In a way, U2 has formed/shaped dance music...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Listening to some of the music such as Gloria, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Two Hearts Beat As One...

Most of the 80s material as well as the 90s material seems to have some elements of electronic / dance into them...

If you exclude Rattle and Hum, and Bomb... most of U2's albums have been electronic, or have some type of 'dance' rythmn or beat to it...

theu2fly said:

Most of the 80s material as well as the 90s material seems to have some elements of electronic / dance into them...

That's because U2 were influenced by an already happening/existing techno/dance scene. They didn't form/shape anything.

If anything it was the techno/industrial/dance scene that formed U2 in the 90's.

Last edited:
you start the weirdest threads, sometimes i think you do it on purpose to see peoples reactions

personally I think most of u2s work in the 80's is about as far from the dance scene as you can get.

theu2fly said:
Listening to some of the music such as Gloria, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Two Hearts Beat As One...

If you exclude Rattle and Hum, and Bomb... most of U2's albums have been electronic, or have some type of 'dance' rythmn or beat to it...

In a way, U2 has formed/shaped jazz, blues, hiphop, R&B, soul and metal... :huh:

Re: Re: In a way, U2 has formed/shaped dance music...

BANZAI said:

In a way, U2 has formed/shaped jazz, blues, hiphop, R&B, soul and metal...

...Opera, Disco, New Wave, Prog Rock, Christmas Melodies, Lullabies and Folk music.

Seriously though, dance music existed long before U2. Anyone who has listened to dance or techno music knows that it doesn't sound like AB, Zooropa or Pop.
U2fly, please listen to modern dance music before you proclaim U2 the founders of the genre.

I think its a valid argument. Any techno song with an ambient keyboard riff is always New Year's Day inflected, not to mention the numerous remixes done of the song.

Coldplay invented Bono. Do you want me to resurrect the three-month-old beach clips thread to prove it? :mad:

Bono was always saying that he always thought U2 were a dance band until he actually tried to dance to one of their records in a club and realised they were nothing of the sort.
U2 were heavily influenced by dance music in the 90's. Nuch as i would like to say that they were influential on the dance scence of the 90;s, I really don't think they were. Although Adam said that he thinks "Where the Streets....." was the beginning of techno :)

Adam Clayton has made this point before, about "Streets" being a techno song. Its time signature is 6/8, I think -- same as a lot of big dancefloor anthems. I'm a techno DJ and I always hear DJs here in California sampling in bits of U2 during their sets.

theu2fly said:

f you exclude Rattle and Hum, and Bomb... most of U2's albums have been electronic, or have some type of 'dance' rythmn or beat to it...

If you have Tinnitus, everything has a nice electronic ring to it...

Whaaa ...? Each theu2fly thread is weirder and makes less sense than the last!

Ellay said:
personally I think most of u2s work in the 80's is about as far from the dance scene as you can get.

:yes:

I would say that U2 has almost in no way shaped/formed dance music. I don't think of U2 as a dance band. They've made dancy songs, but I wouldn't even really say they have influenced it much. You never hear U2 come up when they talk about dance music, because they aren't a dance band.

That said, songs like EBTTRT, Mysterious Ways, Lemon, DGPFCC, SDABTO are dancy songs.

Aygo said:
^ Yeah, and what about Streets (remember the Popmart version?), NYD, Mofo, Discotheque, DYFL, Zoo Station, Elevation, Levitate or even COBL?

Well I haven't heard Popmart Streets, I don't own Pop or Levitate so...

My songs were just examples.

Aygo said:
If you tried to understand what he meant to say with this weirdness, maybe it wouldn't sound that... weird and senseless to you...:)

No. Most of his threads border on nonsense and/or complete factual inaccuracy.

Like this one. U2 is not dance music. U2 has not influenced dance music. You can dance to some U2 songs, but that doesn't make it "dance music" as that refers to a specific genre and type of music.

Axver said:

No. Most of his threads border on nonsense and/or complete factual inaccuracy.

Like this one. U2 is not dance music. U2 has not influenced dance music. You can dance to some U2 songs, but that doesn't make it "dance music" as that refers to a specific genre and type of music.
Read again the starting post... The guy didn't mean to say that U2 are dance music.
If you understood that, you'd see that what he's trying to say is that there are several elements from dance music in some U2 songs.
Didn't you read the "Streets" example? It's a good one. Now, apply it to other songs in their catalogue...

Aygo said:

Read again the starting post... The guy didn't mean to say that U2 are dance music.
If you understood that, you'd see that what he's trying to say is that there are several elements from dance music in some U2 songs.
Didn't you read the "Streets" example? It's a good one. Now, apply it to other songs in their catalogue...

Read again the title of this thread. He claims that it was U2 that formed dance music. And I think we can all agree that's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom