In A Little While vs. The Sweetest Thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SleepyDeadMan

War Child
Can't decide which I'd prefer, so you guys can help me.

In A Little While or The Sweetest Thing?

Right now I'm leaning towards The Sweetest Thing, but it's always so close:drool: .

Last edited:
Both are great really great , specially coz both have amazing bass lines , What's the point in sayin one is better , both are brilliant for me :shrug:

Coz of I'm going to listen
them now

Just by a bit.... In A Little While. Plus, it's been per4med live very well. Sweetest Thing has not.

adrball said:
Listening to Sweetest Thing always reminds me of the vid. The vid really eats away at me so I got for In A Little While.

The sweetest thing, because it reminds me of the vid. :wink:
I love them both though.

In A Little While by far. It's endlessly listenable and wasn't even a hit, tho it should've been over "Stuck in a moment". I prefer the original version of Sweetest Thing. Sounds more spontaneous and fun. It was a rock band in a pop mood, and they knew it wasn't album material. I actually was quite bothered by the remake, primarilly because U2 needed a hit so they opted to rerecord their most throwaway song. It worked, and unfortunately that's the safe poppy route that U2 now travels.

Oh man, some people here need to start whining over every simple question and take it as an opportunity to bash the band.

Regarding the issue, I would choose "In a little while", simply because I love the song's mood and Bono's voice. Also the live versions I have heard are really good.

I think both are great pop songs, but right now I'm in love with In a Little While.

The R&B twinge seals the deal.

ozeeko said:
In A Little While by far. It's endlessly listenable and wasn't even a hit, tho it should've been over "Stuck in a moment". I prefer the original version of Sweetest Thing. Sounds more spontaneous and fun. It was a rock band in a pop mood, and they knew it wasn't album material. I actually was quite bothered by the remake, primarilly because U2 needed a hit so they opted to rerecord their most throwaway song. It worked, and unfortunately that's the safe poppy route that U2 now travels.

I agree IALW should have been a single (and Kite, over Elevation and Walk on but that's another story), other than that, I disagree.

I think the single version from Sweetest thing is better in many ways. Instead of them trying to do pop (and yes, U2 has tried to write pop before 2000), they actually did it this time. Love the new guitar bits, the strings and above all the new vocal take. The B-side's is painful to listen to because of the "soulful" singing.
I think something like Trip through your wires from that period, or other JT B-sides save for Silver and Gold have less potential. Sweetest thing is the one B-side (maybe North and south of the river too) that should have gotten more attention, and it was rightfully a single.

As for the thread title: can't pick. I like them both.

Last edited:
When In A Little While slips into

My how you've grown
Well it's been a little while

the song just carries you home on its back. It's a lot like Eric Clapton's rendition of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. Something so perfect you could just break it off the record and eat it like sugar candy.

vaz02 said:
The Sweetest Thing 80's version is the best
Yeah, especially the bridge section with the random jam and Bono impersonating a failing car engine.

In a Little While.
I heard it at the Miami rehearsals the first time it was played.
I will always remember lying on the concrete steps with my ear against the door with 50 other crazy fans in the cold Miami evening (yes it gets cold in Fl!)
IALW is in my U2 top 5.

Back
Top Bottom