I'm still trying to get into Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About 6 minutes and 31 seconds. Or, the time it took to listen to the song once. :heart:

I have the opposite problem...I LOVE the first minute or so and then feel like it trails off. But, I guess that's why it's a B-side. Maybe they'll go back and finish it off or whatever. I do like it though, I just like the beginning better than the end :D

At first I was like, "yeah this is a good song" but after like 10 or so listens, it is a VERY good song and it sohuld have been on this album but maybe and hopefully the next album. Like Aardvark747 said, around 5:16 or so when Edge plays that little guitar part, that's what made me love the song more! :edge:

I REALLY liked the beginning, the verses are bloody fantastic! Great lyrics and rythmn...and after the first few listens thought I'd found a new favourite...

But after a few more, I realised the whole 'ripping the stiches' bit and the chorus were too bland for me and very predictable! :( It's been the case with a lot of recent U2 sadly, and Bono's singing is WAY off in the last minute or two!! I remember I had the radio on full blast at the top of a hill I like to visit every now and again in the summer, quite simply to watch the sun go down and that bit with Bono's really bad singing was blaring out as someone walking their dog went by...my ONLY 'ashamed of U2 moment' in my WHOLE LIFE! :(

It's still a fantastic song in parts, but thankfully I managed to take off my rose tinted spectacles after hearing so much HYPE and didn't con myself into thinking it was the best thing since 'Acrobat' :wink:, and hopefully they'll make this a TON better for the next record!

Last edited:
blahblahblah said:
It's still a fantastic song in parts, but thankfully I managed to take off my rose tinted spectacles after hearing so much HYPE and didn't con myself into thinking it was the best thing since 'Acrobat' :wink:, and hopefully they'll make this a TON better for the next record!

Best song since Acrobat? Man, the best song since Acrobat was Love is Blindness. :wink:

Kidding, of course. Acrobat's an awesome song. And so is Mercy. :rockon:

Man, I must be the only one on this site who isn't obsessed with this song. I like it, but I think it's sort of meandering. :shrug:

It sounds like the Who..I like it. It's not a great "song," an it's a bit messy, but it's got soul.

I would also like to add that it was a good idea to leave it off the album. It would've stuck out like a sore thumb..it just doesn't fir.

but it's good.

The reason I like Mercy is that it is something NEW and EXCITING.

U2 haven't given us this feeling since HMTMKMKM, in my opinion.

madonna's child said:
Man, I must be the only one on this site who isn't obsessed with this song. I like it, but I think it's sort of meandering. :shrug:

No you're not there's definitely people around that don't like it much. I don't know why I like it so much, it's in my top 5. :der:

Last edited:
Sanchez said:
Like Aardvark747 said, around 5:16 or so when Edge plays that little guitar part, that's what made me love the song more! :edge:

:up: Good to know I aint the only one who's a fan of those brief few seconds!! Seriously, I skip it back each time I listen to the song, and hear that part several times! It's just TOO damn good yet at the same time, TOO damn SHORT!!

:wink:

neutral said:
No you're not there's definitely people around that don't like it much.
Yeah; Mullen4Prez, you might not "get into" it. I certainly haven't. The leaked version is most likely an unfinished throwaway, after all. Don't worry about it.

Last edited:
Zoocoustic said:
The reason I like Mercy is that it is something NEW and EXCITING.

I couldn't agree more and I like the fact that it's so long. I have posted this on another Mercy-thread, but I'll say it again, lol, feels to me like they are jamming this song, kind of improvising and drifting on the feel of the song. I think it's very special.

Mercy - it has the potential to be a classic - some great lyrics and a real sense of hurt passion in some of Bono's singing.
Edge is on fire with some of his guitar!

A bit of attention to the structure and this WILL be brilliant!

"It's no secret that ambition bites the nails of success!"

Back
Top Bottom