Important: Free, Fee, or Gone --- Feedback! - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Please read my post below, then vote on which option you support:
Shutdown the forum (ultimately, the last resort) 20 10.99%
Charge a mandatory $1.50-2.00 (suggested) per month/per member 22 12.09%
Have both free and 'Premium' memberships (detailed below) 140 76.92%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2002, 07:36 AM   #281
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:49 AM
A thought

I don't think this has been suggested yet.....

I don't know how technical this would get, it seems like with the subscription requirement in place it may not be hard to do, but what about a trial membership? Alot of sites do this, just as an example those sites that will let you access your credit report for a month with weekly updates. For Interference it could be a day, week, whatever time frame - they would have to initially register with basic info like they do now, and during the trial period they could read, post, whatever - all access to be able to get a feel for everything that is here, including PLEBA, LS, FYM etc. When they then go to log in after their free trial is up, they get a screen that says, times up, get the full package for just $12 a year. I'm assuming you're going to have to have a tracking system and notice like that for when paid subscriptions expire anyway.

I know there could be few potential problems, but it seems like they would be doing alot of work just to get around paying $12/year. For example, it could be a problem that people just keep re-registering with different names to keep getting it free, but you could require a valid email address to receive a password that is good only during the free trial (ie click on a link thru their email), and then when they sign up and pay they could choose their own password. Someone might sign up just to post spam, but that has already been an occasional problem here.

This may just be an option to try if there doesn't seem to be many people subscribing that aren't already on Interference. I do like to see new 'faces' around here in the forums that currently won't be available without subscription. This could help too with out-of-place postings that may become a problem as BC previously suggested with allowing free posting in only 6 forums.

Old 11-06-2002, 08:05 AM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:49 AM
Re: A thought

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
I don't think this has been suggested yet.....

I don't know how technical this would get, it seems like with the subscription requirement in place it may not be hard to do, but what about a trial membership? Alot of sites do this, just as an example those sites that will let you access your credit report for a month with weekly updates. For Interference it could be a day, week, whatever time frame - they would have to initially register with basic info like they do now, and during the trial period they could read, post, whatever - all access to be able to get a feel for everything that is here, including PLEBA, LS, FYM etc. When they then go to log in after their free trial is up, they get a screen that says, times up, get the full package for just $12 a year. I'm assuming you're going to have to have a tracking system and notice like that for when paid subscriptions expire anyway.

I know there could be few potential problems, but it seems like they would be doing alot of work just to get around paying $12/year. For example, it could be a problem that people just keep re-registering with different names to keep getting it free, but you could require a valid email address to receive a password that is good only during the free trial (ie click on a link thru their email), and then when they sign up and pay they could choose their own password. Someone might sign up just to post spam, but that has already been an occasional problem here.

This may just be an option to try if there doesn't seem to be many people subscribing that aren't already on Interference. I do like to see new 'faces' around here in the forums that currently won't be available without subscription. This could help too with out-of-place postings that may become a problem as BC previously suggested with allowing free posting in only 6 forums.

Unfortunately, people can setup new free valid email addresses about as fast as they can count to 10. I agree there needs to be some sort of 'preview' but until I can create an easy way of managing and tracking such, I'm afraid we are stuck without one, and instead offering a much lower end service to our free users (for now). I've found that when people CAN abuse a system, they usually will, or will find a way to do so. Free trials smell of account creation abuse.

Joel

Old 11-06-2002, 10:50 AM   #283
Refugee

Local Time: 09:49 AM
I'm at school and shouldne even be posting but...
The money order thingy sounds good. I might ask a family member to donate for me as a present or something.
I dont wanna see this site disapeer
Old 11-06-2002, 10:52 AM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: A thought

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

Unfortunately, people can setup new free valid email addresses about as fast as they can count to 10.

I've found that when people CAN abuse a system, they usually will, or will find a way to do so. Free trials smell of account creation abuse.

Joel
This is very true, and it's what happened with boomspeed. They only give you 1 MEG free, which isn't enough to fill a PLEBA girl's hollow tooth, so some of us made two or more accounts. Eventually, we were caught 'abusing' their service (translation--->posting massive amounts of pics here and leaving them linked, thus using up their bandwidth and server space) All 'abusive' accounts were shut down and they offered to start us back up with a 100MG account (about 3000 hot U2 pics) for $2 the first 2 months and $6 a month afterward. Even though that is a lot of space, and it's so good to know you won't be shut down (as has happened with many photo hosting sites in the past for us) that really is a ripoff compared to the $10-12 yearly fee here, considering all you get. It would cost much more to host your pics than it would be to post them here! But the end result is, contrary to the old saying, none of the best things in life are free. The gravy train of Interference, like boomspeed, has run out and we must decide to pay up or shut up. There are no other options. Question- how long do we have before the shit hits the fan and members start to get turned off?
Old 11-06-2002, 10:54 AM   #285
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Re: Re: A thought

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

Unfortunately, people can setup new free valid email addresses about as fast as they can count to 10. I agree there needs to be some sort of 'preview' but until I can create an easy way of managing and tracking such, I'm afraid we are stuck without one, and instead offering a much lower end service to our free users (for now). I've found that when people CAN abuse a system, they usually will, or will find a way to do so. Free trials smell of account creation abuse.

Joel
Can't you do something where you have a free for a week preview type thing. Every few months or so change the settings on the board, so it's like it is now....anyone can register and read without having to pay...then once the week is up go back to subsription only.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:01 AM   #286
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Question- how long do we have before the shit hits the fan and members start to get turned off?
december 1st.

i have a question as well, or maybe it's more of a suggestion. for the premium members, when they post attachments (just for pics, of course), could they show up in the post instead of just as a link? like maaaaaaaaaaybe if we were to see how thangs were going once people started paying and see if bandwidth costs were running down and stuff, and maybe then see if that could be a possibility?
Old 11-06-2002, 02:42 PM   #287
Banned

this forum will become strictly North America zone with very limited number of users , i can pay for cable , i can pay for electricity , i can pay for food , multimedia , but to pay for right to use the forum , post on it , it's not worthy . and it will never work , i have bad thoughts about all this , it concerns taking serious amount of money from people . we'll see. i

s there any way to do forum for free , i can agree to give up , all the avatars , pics , smilies , any versions , any ????
Old 11-06-2002, 03:04 PM   #288
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

I said this aloud to myself somewhere else, but can we "surprise" sponsor someone? As in, just do it, even if they object?
Old 11-06-2002, 03:30 PM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: A thought

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean

Can't you do something where you have a free for a week preview type thing. Every few months or so change the settings on the board, so it's like it is now....anyone can register and read without having to pay...then once the week is up go back to subsription only.
I've considered such things.. and others... I'm not creating the iron curtain here folks... trust me.. I want this place to continue to grow also
Old 11-06-2002, 03:32 PM   #290
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
I said this aloud to myself somewhere else, but can we "surprise" sponsor someone? As in, just do it, even if they object?
ABSOLUTELY.

Just fill in their User Name instead of yours when subscribing.

Joel
Old 11-06-2002, 03:35 PM   #291
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkfloyd
this forum will become strictly North America zone with very limited number of users , i can pay for cable , i can pay for electricity , i can pay for food , multimedia , but to pay for right to use the forum , post on it , it's not worthy . and it will never work , i have bad thoughts about all this , it concerns taking serious amount of money from people . we'll see. i

s there any way to do forum for free , i can agree to give up , all the avatars , pics , smilies , any versions , any ????
Kill your TV.

Pay to be brainwashed by non-interactive media being spoon fed.... yah.. thats MUCH better than actually supporting something interactive... with REAL people. </sarcasm>
Old 11-06-2002, 03:50 PM   #292
War Child

I feel so wonderful, now that I'm a Premium member!!!

As always, thanks Joel!!! for your ever present leadership!!!
Old 11-06-2002, 04:02 PM   #293
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:49 PM

I just want to say that I'll be more than happy to sponsor someone. I know a lot of people probably don't want to ask to be sponsored, so if any of you out there know of someone please PM me!
Old 11-06-2002, 04:25 PM   #294
Refugee

Local Time: 07:49 AM
well i just seen the pop up message for 12$ US a year.

You do know thats a fortune in Canada, right?

Ah no i'll pay it!!!

12$ for the hours of time i've spent here is just a little of what i owe ou Joel!!!

Thanks!!
Old 11-06-2002, 04:50 PM   #295
Banned

Joel , can i just sent you 2 dollars a month on your address ???
Old 11-06-2002, 05:01 PM   #296
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Yep you can.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:24 PM   #297
War Child

Hee hee I did it, I paid $12 for this place and I hardly use it. I fgured that the hell, consider it my 13 month trial period, if it ends up not being worth it I can cancel it before next year.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:32 PM   #298
Blue Crack Addict

I mailed out an International Money Order tonight, as I live in Canada and don't want to use my Amex and their ridiculous exchange rate. It should be there early next week (but with Canada Post, it's always 5% hoping, 95% praying).

I'm wondering whether those of us who sent it via snail mail, and included our e-mail addresses can get an e-mail confirmation that the money arrived?
Old 11-06-2002, 06:38 PM   #299
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I mailed out an International Money Order tonight, as I live in Canada and don't want to use my Amex and their ridiculous exchange rate. It should be there early next week (but with Canada Post, it's always 5% hoping, 95% praying).

I'm wondering whether those of us who sent it via snail mail, and included our e-mail addresses can get an e-mail confirmation that the money arrived?
Exactly why I required an email address be included.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Joel
Old 11-06-2002, 06:53 PM   #300
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I forget whom asked/commented about how many active posters there are.... but in the last 5 days alone.... over 700 people have posted. In the last 30 days, almost 3000 have actually posted as well.

Not bad.

Also... I'm working on a FAQ that should answer questions about subscribing/Premium Membership .. I'll let you know when it's done... if you have any questions that haven't been asked here already, please feel free to ask them here and I'll see that they get answered.

Joel