Important: Free, Fee, or Gone --- Feedback!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please read my post below, then vote on which option you support:

• Shutdown the forum (ultimately, the last resort)

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Charge a mandatory $1.50-2.00 (suggested) per month/per member

Votes: 22 12.1%
  • Have both free and 'Premium' memberships (detailed below)

Votes: 140 76.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will give people enough of a taste of what goes on here, how the forum works, etc. so that they will hopefully be interested in signing up.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
So with the free membership you won't be able to post? You'll just be able to look at which six boards??

:(

I'm undecided as far as if free will be able to post or not.... I will possibly start out with Free being able to post in a few of the forums, including 'Everything You Know Is Wrong'.

Elvis said:

I'm undecided as far as if free will be able to post or not.... I will possibly start out with Free being able to post in a few of the forums, including 'Everything You Know Is Wrong'.

The potential problem with that is that people who can't post in other forums will post off-topic information in the wrong forums, since they can only post in those forums (did that make sense?? *lol*).

I guess there are potential problems with any situation though.

Elvis said:

psst.....hey kid, want some candy? Really, it's good. Yeah, you can just HAVE it. Really, it's ok, I got lots more were that came from. You just enjoy this and let me know if you want some more." :mac: :sexywink:

Like O2 said:

psst.....hey kid, want some candy? Really, it's good. Yeah, you can just HAVE it. Really, it's ok, I got lots more were that came from. You just enjoy this and let me know if you want some more." :mac: :sexywink:

Shush ;)

:mac:

Re: Re: my 2 cents

Elvis said:

Also, there have been several times when I've just 'burned out' of working on the site or even paying attention - one time I didn't even look at it for 3 months, and when I returned the membership had trippled.

I thought this was really really funny. I'm not sure why.
:dance:

Desire4Bono said:
On the subject of Zootopia, it gives me the headache to read its small print but I like it there. Someone mentioned 'freedoms' this board has that Zootopia doesn't, but the only ones I can think of is that you can't have a major potty mouth there and bashing of and joking on band members or each other is not so tolerated as it is here. They don't put up with fights, personal insults and heated political stuff, like country vs. country arguments. They don't allow spreading rumors and negative joking on the band or a band member either, no matter how harmless you may think that is, the band doesn't like it and u2.com doesn't accept it. You may say those things don't happen here, but I have seen it. Everyone has their own sense of judgement, and I think here sometimes popularity, personal feelings and alliances get in the way of things where over there, they stop it, no matter who did it or who said it. They don't put up with people making aliases just to insult a band member or a forum member or people joining up just to stir shit. Again, there may be a difference in values as to what constitutes stirring shit. Zootopia is the official site of the band and they do not permit trash talking about each other or the band. Some of the things considered funny and cool here are not over there, and I agree with them. I'd say they'd shut down the album bashing threads I see here but you know what? I have honestly never seen one there. I guess most of the people who do that are here;)

this is why I would pay 10$, to have all those beautiful options. Some don?t give a shit what a band member likes or dislikes, you know. Its rock?n?roll, Babe, not the merchandise machine.

edit: 12$... high interest rates, but ain?t the King for nothing.

Last edited:
Elvis said:

I HAVE had to find out who people REALLY are, due to abuse, and contact either their ISPs or their employers (in one extreme case where the ISP was the employer). Sorry to scare you - just dishin' out more reality.

Joel

I hope you would contact me per email before contacting my employer ?!?

I go for option number three. I have a very boring job (I?m inputing data for my accountant boss all day) and because I work for a university, we super fast connection, and I'm on more than I should be. In fact, I've given myself a limit of 30 minutes but lets face it, you can't limit yourself especially if you want to read a couple of threads in their entirety- I'm addicted!!! I have no problem paying monthly or yearly but since I'm only on at work (I won?t get near the computer at home) I guess monthly would work out for me.
This if the only forum I participate in ....wait I do view Larry's folder in Zootopia but it's a little boring it doesn't compare to this site!!

Here's the official info for yearly accounts. Monthly will be added soon... I promise.

Subscribe to Interference.com's Forum - $12 (US) per year

When subscribing to Interference.com's Forum, you become a Premium member.

Premium members are entitled to:
Use all public forums (posting and reading
View members info/profiles
Download attachments
Search the forum
Can use 'email to friend' feature
Can post attachments (limited for now)
Can post polls
Can use Private Messaging
Can use Message Tracking
Can View Who's Online
... as well as other present and future features.

Members that do not upgrade (free) to Premium will only have post and read access to a very limited number of forums.

To subscribe... click the SUBSCRIBE icon in the top right of the forum!

Here's a dumb question Elvis (and forgive me if someone already asked, but your thread is 18 pages long!) ... when I subscribe (which I fully intend to do) will my user name etc... change or will everything remain the same? :huh:

:wave: Thx for all your hard work!

oh! and how long do we have to subscribe??? I just charged the Best of today to Visa and my train ticket to Montreal. Oh! and the new David Gray... and holy crap, I am going to be forever in debt.. what's another $12! Somebody told me today that U2 and CD's were going to be the end of me.... how right he was
:combust: :hyper:

Last edited:
Angel said:
Here's a dumb question Elvis (and forgive me if someone already asked, but your thread is 18 pages long!) ... when I subscribe (which I fully intend to do) will my user name etc... change or will everything remain the same? :huh:

:wave: Thx for all your hard work!

oh! and how long do we have to subscribe??? I just charged the Best of today to Visa and my train ticket to Montreal. Oh! and the new David Gray... and holy crap, I am going to be forever in debt.. what's another $12! Somebody told me today that U2 and CD's were going to be the end of me.... how right he was
:combust: :hyper:

Stays the same :) ...an no one had asked that...

If you click on the subscribe link, when you get to the second page it explains that you must use your EXACT forum user name when subscribing. -- of course.. I just explained part of it ;)

On December 1, 2002 the subscription system will be active and Premium Memberships will be required for most of the forums fucntionality.

Joel

Elvis~

If we'd like to pay for a membership to "sponsor" another member, how would we go about that? Should we subscribe the same way and make a note of it? Or should we just hold off for now?

(Sorry if this was asked already...I read through things, but I didn't see it! :uhoh: ).

Last edited:
yo, so when does this premium membership start taking effect?

as in, how long until one can't read the forums without paying?
*curious*

Last edited:
Quick question...

When you say premium members will be allowed to post attachments is that in ADDITION to posting pics in a thread through another site (ie snapfish)?

I think I like the idea of the subcription premium member thingy. I pesonally cant pay (I'm in high school) But I think it's the best idea for this place.

daisybean said:
Are you still gonna also do the @interference email service?

If this 'Premium Membership' drive is successful, I'll will most likely add other paid 'premium' type services such as the email. I decided that I really didnt want to over extended myself, or my resources prior to stabalizing what we have now (ie, the forum).

Joel

Bonochick said:
Elvis~

If we'd like to pay for a membership to "sponsor" another member, how would we go about that? Should we subscribe the same way and make a note of it? Or should we just hold off for now?

(Sorry if this was asked already...I read through things, but I didn't see it! :uhoh:).

If you'd like to subscribe for someone else, all you have to do is put their exact User Name in the subscription form instead of yours. Keep in mind this is a paypal subscription, so after a year is up, you'll be charged again (unless you cancel). Also, it'd be a smart idea to let the person know you are sponsoring them :)

JOel

Kristie said:
yo, so when does this premium membership start taking effect?

as in, how long until one can't read the forums without paying?
*curious*

As the subscription page states.... December 1, 2002
However, certain forums will still be open for reading by registered members (free). The entire forum now requires registration to even read. This is actually for technical reasons, as I've found the server to need less processor resources if all users are required to login :)

Joel

U2SavesTheWorld said:
Quick question...

When you say premium members will be allowed to post attachments is that in ADDITION to posting pics in a thread through another site (ie snapfish)?

In the near future, the forum is going to have a much larger server... and at that time, I will most likely start allowing Premium members to post attachments such as pictures so they will no longer need to use services like snapfish.

Joel

RavenStar said:
I think I like the idea of the subcription premium member thingy. I pesonally cant pay (I'm in high school) But I think it's the best idea for this place.

If you truly can't pay, perhaps someone would like to sponsor you.

Joel

Thats true. But I really wouldnt want to have some else pay for me. Like if someone wants to, sure. But I could try and live without this place if I had to. I dont want anyone to feel like they HAVE to pay for me or anything. I'd really love to be able to pay cos I could cough up the money it's just that I cant use the pay things. And I dont trust snail mail. (Last time my mum sent me cash when I was at camp it got lost.)

I'm a little fly on the wall in the grand scheme of interference, so I'll try to be adequately brief.

I voted for #3. I think it's the fairest option provided. I currently have a paid LJ account (which was originally a gift), but I like the service so much, I will have no qualms forking over money to renew it. So, paying for a service here, and the proposed fee are not exactly daunting.

However, I believe it's wrong to only have 6 forums available to free users. Places like PLEBA and Lemonade Stand attract a lot of people. All of us here know that Interference is a community, but a lurking newbie, who comes here after the changes kick in, wouldn't have the slightest idea what they're missing. Yes, Interference is the biggest community, and it's precisely this community feeling many of you have alluded to - but simply put, I don't think that it will be THAT obvious from EYKIW (and let's face it, most people will only go to this one) what a great place is. EYKIW contains the type of posts which CAN be found in other places, like The Wire, or even the tedious Zootopia.

In short, I agree with whatever you want to do, but if you want new people to keep joining, I don't think they'll just fork over the money for something they know nothing about, and have never had the privilege to experience. Therefore, I'd propose all forums be read-only for free users, and that way some red blooded women will be drawn by PLEBA, some off the wall characters by LS, political nuts by FYM and the sports freaks as well. JMO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom