In 1996 I leaked Discotheque.mp3 to the world... anyone have that original file?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Hi...

In 1996 I leaked Discotheque.mp3 to the world... anyone have that original file?

I can't seem to locate it in my Interference archives at the moment, and would REALLY like to find someone that has it... SOMEONE has to have it :)

I have realized that there maybe a very distinct connection between that version of the song (that I released) and the Discotheque New Mix on GH 90-00. Both are similar in legnth (which is about a minute short of the studio cut, and very similar in sound.

Anyone with information leading to the capture of the original mp3... please contact me either by replying here, or emailing me at elvis@interference.com

Thanks,

Joel

Is there anywhere I could also get it? I would like to hear and compare it.

That was you?:eeklaugh:

I remember being on the 'other Wire'...someone came on and said they had gotten this file from some girl who subsequently moved to South America and had committed suicide. They only showed up once..left the file and never returned. Apparently that was the first time anything like that had ever happened...it got written up in Time magazine and mentioned in Press conferences...Edge said they had been 'burgled'....someone said we had somehow managed to hack through the cables in the studio (that's not how you got it is it? ;)

I remember that time well......played the file over and over...

dream wanderer

Search on NewMedia for:

Discotheque - Interference.com 12-96 - LEAK.mp3

Thanks to Reggie for the help :)

Maybe I'll share some stories later about the original leak... but for now I'm off to sushi ;)

Let me know what you think when comparing both (leak and New Mix) if you have them.

Joel

I'm glad I could help, Elvis.

I remember being so excited about Pop and Discotheque in particular, and then I found Interference and the mp3. Man was I stoked. I played that mp3 for months. And I remember finally seeing the Discotheque video and hearing the song as it would sound a few months later on the album and being disappointed that it had change fairly dramatically from the original mp3.

I heard the new mix of Discotheque and I must say it's much closer to this leaked version, and even a bit more 'Rawk', which I, personally, find more appealing........

Hey, Elvis, got anymore leaks?!?!?!?:mac:

u leaked the mp3 of discotheque? how did u come by it? sounds kinda fishy.

Elvis said:
Hi...

I can't seem to locate it in my Interference archives at the moment, and would REALLY like to find someone that has it... SOMEONE has to have it :)

I have realized that there maybe a very distinct connection between that version of the song (that I released) and the Discotheque New Mix on GH 90-00. Both are similar in legnth (which is about a minute short of the studio cut, and very similar in sound.

Anyone with information leading to the capture of the original mp3... please contact me either by replying here, or emailing me at elvis@interference.com

Thanks,

Joel

From U2.com (note: the 27th is incorrect, it was earlier):

http://u2.com/singles/s_feb_1997/single_sub_detail.html

Afterlife
The track appeared on U2's album Pop and was performed live for the first time during the PopMart tour opener in Las Vegas on April 25, 1997. On October 26, 1996 a 30-second snippet of Discotheque, taken from a promotional EPK, was released on the Internet by Hungarian fan Martin. On December 27th, the full MP3 was available on fan site Interference.com. These premature releases of the first single from the upcoming album and airplay of the Internet releases by radio stations around the world moved up the official radio airplay date.

--------------

The original logo of Interference:
interf4b.jpg

Indeed, it was the first time a full unreleased song by a band was leaked on the Internet (and.. I take great pride in that) ;).

I'm sure you've heard of 'six degrees of seperation' ? Well, in this instance, I was given the single by someone who Bono had given it to. I can't say who... but it was a very famous DJ... does this seem familiar at all? lol.

The leak/release made huge news, MTV, Hotpress, was mentioned in Time, thousands of radio and tv stations - and yes, was even mentioned during the Popmart press conference @ Kmart.

At the time, Mp3s were NOT widely used, it wasn't easy to encode them, and there was only one way to play them (a program called WinPlay for PC).

The original HotPress article,
vol 21 no 1
Jan. 22 1997
page 6 (note: it was actually on the net prior to being on the radio):

U2's "Discotheque" single received its official worldwide premiere last week when it was simultaneously broadcast on two of America's leading radio stations, KROQ Los Angeles and WXRK New York.

Modern technology being what it is, the track almost immediately found its way onto the Internet with one hastily constructed site, Interference, apparently registering 100 000 hits in five days.

Before the song can be downloaded, visitors are presented with a disclaimer which reads, "You take complete responsibility for accessing this file. This file is part of a private collection and is not intended to be saved on your personal computer, or any other storage device, once it has been accessed. This file is for listening ONLY and is to be used strictly for non-commercial home use, by clicking on this download you have agreed to these terms and acknowledge that this material is the property of U2 and Island/Polygram Records."

"I'm sure the band knew exactly what they were doing when they gave 'Discotheque' to KROQ and WXRK," one industry insider remarked. "The people who've downloaded it form the Net are still going to buy it when it comes out on CD and those who aren't online are going to be drawn in the hype."

Once linked up to Interference at http://www.interference.com, the track takes 35 minutes to download with 28.8 link.

After all that work, it's a relief to find "Discotheque" is an absolute cracker. Clocking in at 4 mins. 10 seconds, the track starts off with "Zoo Station"-style distorded guitar and vocals and then erupts into a typically big U2 chorus. The Edge appears to have bought himself some new FX pedals and while hardly in the Tricky league, Bono's warblings do have a slightly Bristolian feel to them.

Another cool mention was in 'Internet Underground' magazine (now defunct),
Volume 2,
Issue 5
May, 1997:

sexxy.gif

under.jpg

Later.... POP, in it's entirety was released on Interference. The full album leaked onto the net, another first for any band - and the source? another DJ that got it from you know who ;).

I miss the 'underground' Interference. I think with over 11,000 people on the forum alone now.. we're more like the 'overground' now. lol.

Well.. I'm sure that's enough for now ;)

The Version leaked on intereference back in 1996 sounds like the single version that they did officially release. and is slightly different than the studio version but is defeinetly not the new mix on the greatest hits. The ending on the leaked verson is faded out prematurely but in it's entirerty, is only 9 seconds shorter than the album version.

Oh yes..Martin. I remember it well! :) Who put it on the 'other Wire?" That's where I heard it first...I didn't even know this place existed back then...

dream wanderer

dream wanderer said:
the 'other Wire?" That's where I heard it first...I didn't even know this place existed back then...

I didn't even know *Wire* existed back then! :huh:

This entire thread is SO C:cool::cool:L but kinda weirding me out at the same time!

_____
actually i'm kinda envious cos i wish i knew how to do all that!

KhanadaRhodes said:
i'm still wondering if there were any other songs leaked. i think there were, but my memory is failing me. :grumpy:

a 30 second clip of wakeup deadman.....

later... as I think I've said b4, I leaked the entire album, about month prior to release.

Back
Top Bottom