Images in U2 songs (relating U2 to schoolwork part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guess I've got you all stumped huh? Either that or you just don't care. Yeah. Probably the latter. Care damnit!

And I need an idea for Bad very badly.

Hi Skeek
What about Lemon !!

SHE WORE LEMON

This may be a contrast to the others - an unusual juxterposition compared to the other works in seriousness and style, giving a lift overall. I see a women in a vibrant lemon dress, Cezanne looking perhaps. The rest sounds great.

Do I sound like a teacher - well guess what !

-------------
and on the eighth day God created U2

Oh, well Skeek, guess what. We didnt end up going to the cottage this weekend. So. If you want me to try and figure out anything for your project, just gimmie a shout. Obviously you need suggestions for bad, but I have no idea whatsoever at this point...

BTW... I saw you drawing that thursday night, what the fuck is it?? LOL

it's bullet the blue sky.. and it makes less and less sense each time i look at it.

less sense..more art
I think youre doing a brill job so far skeekboy.
Keep going with the RTSS one.
Ive already told u I love the Steets piece, actually I really like your original sketch. Its funky!

humph
runningtostandstill.jpg

well.. i have a HELL of a lot of work to do tomorrow..

right now i'm thinking there's something wrong with the figure in the centre (beyond the mannish body and the feminine face). maybe i should outline it in pen like the eyes? or maybe the dark tendrils and the figure are just too dark and should be lightened up to contrast with the eyes and be more of a background. what do you think?

I just finished this sketch of bullet the blue sky.. I don't really like it.. I like the concept, but this definately needs a whole lot of something to make it better. now i just have to figure out what that something is.

bullet.jpg

>I just finished this sketch of bullet the blue sky.. I don't really like it.. I like the concept, but this definately needs a whole lot of something to make it better. now i just have to figure out what that something is.<

I like this composition alot but where's the "cool no worries" man playing the saxophone at? You can't leave out the jazz man! Actually I'm thinking if you put that passive figure in there it would provide a good contrast with the guys you have being pelted to their firey deaths. Sort of defying the wrath of the blue sky amid the chaos.

Now get cracken - more drawing and less interference
biggrin.gif
BTW, when is your deadline?

Originally posted by Calvin N. Hobbes:
[BNow get cracken - more drawing and less interference
biggrin.gif
BTW, when is your deadline?[/B]

Tomorrow. and i have 4 more sketches to do. lovely.

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Tomorrow. and i have 4 more sketches to do. lovely.

Well if only your comps are due, then you should be able to manage it. If your like me, last minute inspiration is liable to hit you - after all you wont have much of a choice. But if you have to paint all these by tomorrow - then I'd like to know what you want written for your eulogy.

And now for everyone who thought any of my other sketches was crappy.. the crowning jewel of the artist not being satisfied with his work. but don't worry I'm sure there will be more to follow.

BAD
bad.jpg

just some random thoughts, Skeek..
overall, your ideas seem really strong and interesting......

for Streets~ this one's possibly my fave.. possibly have the 'new frame' in red..as a reference to the screens in the concerts and because red is a colour that represents blood (therefore life) and vitality

for Wake Up Dead Man~ possibly reinforce the idea of confusion by doing something with question marks, maybe as a background..

for Bad~ you could somehow work a 'lifeline' of sorts into it..depicting it thru anything you want..if you did do something with that though, I'd work it into your idea somehow

I really like the idea for Walk to the Water

for Stay~ I always saw this song as someone who's in an abusive relationship being called away by another man who wants her to make better of her life. those specific lines have always made me think of a prostitute dressed up for 'work', someone who wants to get out and make better with their life but can't go anywhere (wheels are turning but you're upside down)
you could use that interpretation to create an idea if you'd like

Running to Standstill~ one of my fave songs. I like your idea of incorporating all the images from the song..possibly you'd like to make it more abstract (I would in this situation). I've always felt that this song was a strong story of a suicidal person, I don't know if you'd like to use that view

I think your idea for So Cruel is awesome, especially with the lyrics in the background

A Sort of Homecoming~ you could do a Japanese-style painting of mangled people wandering like ghosts among the dead at Hiroshima in drab colours..the rebuilding, I'm not sure how to work that in...perhaps have a poignant, focused picture of a child (youth, rebirth) fixing, creating something amid the ruins. maybe that's all too literal for you

for In A Little While, I'd work with the lines: "a man dreams one day to fly/ a man takes a rocket ship into the sky/ he lives on a star that's dying in the night/ and follows in the trail, the scatter of light"

for Bullet the Blue Sky~ you could have a gun in Red White and Blue shooting a blue sky and tearing a bloody hole in it, in which you could paint something that shows the results of corrupt US foreign policy.
you could also work with the lines "you plant a demon seed, you raise a flower of fire"
there's really so much taht can be encompassed in that song

for Mother's of the Disappeared~ you could have old, wrinkled hands clasped in a praying position against a grey background with the lyrics you wrote superimposed over the whole thing. just an idea..

~~~~~
hope these helped a bit, Skeeker, it's difficult for me to be constructively critical without coming up with my own ideas, but I think yours are wonderful, you're definitely on the right track. good luck and hope this isn't too late
smile.gif

------------------
but for the grace of love I'd will the meaning of heaven from above...

btw, I did not read the evolution of your ideas before I posted that. some of them have come along wonderfully and my suggestions really make no sense hehe

*is way pressed for time herself*

------------------

Sometime next week, can you get me my sketch for trip back? I need to keep it for future reference, perhaps someday when I can buy some art talent, Ill paint it myself. Assuming of course you didnt put the piece of trash in the garbage by then.

I love the Please picture. But my favorite is still the screaming flower. So cool!

Keep us posted on how its going. I love checking out this thread for new sketches.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

All the prep sketches are done and handed in now. I have one for Stay (based on truecolours' idea.. thank you SO much although it could use a LOT more work) and one for Mothers of the Disappeared (basically just two dark soldiers leading away a young man.. it's a little abstract in texture). I won't be able to scan these for a while.. however long it takes for the teacher to mark them.. because as much as I love you wonderful folks, my first priority after I finished Stay rather late.. was to get to bed (3 o'clock in the morning, it's quiet and there's no one around... would have been perfect if I'd finished half an hour sooner).

Thanks so much to everyone who lent ideas and support, I am very greatful. We start the final paintings in class somewhere around three weeks from now, not totally sure. I'll definately post what the finished works look like, and possibly some of them in progress.

I adore the BTBS one and the RTSS one

fabulous Skeek

------------------

I got my prep sketches back from the teacher... I got 97% on them, which isn't perfect but I suppose I can live with it.

I scanned in my sketch for mothers of the disappeared finally for you all to see. We start painting in class next tuesday, and the show is in january.

anyway, here's mothers of the disappeared:

motd.jpg

Midnight. Our sons and daughters were cut down and taken from us. Hear their heartbeat.

I'm gonna be changing a lot of the works significantly when I actually paint them.
I think I will add a young girl with witha sign saying please in front of the 2 sillhouettes (just like in the video) for Please
In Streets I will make a dustcloud actively trying to trap the guy.
RTSS will be pretty much the same, just hopefuilly the girl will look less like a man with long hair (i guess that's what happens when you trace a picture of Bono and expect it to look feminine.. i really wish i could draw people).
Bad needs some work, I'm thinking about changing the colours a bit and changing the composition slightly, adding some movement, more reaching perhaps on the kids part.. and again making the woman look more like a woman.
I like the raw style of Mothers of the Disappeared, but when I scanned it in, it seemed more effective when i was zoomed in so i could see less of the soldiers bottom half and less of the right empty side; someone in my class recommended long grass, i'll need to think on that.
Bullet the Blue Sky, i can keep the basic idea, but I'm not sure I like the colours at all, and I should put some reference to money in there. The red and white bars look sort of dumb, and I need to have more sillhouetted people.

Comments and suggestions, are as always quite welcome.

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 11-14-2001).]

Wake up damnit! But then again, who am I to talk?

zzzZzzZZZzZZzZzzzzZzz

Skeek!
I been waitin and waitin for you to update us! "97%" -- you'll "Live with it"??? Is 100% so easily achieved? Congrats. It occurs to me as I read through your comments that I probably haven't seen them *all* -- seems usually one or two turn into the little tiny box-with-an-x. But I know they're all in here, and I'll look at each of them, with your thoughts. 'Cause I think you're doing such an awesome thing... with heart AND brains!

Of course we care, ya doofus.
wink.gif
"Might as well go fer it!" (Lotta emotion there, young mayn...)

blessings,
Deb D

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Hey Deb! Thanks for the kind words. I don't know what's up with the red Xs, if you press refresh on the page they should come up eventually.

And you of course deserve great thanks because I loved your idea for Stay so much. I did a prep sketch of it, but it was the last one I did and it didn't turn out very well. I think I will include it with my show, though... I just need to think of more things to clutter up the background. the only good think i came up with on my prep sketch was a tv.

Now I'm tempted to add the capitalist element more directly into Bullet the Blue Sky, in the form of a big businessman taking it easy while everything goes to hell... peeling off those dollar bills, slapping 'em down.

BTW, where in Canada are you from?

Back
Top Bottom