Important message to KaZaA users

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squid

The Fly
Kazaa users -

You may already know this, and it may or may not matter to you, but I thought I should inform you that Kazaa contains spyware.
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/08/02/parasite_capital/

I recommend switching to Morpheus, which is literally EXACTLY like Kazaa, but with no spyware.

Plus, you might want to get rid of the Kazaa spyware, and any other spyware you may have picked up over your internet career.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Download Ad-Aware 5.6 (Free and effective).

This message was brought to you by the Squid Against Bad Companies Organization.

Well, you should also know that Morpheus has just been sued by the RIAA like Napster was. Say goodbye to your favorite software, although, if it is true, there should be no way to stop it, as it has no central servers. The RIAA contends that is not true.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

If the RIAA wins the only thing that will get knocked down is the site where you download it from. Morpheous and Kazza are both self-sustaining software programs that don't require a central server (as you said). Thus in order to stop us they'd need to literally delete every copy of the software on every computer, even if they find a way to do that someone can always remake it and distribute it underground.

LONG LIVE FREE MUSIC!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by mbi16 (edited 10-05-2001).]

What is the best free music service? Napster was wonderful for it's day, but it now dead. Is Morpheus the best now? Does it have annoying ads? Is it resource intensive? Does it actually work as well / better than Napster? I downloaded the Morpheus client after hearing of the suit (and I use Ad-Aware all the time, BTW
wink.gif
), but I was wondering if the software had any quirks I should know about.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Well, as to the best free music service, WinMX was recommended to me a while ago, but that sucked. Then Kazaa was recommended to me, but that sucked (in principal). Now Morpheus has been recommended to me, and I've found it works almost as well as Napster did, back in the day. Of course, you can search for other things besides music (videos come to mind).

Ad-wise, it's not bad. The "Main Page" of Morpheus has a bunch of links and announcements from MusicCity, but since you'll be spending all your time in the "Search" page anyway, that isn't really of importance. There is one small ad in the corner of the search page, but to tell you the truth, I hadn't noticed it until I went to go look for ads. So I don't have any qualms about that.

It has a playlist similar to Napster, and it might have a "hotlist", I'm not sure (but who ever used Napster's hotlist?). And the internal mp3 player is passable, but I just use Winamp, what with the cool skins and all.
smile.gif

One nice feature is that when you are searching, it'll group the same file into a list (like the directories in Windows - with the "+" that you click to expand), so you don't have to search through 50 copies of the same song.

As for being resource-intensive, I don't really experience any slowdown when running Morpheus and doing some other stuff, but your results could vary, depending on RAM.

So I'd use Morpheus over whatever alternatives are out, at least until the latest and greatest software is released and sued (such is the tradition).

Thanks for all the info Squid...very much appreciated.

I've used WinMX and Augiogalaxy. I haven't tried Morpheus, because I've been happy with AG. I don't know about Morpheus, but one thing I like about AG is that I can put in a search for a song, and once my request is in there, it's in there! I don't have to keep searching for a song each time I sign on, if I don't get it downloaded the first time I request it. Lately I have noticed more songs X'ed off, though. That means you can't download it. But, if you go to later pages with the song listed, you'll find ones you can download...usually with the spelling of the song changed. Example "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, changed to "Don't Speek."

As for Ad-Aware, when I first downloaded it, it caught 157 spyware elements!!!! I deleted them all, and I use it everytime I get online!

Well, that's my 2 cents worth!

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

Back
Top Bottom