!!! IMPORTANT - please write to Dan Aquilante @ the NYPOST !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I am beside myself.

I do not know who has seen the review of the MSG show in the NY POST written by Dan Aquilante, but it needs attention!

Dan Aquilante is a writer who smites U2 every time they do anything (release an album, tour etc.) He is a simplistic, shallow, and treacherous writer. He is not a journalist. I say all this because over the course of the last 2 or so years I have read everything he has written about not just U2, but every band.

He bases his opinions on what tickets the band provides for him, how he is treated at shows, and whether or not he gets the interviews with the stars (most likely not.)

I have written to him on three seperate occasions lambasting him for his infintile views and shallow reporting. I am including his latest bash on Bono, and whoever was at the concert on the 24th would know that this person is a baboon.

I would love to start a letter writing campaign to him, or the Post. I have been unable to get his exact email address, but he cannot go on writing this crap.

Here is his article. I hope you find it as atrocious as I did:

October 26, 2001
From The New York Post:

HEY, BONO, JUST SING
By DAN AQUILANTE

October 26, 2001 -- At their return engagement at
Madison Square Garden, U2 was a finely tuned rock
machine, with a squeaky wheel named Bono at center
stage.

Bono, the voice of U2, sang songs about peace, love
and understanding in a city that was the target of hate
a month ago.

Over the course of the two-hour concert, between
highlights such as "Bullet the Blue Sky," "Beautiful Day,"
"Pride" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday," he expounded
on a mishmash of topics.

Early on he praised IRA terrorists for finally laying down
their guns.

He kissed an American flag that a kid in the audience
waved with reverence, yet his jacket was lined with a
cut-up Old Glory.

He told us to have empathy with Muslims. "They go to
church, too," he informed the adoring crowd.

And he concluded the concert by scrolling the names of the
victims of the four fatal Sept. 11 flights, as well as the
names of the police and firefighters who died in the World
Trade Center rescue efforts, on a large display screen.

Deeds count, not words.

This past weekend he and guitarist The Edge didn't bother
to show up for their scheduled appearance at the Concert
for New York City - that honored those fallen heroes and
aided their families.

Bono was so liberal, so politically correct, he made you
want to puke green.

As an outsider, his audacity to think his celebrity gives him
the right to tell us how and when to let go of our anger
made the rage hotter. You wanted to hit him upside the
head.

Bono should consider he's not a priest, just a singer. To
steal a line that Bono sang when he was a boy: "If he starts
to think, he'll start to cry."

The music was great. The band played well. I wish I had
stayed home.

What a fruit.

Apparently, he didn't get the news that they were detained in Europe.

As a journalist, one of the caveats is to check your FECKIN facts, mate!

Geez louise.

------------------
~~~All I got is a red guitar, some Boards and my youth.~~~

we can't bully ppl just for not liking u2...or bono..or edge..or adam..or larry. Let it go.

You're exactly right..

It matters not to me if he likes U2.

It matters to me as a fellow journalist, that he follows the rules of proper journalism. That's basically what my point of reference was.

smile.gif

------------------
~~~All I got is a red guitar, some Boards and my youth.~~~

Originally posted by Arun V:
we can't bully ppl just for not liking u2...or bono..or edge..or adam..or larry. Let it go.

I fully agree with this statement. However, what gets my ire is that Bono has done SO much. This moron claims that deeds, not words, are what's needed. I know of no man in the past year who had actually DONE more than Bono for Third World Debt Relief. They donate proceeds of their songs to charity. They appear at numerous charity events. And the ONE time Bono had to say no - due to a family emergency - this ass makes a stink about it. Sometimes I wonder why God took so many good people on Sept. 11th and left so many bad ones behind.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
You're exactly right..

It matters not to me if he likes U2.

It matters to me as a fellow journalist, that he follows the rules of proper journalism. That's basically what my point of reference was.

smile.gif

I agree. if U2 cancelled for the hell of it, fine. But Bono's daughter went through an anthrax scare. Dan would have skipped work for his [non-existant?] daughter if she needed him.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

I know it is not right to fight people who do not like U2. My point is, he is a terrible writer with biased opinions. They are shallow and are unfair to the performer, whoever they are.

Try doing a search on some of his previous scribbles and you will see this.

He sucks.

He never checks his facts EVER. The most blatant thing he ever did was criticize ATYCLB for not being nominated for a grammy for album of the year. He went in depth about how it should not have been nominated and how he was happy that it wasn't.

The fact is, the album was released too late to be nominated, and you can bet your sweet ass it will be nominated this year.

Again, he sucks.

yeah, i thought the article was really stupid. but i am happy about one thing- i got mentioned!!

here's the quote:
"He kissed an American flag that a kid in the audience waved with reverence, yet his jacket was lined with a cut-up Old Glory."

woohoo! i'm a "kid", even though i actually just turned 24.... but whatever! don't worry about this reviewer- any halfway intelligent person would realize that his reporting is completely biased.

MSG 1 was a GREAT show! my friend Ruth got pulled on stage to play guitar- i just posted about it under the MSG 1 thread...

Originally posted by ouizy:

He never checks his facts EVER. The most blatant thing he ever did was criticize ATYCLB for not being nominated for a grammy for album of the year. He went in depth about how it should not have been nominated and how he was happy that it wasn't.

The fact is, the album was released too late to be nominated, and you can bet your sweet ass it will be nominated this year.

What a complete ass. I read this too and it completely fried me as well. I have no problem people aruging the band's merits of music or whatever BUT to attack a man who has given more of his life, self, and money than most "celebrities" i can think of to help stop the crap in this world that people like Aquilante use as a springboard to critize others- that is just wrong and ignorant.

Just the language that he uses- I enjoy writing so I know the importance of every word when you write something like this, and the way he said "didn't bother to show up" as if they were out getting a massage that day just really gets me. But I wonder if that's why he does it all anyway.

Sorry to respond to this- I know it's pointless, I just was annoyed. This jerk doesn't get it not even a little. or like i said, maybe he does and like a very small person, he is intimidated and embarrassed at his own shortcomings and so he stoops to this level.

Your sermon on the mount
From the boot of your car

Ouizy. This is typical from the Post. You cannot expect anything serious from a paper that had to lower its price to 25 cents so they could sell a couple of copies. And continuously resort to cheap ways of reporting news to catch the people's attention. Most articles from that crappy paper make me sick. They are trying to be some sort of an alternative Daily News, so far they have become a very good supply of toilet paper.

true true true.

I am just pissed. Especially the last line of his shit.

Ally - that was you with the flag? I was far away, but saw the whol thing, very cool!!!

hey ouizy! yep, that was me w/ the flag. i posted my review of MSG 1 on PLEBA, but i'll post it again here for the rest of you.
smile.gif

Ruth (aka, SadEyedLady) doesn't have access to internet right now (she's in concert-going mode!), but she WILL be posting her full story soon, i promise! But I couldn't wait!!! She's a friend of mine- she was #1 in line, i was #2, and our friend Khelia (aka, Harlequinn on Interference) was #3. We all went to the center of the outside tip- i had never been there before, and it was AMAZING!!

The night started off well when Bono pulled my American flag onstage during SBS- woohoo! he did the whole crying thing,and the so gently handed it back to me. But things were soon to get MUCH better!!! Ruth had a sign asking to play Knockin on Heaven's door- it also said "Chicks Play Guitar, Too!". The next thing i know Bono is asking her if she can really play and then pulling her up. It was AMAZING!!! she altered the lyrics to the verse he had her sing, and said something about New York being the best place. The whole crowd went NUTS when she did that- i think she got one of the biggest cheers of the night!!! She said Bono kissed her on her hand, and on the lips, and Edge kept winking at her while she was playing. John (Bono's security guy) told her that she was the best fan guitar player of the entire tour. However, the best thing is that right after she got off stage, a guy came up to her and said he was an agent for William Morris Talent Agency. He said she was awesome and had great stage presence- and then he gave her his email address!!! AAAHHHHH!!!! And then we talked to someone whose friend works for VH1. Supposedly the president of VH1, John Sykes (?), was at the show, and kept talking about how great Ruth was. What a wonderful night for a fellow Interferencer!!!

Now onto MSG 2. This time, Ruth, Khelia, and I were on the front rail. As if things couldn't get any better from the previous night, this time Khelia got pulled on stage to dance with Bono during "Bad"!!!! it was just incredible. the past 2 days have been so much fun- i can't believe how incredibly happy i am, for myself and *especially* for my friends! what a wonderful experience!!

Ruth will be posting the full story of her encounter on stage once she gets access to internet, as will Khelia, but i just could NOT WAIT to post. it was truly amazing! U2 is so good to their fans- they are hands down the best band on the planet!!

Along the lines of what U2@NYC said, just consider the source (Dan Aquilante from the NY Post) and let it go. No one reads the Post for its musical journalism.

Wow Ally, what a story. I thought the flag thing was cool, especially the way he handed it back to you.

I was a bit skeptical about Ruth (now infamous in NYC) getting onstage to play a song, and then she belted out KNockin on Heavens door. That was definately a highligh of the show for me. Everyone on stage just seemed so loose, and then for Bono to let her sing a verse, if I were her, I would have passed out immediately.

You can tell her I thought she was great, and it was a blast to watch.

Are you going to any more shows?

Thanks for the kind words, ouizy- I will be sure to pass them onto Ruth.
smile.gif

I'm not going to be at MSG 3, because it's my grandmother's 85th birthday on saturday (some things are actually more important than U2- LOL!). Ruth and Khelia are going to be there, though. All 3 of us are going to be at NJ and both Providence shows. Are you going to any more?

[This message has been edited by *Ally* (edited 10-26-2001).]

Hey, freedom of speech and of the press is one of the greatest freedoms we enjoy here in the Western world...and it's a freedom that terrorists would love to take away from us all. This reporter is entitled to his opinion and...come on...you have to admit that many would take offense at Bono's bleeding heart sentiments given the current political and social climate. And the guy does have a point - who is Bono to tell New Yorkers when to let go of their anger? Anyway, I love Bono and his comments, but I don't care what reviewers think.

One of the best things about living here is that any one of us can start our own paper and write just about anything we want to. If I want to start a "Britney Spears is a Talentless Slut" paper...I can do that. So just suck it up and remember how lucky you are to live in a nation where everyone's opinion is valid, and you don't have to be afraid to voice your thoughts and feelings.

I am the first to believe in freedom of speech. However, I am simply tired of reading reviews from this man that are simply ignorant. Especially when he states something like:

And he concluded the concert by scrolling the names of the
victims of the four fatal Sept. 11 flights, as well as the
names of the police and firefighters who died in the World
Trade Center rescue efforts, on a large display screen.

Deeds count, not words.

Deeds? How many f$%ing deeds does a band like U2 or a man like Bono have to do in their lives to actually acheive sainthood.

This nimrod Aquilante is an asshole. He writes just to piss people like me off, and I will tell you it works. Only an asshole would have walked out of that brilliant ROCK AND ROLL CONCERT and complain about what Bono said about hunger in Africa.

I am sorry - I am just still venting...

Ouizy

Just forget about it. It is obvious that this guy doesnt like U2 and is just trying to create controversy and piss people off. He seems to have succeeded.

You need to look at the big picture. Remember the media bloodbath U2 took for alot of the Popmart shows? This tour has been the exact opposite. I think I have read 3 very bad reviews TOTAL for the entire tour and two of them are from this same asshole. Ignore it people! This is one of the greatest bands and tours of all time and 99% of the media, fans and general public know it.

What I wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my disappointment with the standard of reporting in this article: http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/34316.htm

Your reporter, DAN AQUILANTE, appears to be bitter about something, and it is affecting the quality of his reporting.

"October 26, 2001 -- AT their return engagement at Madison Square Garden, U2 was a finely tuned rock machine, with a squeaky wheel named Bono at center stage."

A rather emotive opening, bordering on nasty, but lets see if he can substantiate his statement.

"Bono, the voice of U2, sang songs about peace, love and understanding in a city that was the target of hate a month ago."

Seems like a reasonable thing to do.

"Over the course of the two-hour concert, between highlights such as "Bullet the Blue Sky," "Beautiful Day," "Pride" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday," he expounded on a mishmash of topics."

"A mismash" - ok, we haven't got to the squeaky wheel part yet, but lets see what this mismatch is:

"Early on he praised IRA terrorists for finally laying down their guns."

Giving praise for a peaceful act, as opposed to a hateful act. Most reasonable people would agree laying down arms is something to be praised.

"He kissed an American flag that a kid in the audience waved with reverence, yet his jacket was lined with a cut-up Old Glory."

I would hardly call a tailored jacket, made in the image of a flag, "cut-up". Rather, the kissing of the flag, and wrapping himself in the image of the flag would seem to indicate his love for it.

"He told us to have empathy with Muslims. "They go to church, too," he informed the adoring crowd."

Sounds similar to something President Bush has also expoused. To paraphrase, "We are not at war with Islam, we are at war with terrorists". Once again, Bono is encouraging his audience towards peaceful actions.

"And he concluded the concert by scrolling the names of the victims of the four fatal Sept. 11 flights, as well as the names of the police and firefighters who died in the World Trade Center rescue efforts, on a large display screen."

A small tribute to the victims of a tragedy. Reminds me of suggestions to rebuild the World Trade Centre and include the names of the victims in the very structure itself.

"Deeds count, not words."

I beg to differ. The outpouring of the American public is largely words. Most Americans are not in a position to give much more than their words, be they prayers, condolences or sympathy.

Also, I think Bono's deeds, including visits to El Salvador, Chernobyl, Ethopia, as well as his work on the Jubilee 2000 campaign, more than demonstrate his willingness to do good deeds. As I recall, U2 performed on the first Victims Benefit telecast which included Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Hanks, Susan Sarandon...et al. Would Dan have us believe the words spoken by these people do not count?

This past weekend he and guitarist The Edge didn't bother to show up for their scheduled appearance at the Concert for New York City - that honored those fallen heroes and aided their families.

"This past weekend he and guitarist The Edge didn't bother to show up for their scheduled appearance at the Concert for New York City - that honored those fallen heroes and aided their families"

I believe he chose to stay with his daughter who was going through an Anthrax scare. Need I say more?

"Bono was so liberal, so politically correct, he made you want to puke green."

I can't even come up with a reasonable argument against this piece of vitriole, except to ask: Is Dan a reporter or an opinion writer?

"As an outsider, his audacity to think his celebrity gives him the right to tell us how and when to let go of our anger made the rage hotter. You wanted to hit him upside the head."

If Dan's reaction to someone suggestion he look to peaceful alternative, makes his "rage hotter", perhaps he needs to think about anger management counselling. Perhaps Dan's his reporting skills are too limited to realize that two of the member of U2 have homes in Manhattan. If that does not qualify them as "insiders", perhaps Dan would define for your readers, who is allowed to have an opinion, and within which downtown Manhattan streets they need to live.

Dan also seems to think that New Yorks "own" the grief associated with the terrible events of 9/11/01. This is a very insular way to look at these events. The whole world has been deeply affected, and it is not unreasonable for some people outside of New York to express their views on the matter.

"Bono should consider he's not a priest, just a singer. To steal a line that Bono sang when he was a boy: "If he starts to think, he'll start to cry.""

I'm afraid your reporters lack of ability to check facts is all too apparent. The lyric he is attempting to quote is: "If he stops to think, he starts to cry..."

Bono singer, not priest. Has Dan heard of John Lennon? Bob Marley? Bob Dylan? It is not unreasonable for a rock singer to have views other than the usual fare of girls/fast cars/pseudo teen angst.

"The music was great. The band played well. I wish I had stayed home."

The only paragraph I agree with.

To summarize:

The squeaky wheel statement, I can only assume, is a reference to Bono saying things during the concert, rather than just singing. I would suggest Dan stick to the CDs, and skip the live music experience completely. He seems to only like the music.

The mismash statement:
http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=mishmash

defines mishmash as A collection or mixture of unrelated things; a hodgepodge
http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=hodgepodge

defines hodgepodge as A mixture of dissimilar ingredients; a jumble

Your reporter's evidence was two statements advocating peace, and a visual tribute to the victims of a great tragedy. I cannot see how this can be described as a mishmash. Rather it has the simple message of peace.

I hope you will take this letter into consideration, when you perform your duties, allocating reporting tasks, and possibly also when you do your staff reviews. In this reader's opinion, you can do without the type of reporting demonstrated by Dan Aquilante.

Sincerely,

Andrew Hare

------------------
I'll tell you a story about Johnny McGory.
Shall I being it? Well, that's all that's in it

You could start a paper like that, but you could be sued for whatever that charge is.. personal defamation or something. can't remember what it's called, but i've heard about it in the news a lot.

Irate fans emailing reviewers does nothing to change their minds. It just makes the fans look overly sensitive and silly and puffs up the reviewer's ego. Bono puts himself out there and he knows how to roll with the punches.

There is a passage in a Buddhist which text makes reference to an old saying (meaning it was old 2500 years ago!) The passage reads: "There is an old saying, people will blame you if you say too much, they will blame you if you say too little, they will blame you if you say just enough. There is no one in this world who excapes blame."

So don't get all bent out of shape if someone criticizes Bono. Anyone who wears their heart on their sleeve as he does will get their fair share of criticism and he can take it.

Back
Top Bottom