Found this on atu2.com, u2newzooland.com has the full transcript of 4 pages :

Rog: Speaking of the new album, Edge, we did hear that is went missing... an early disc went missing in the South of France. The band were on a photo shoot, and it disappeared. Umm, did that happen, and did you find it again?

Edge: It did happen. Yeah, a lot of people have accused us of coming up with this... some kind of publicity stunt, and, y’know, I’d love to say that we were that smart! (Laughter) But, unfortunately, umm-- (Laughter) Ya know, we weren’t... y’know, it actually did happen. Umm, it was fairly early on... we’d just finished the record, we were doing a photo session, and we had the first, like, the first version of the album that had just come from the master, which I’d received that morning by courier, and we were listening to it in a little portable CD player. And, uh, we left the studio for literally twenty minutes to do a shot just outside of the studio, and came back in and it was gone! And, our first thoughts were, “Oh my God! It’s--”, you know, “it’s-- we’ve been-- it’s a sting... it’s a set-up... people knew we were here... it’s all very, y’know, sinister, and... this’ll be on the Internet within a matter of hours – or worse, it’ll be... being pressed up in, y’know, somewhere in Eastern Europe, and there’ll be literally millions on the streets by morning!”

But, I think now, in retrospect... it never did show up anywhere, so, I think it probably was somebody just seeing it there... just got tempted and took it as a souvenir, and, in many ways, that was kinda what we were already hoping would be the case, but we couldn’t assume it because there was so much at stake, so we had to kinda push the panic-button. And, wow! – Did it go off?! It was absolutely unbelievable.

We were in the South of France at the time, and, literally, all of us were hauled into the central police station... interrogated for, y’know, a couple of hours as individuals... ya know, like, taken off, and interrogated, and... like, all our people had the same... And [the] next thing, they were, like, sending in these... the kind of experts working for all these special divisions funded by the recording industry that look into piracy – and people, y’know, who I never knew existed were suddenly arriving... (Laughter) y’know, thousands of them! (Edge laughing)... to interrogate the band and to let us know that, y’know, they were on top of it, and Interpol were involved... [it] was quite an eye-opener, really. I guess I should’ve known that this is a, y’know-- it’s big business, and piracy’s a serious problem, but I’ve never come across all of this before. Anyway, we were very lucky that nothing happened and it was all just a loss of a CD.

And in U2 News this just appeared:

U2 DENY STEALING THEIR NEW ALBUM

Irish rockers U2 have blasted conspiracy theories they arranged for their latest album to be stolen in France - but confess even the country's police suspected them.

The VERTIGO band were staying in the south of France when the eagerly awaited album HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB was reportedly stolen, sparking fears it would surface on the internet before it hit record store shelves.

But cynics were quick to brand the incident a publicity stunt orchestrated by the band themselves, aimed at creating hype ahead of its release.

Singer BONO says, "It would look better on us in a way if we did plan it, but we didn't. I missed Bastille Night with my kids because I was held for four hours by the French police, trying to explain to them why I would not rob my own album!

"Fair play to them, everyone was guilty 'til proven innocent! They took it very seriously and I kept saying, 'Can I go now?' and they kept going, 'No.'"

Perhaps all the doubters and cynics will cool down now.

doctorwho said:
But it is a great souvenir, no? What did you do with it Mikal? Did Edge sign it?

i burned it. problem is, i thought "burning cd's" meant taking a lighter to the cd, so unfortunately, i had to wait till November 6th like the rest of you.

U2girl said:
An
Singer BONO says, "It would look better on us in a way if we did plan it, but we didn't. I missed Bastille Night with my kids because I was held for four hours by the French police, trying to explain to them why I would not rob my own album!

A-ha!

So the French police also thought this story was full of shit. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom