!!! IMPORTANT - please write to Dan Aquilante @ the NYPOST !!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2001, 06:04 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Just forget about it. It is obvious that this guy doesnt like U2 and is just trying to create controversy and piss people off. He seems to have succeeded.

You need to look at the big picture. Remember the media bloodbath U2 took for alot of the Popmart shows? This tour has been the exact opposite. I think I have read 3 very bad reviews TOTAL for the entire tour and two of them are from this same asshole. Ignore it people! This is one of the greatest bands and tours of all time and 99% of the media, fans and general public know it.

Old 10-26-2001, 06:17 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Forget about him. He's not worth the time of day.

Old 10-26-2001, 11:39 PM   #23
Mr. MacPhisto's Whiney Wench

What I wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my disappointment with the standard of reporting in this article: http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/34316.htm

Your reporter, DAN AQUILANTE, appears to be bitter about something, and it is affecting the quality of his reporting.

"October 26, 2001 -- AT their return engagement at Madison Square Garden, U2 was a finely tuned rock machine, with a squeaky wheel named Bono at center stage."

A rather emotive opening, bordering on nasty, but lets see if he can substantiate his statement.

"Bono, the voice of U2, sang songs about peace, love and understanding in a city that was the target of hate a month ago."

Seems like a reasonable thing to do.

"Over the course of the two-hour concert, between highlights such as "Bullet the Blue Sky," "Beautiful Day," "Pride" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday," he expounded on a mishmash of topics."

"A mismash" - ok, we haven't got to the squeaky wheel part yet, but lets see what this mismatch is:

"Early on he praised IRA terrorists for finally laying down their guns."

Giving praise for a peaceful act, as opposed to a hateful act. Most reasonable people would agree laying down arms is something to be praised.

"He kissed an American flag that a kid in the audience waved with reverence, yet his jacket was lined with a cut-up Old Glory."

I would hardly call a tailored jacket, made in the image of a flag, "cut-up". Rather, the kissing of the flag, and wrapping himself in the image of the flag would seem to indicate his love for it.

"He told us to have empathy with Muslims. "They go to church, too," he informed the adoring crowd."

Sounds similar to something President Bush has also expoused. To paraphrase, "We are not at war with Islam, we are at war with terrorists". Once again, Bono is encouraging his audience towards peaceful actions.

"And he concluded the concert by scrolling the names of the victims of the four fatal Sept. 11 flights, as well as the names of the police and firefighters who died in the World Trade Center rescue efforts, on a large display screen."

A small tribute to the victims of a tragedy. Reminds me of suggestions to rebuild the World Trade Centre and include the names of the victims in the very structure itself.

"Deeds count, not words."

I beg to differ. The outpouring of the American public is largely words. Most Americans are not in a position to give much more than their words, be they prayers, condolences or sympathy.

Also, I think Bono's deeds, including visits to El Salvador, Chernobyl, Ethopia, as well as his work on the Jubilee 2000 campaign, more than demonstrate his willingness to do good deeds. As I recall, U2 performed on the first Victims Benefit telecast which included Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Hanks, Susan Sarandon...et al. Would Dan have us believe the words spoken by these people do not count?

This past weekend he and guitarist The Edge didn't bother to show up for their scheduled appearance at the Concert for New York City - that honored those fallen heroes and aided their families.

"This past weekend he and guitarist The Edge didn't bother to show up for their scheduled appearance at the Concert for New York City - that honored those fallen heroes and aided their families"

I believe he chose to stay with his daughter who was going through an Anthrax scare. Need I say more?

"Bono was so liberal, so politically correct, he made you want to puke green."

I can't even come up with a reasonable argument against this piece of vitriole, except to ask: Is Dan a reporter or an opinion writer?

"As an outsider, his audacity to think his celebrity gives him the right to tell us how and when to let go of our anger made the rage hotter. You wanted to hit him upside the head."

If Dan's reaction to someone suggestion he look to peaceful alternative, makes his "rage hotter", perhaps he needs to think about anger management counselling. Perhaps Dan's his reporting skills are too limited to realize that two of the member of U2 have homes in Manhattan. If that does not qualify them as "insiders", perhaps Dan would define for your readers, who is allowed to have an opinion, and within which downtown Manhattan streets they need to live.

Dan also seems to think that New Yorks "own" the grief associated with the terrible events of 9/11/01. This is a very insular way to look at these events. The whole world has been deeply affected, and it is not unreasonable for some people outside of New York to express their views on the matter.

"Bono should consider he's not a priest, just a singer. To steal a line that Bono sang when he was a boy: "If he starts to think, he'll start to cry.""

I'm afraid your reporters lack of ability to check facts is all too apparent. The lyric he is attempting to quote is: "If he stops to think, he starts to cry..."

Bono singer, not priest. Has Dan heard of John Lennon? Bob Marley? Bob Dylan? It is not unreasonable for a rock singer to have views other than the usual fare of girls/fast cars/pseudo teen angst.

"The music was great. The band played well. I wish I had stayed home."

The only paragraph I agree with.

To summarize:

The squeaky wheel statement, I can only assume, is a reference to Bono saying things during the concert, rather than just singing. I would suggest Dan stick to the CDs, and skip the live music experience completely. He seems to only like the music.

The mismash statement:
http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=mishmash

defines mishmash as A collection or mixture of unrelated things; a hodgepodge
http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/di...erm=hodgepodge

defines hodgepodge as A mixture of dissimilar ingredients; a jumble

Your reporter's evidence was two statements advocating peace, and a visual tribute to the victims of a great tragedy. I cannot see how this can be described as a mishmash. Rather it has the simple message of peace.

I hope you will take this letter into consideration, when you perform your duties, allocating reporting tasks, and possibly also when you do your staff reviews. In this reader's opinion, you can do without the type of reporting demonstrated by Dan Aquilante.

Sincerely,

Andrew Hare

------------------
I'll tell you a story about Johnny McGory.
Shall I being it? Well, that's all that's in it
Old 10-26-2001, 11:57 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Bah. He seems to be one of those people who just don't like U2 and Bono in particular and spend ridiculous amount of effort and fact-stretching in order to paint them black. Not worthy of attention, IMO.
Old 10-27-2001, 02:01 AM   #25
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:37 PM
You could start a paper like that, but you could be sued for whatever that charge is.. personal defamation or something. can't remember what it's called, but i've heard about it in the news a lot.
Old 10-27-2001, 02:22 AM   #26
The Fly

Irate fans emailing reviewers does nothing to change their minds. It just makes the fans look overly sensitive and silly and puffs up the reviewer's ego. Bono puts himself out there and he knows how to roll with the punches.

There is a passage in a Buddhist which text makes reference to an old saying (meaning it was old 2500 years ago!) The passage reads: "There is an old saying, people will blame you if you say too much, they will blame you if you say too little, they will blame you if you say just enough. There is no one in this world who excapes blame."

So don't get all bent out of shape if someone criticizes Bono. Anyone who wears their heart on their sleeve as he does will get their fair share of criticism and he can take it.
Old 10-27-2001, 02:55 AM   #27
The Fly

Location: Lucca, Tuscany, Italy (soon I will become an american citizen though :D )
Blah

------------------
*+*Laura*+*
[i][b]Mrs.rougerum[b]
(definately the better half!)[i]