Important: Free, Fee, or Gone --- Feedback! - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Please read my post below, then vote on which option you support:
Shutdown the forum (ultimately, the last resort) 20 10.99%
Charge a mandatory $1.50-2.00 (suggested) per month/per member 22 12.09%
Have both free and 'Premium' memberships (detailed below) 140 76.92%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2002, 05:14 PM   #81
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:26 AM
Sorry, what a bomb!, but I don't think that would ever happen. Besides...if it did become the official forum for U2.com, they would take things over with their crew, and we would lose a lot of freedom.

I don't wanna see this place go...I've met too many great people here and had too many good times to just let it slip away.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-30-2002, 05:26 PM   #82
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Normal Hmm...

Well, I dont like the idea of interference disappearing. However, Ive applied to an innumerable number of jobs, and am still left with nothing. So basically, Id be gone if we went all pay.

Its my opinion, that the people who are here, are here because of the atmosphere. It would seem logical that taking away some of the extravagencies would hardly have an impact on those who really care to be here, I know that I would still be here whether there were smilies or not. Id still be here were there avatars or not. Id still be here were there images and files or not. Its all about the community, not about the fancy little details. Sure, those are nice, but if people want them, they can pay for them. I dont know how feasible that is, but I think itd drop bw use quite dramatically.

Here are my suggestions:
Having not read the rest of this thread, the problem is likely in the bandwidth consumption, as is par for any website. So, my suggestion, is to get rid of a lot of the images. Only give people who pay the option to have an avatar, to post an image, and to use the smilies. Essentially, having thousands of posters with 78 different smilies, up to 8 (i think) in a post, able to post their own images, and individual unique avatars... that would consume enough bw to take down even the mightiest of web servers, yet youre still here, which is incredible imho. Remote storing of pms and hosting of various files, also consumes bandwidth for transfers, and server space for keeping them - subsequently slowing down the server. None of these things are really secrets. However, if you were to eliminate smilies, avatars, and other specialties from 90% of the user base, itd be a great deal more helpful.

Instead of posting images, files, etc. People could post links to those resources. Or, better still, leave an un-linked URL that people would be forced to visit in a different window of internet explorer, saving any connection difficulties, while also saving on server resources. One or two bytes might not seem like a lot of data, but if you take that one or two extra bytes, multiply it by number of page hits, by time frame, and by number of threads... youve got yourself a shitload of wasted resources.

I was only really speaking with members in mind before, but think of all the guests/lurkers, they view all the images on a page, all the text and formatting in addition, and it consumes even more than just counting the members.

Perhaps also placing a registration fee, for anyone who joins from now on. I dont know if that would help anything or not.

I agree that a fee in some form is necessary. And anyone who cares about this site would be more than willing to pay it, if able. Id be more than happy to pay, I am just completely and utterly broke at the moment. I already owe you (elvis) so much for running this site, without it, I wouldnt have found Lilly... I cant even come close to thanking you enough for that... So anything to help out this site, would be my pleasure.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:31 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I still think FYM needs to go.
I still think the PLEBA backlog takes up more bandwidth than all the low traffic forums combined and needs to be reduced. Why is it no one but Sparkysgrrrl and I have addressed the issue of backlog clutter? This is a BIG BANDWIDTH eater and uses TONS of storage space on the server. Do you guys in EYKIW want to pay to help keep all the long picture filled PLEBA threads (some of them off-topic even) stored months after anyone has looked at them? I LOVE PLEBA and pics more than most of you, but I see this as the cold hard facts and something that needs to be considered.

Tell us- how much bandwidth and server storage space can be saved by deleting all threads after 60 days? (except a very few special ones that could be archived) How much would that cut back on the money we need to raise?
Old 10-30-2002, 05:36 PM   #84
I serve MacPhisto

Sicy: SomethingAwful.com and Fark.com are both kickass sites in regards to the forums and forum rules. People do bitch about right to free speech and crap here when posts get closed, and time and again Ive said something along the same lines as that, its a privately owned and operated forum with its own rules, if the mods/admins dont approve of what you have to say, you are here by privelege only, and it can be taken away. My only complaint on that level, is that not enough people understand that fact, and there arent enough people banned for being idiots about it, fact of the matter is that someone sitting at home doesnt own the world, cant say whatever they want, and isnt entitled to shit from the staff/assistant crew of this site, if they dont like it they shouldnt be here. Thats another good way to cut bandwidth use; get rid of all the idiots who troll/flame the mods.

</very non-troll post >
Old 10-30-2002, 05:47 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkysgrrrl
U2Kitten speaketh the truth.

My feelings are, if you are going to ask for the users to pay, then their suggestions need to be taken into consideration a little more. There is so much fat on this site that needs to be trimmed it's not even funny. This is a slow site, it may have over 11,000 members, but there is a small percentage of posts per day, I've never experienced the problems I've had at other boards with the server being too busy at times, and if it is run by one person out of their own pockets, they can run it the way they like, but if it's too much hassel, then they need to pass the crown down to someone else.

If ppl are expected to pay, then this should be run more diplomatically than it currently is, and I certainly hope that if it comes to paying, it is run more diplomatically.
Right on Sparkysgrrrl! I can't believe this is being ignored. It seems like most people are either "I love this place I'll do anything so I won't lose it" or "I'll just go somewhere else." The people in charge seem to look right through all the suggestions people have made as if to leave the message that everything is going to stay exactly as it is, we just want you to foot the bill now. If one person pays it all, it is their board to rule. But if you give up that financial control, other kinds of control might have to be sacrificed as well. Think about it, it's like that in every business or organization. If we all pay, all our suggestions should be listened to and considered because it will not be just Elvis's board but OUR board. Paying members should be able to have a voice on certain things.

Can anyone deny that the backlog of ancient, long-forgotten threads is eating bandwidth and server space? Think how much less we'd have to pay if that were done. Clean out the junk closet. Reduce for efficiency. Back to basics. I still see no point in keeping thousands of mythical inactive 'members' on the site unless they are only there to hold the claim of 'largest online U2 community.' In reality, there are only a few hundred people here and they should be considered the real community and we need to do what's best for them.

There are things that need to be addressed if things are to work out for the best for everybody. Please think about it.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:50 PM   #86
Refugee

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
Sorry, what a bomb!, but I don't think that would ever happen. Besides...if it did become the official forum for U2.com, they would take things over with their crew, and we would lose a lot of freedom.

I don't wanna see this place go...I've met too many great people here and had too many good times to just let it slip away.
um... like I pointed out, loss of control but the deal would have to be that Intererference stays as it is! I know it sounds impossible, but stranger things have happened...!
Old 10-30-2002, 05:51 PM   #87
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by what a bomb!

um... like I pointed out, loss of control but the deal would have to be that Intererference stays as it is! I know it sounds impossible, but stranger things have happened...!
HelloAngel stated earlier in this thread that it is not gonna happen. Apparently, things have been tried, to no avail.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:52 PM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

I still think the PLEBA backlog takes up more bandwidth than all the low traffic forums combined and needs to be reduced..... Do you guys in EYKIW want to pay to help keep all the long picture filled PLEBA threads (some of them off-topic even) stored months after anyone has looked at them? I LOVE PLEBA and pics more than most of you, but I see this as the cold hard facts and something that needs to be considered.

Tell us- how much bandwidth and server storage space can be saved by deleting all threads after 60 days? (except a very few special ones that could be archived) How much would that cut back on the money we need to raise?
I agree with you!
Old 10-30-2002, 05:53 PM   #89
Refugee

Quote:

The people in charge seem to look right through all the suggestions people have made as if to leave the message that everything is going to stay exactly as it is, we just want you to foot the bill now. If one person pays it all, it is their board to rule. But if you give up that financial control, other kinds of control might have to be sacrificed as well. Think about it, it's like that in every business or organization. If we all pay, all our suggestions should be listened to and considered because it will not be just Elvis's board but OUR board.
*sigh*

How do you think things change around here? We listen to the suggestions that make sense...even some that don't...lol...but seriously...to say that we don't listen? That's just bollocks.

You may not always agree with our decisions, but we do what we think is best.

I voted for $10 a year...definately not too much to charge for a huge source of entertainment in my life.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:56 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

, just stricter.

i guess each forum is different.
I dont think I would last a day there
An afternoon? Perhaps
A day? Hell no
I like this place
DB9
Old 10-30-2002, 05:57 PM   #91
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:

If one person pays it all, it is their board to rule. But if you give up that financial control, other kinds of control might have to be sacrificed as well. Think about it, it's like that in every business or organization. If we all pay, all our suggestions should be listened to and considered because it will not be just Elvis's board but OUR board. Paying members should be able to have a voice on certain things.
The admins and mods always listen to suggestions and thoughts brought forth by members. Heck...there is an entire forum dedicated to suggestions.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:01 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~
. People do bitch about right to free speech and crap here when posts get closed, and time and again Ive said something along the same lines as that, its a privately owned and operated forum with its own rules, if the mods/admins dont approve of what you have to say, you are here by privelege only, and it can be taken away. ....get rid of all the idiots who troll/flame the mods.

I totally agree with the fact that being here is sometimes taken for granted... it is not a democracy. However, I don't see a lot of "idiots" bashing the mods/admins or trolling the board to egg people on. Compared to other boards, the whining and bashing here is minimal.

Sorry to get off topic....

Anyhoo....would getting rid of all that backlog and old threads help reduce bandwidth? I agree with U2 Kitten, that not many people are going go looking for JT Bono Appreciation thread #12986
Old 10-30-2002, 06:10 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Quote:

If one person pays it all, it is their board to rule. But if you give up that financial control, other kinds of control might have to be sacrificed as well. Think about it, it's like that in every business or organization. If we all pay, all our suggestions should be listened to and considered because it will not be just Elvis's board but OUR board. Paying members should be able to have a voice on certain things.
Why should a membership fee change the balance of power on this board? It's like saying "I pay for cable, and they should stop offering HBO to everyone because I don't like it." "Or I pay my phone bill I want a different area code, I don't like this one." Just because you pay for a service doesn't mean you have any type of ownerhip in it. Even now, at least we know we can express our opinions. Jeez, Elvis didn't even have to ask us about this...he could have got up one day and decided to put on a mandatory fee or pull the plug on this place. Most owners/Admins of most boards are not as respectful toward's it's members.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:13 PM   #94
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean

Jeez, Elvis didn't even have to ask us about this...he could have got up one day and decided to put on a mandatory fee or pull the plug on this place. Most owners/Admins of most boards are not as respectful toward's it's members.
VERY true.

How would everybody have felt if you tried to come to interference.com this morning, and the site was gone forever without warning?

Old 10-30-2002, 06:14 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:26 AM
Big Grin

To tell you the truth, I am surprised we are in this situation. I don't understand why, with all the regular users we have, we haven't been able to raise the required $5,000. If everyone would just skip a couple cups of coffee or snacks and use the money to donate, the problem would be solved.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:17 PM   #96
War Child

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Perhaps the fact that more donations aren't coming in is showing that while in theory ppl are willing to pay, but in practise, they can't or won't.
It may be a sign of what would happen if it were to become a pay site.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:21 PM   #97
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps the fact that more donations aren't coming in is showing that while in theory ppl are willing to pay, but in practise, they can't or won't.
I think it's a sign that the vast majority of people figured they'd just let others donate money, and they wouldn't have to worry about it.

I think that ultimately, if people had to pay...or had the option to pay and get special features...people would be more likely to, as opposed to just donating a random amount towards the entire site. The money somebody would pay in this case would be for their own personal account, which is different.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:37 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean

Anyhoo....would getting rid of all that backlog and old threads help reduce bandwidth? I agree with U2 Kitten, that not many people are going go looking for JT Bono Appreciation thread #12986
Nope. Most of that stuff isnt actually looked at all that often.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:40 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

VERY true.

How would everybody have felt if you tried to come to interference.com this morning, and the site was gone forever without warning?
the Radiohead forum at greenplastic.com was just gone one afternoon.... poof... no more. My friend Jon runs that site... he got tired of people taking it for granted and having to foot the bill. It was the largest RH community.. like this place is in the world of U2.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:42 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
No... what it shows is that when people have the OPTION to donate, but there isnt a requred fee, they will leech all they can until they can't any longer....

and.. if membership drops because people are too cheap to spare a cup of coffee... so be it. whatever.