I'm really relieved about the album title now.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
When I first heard the title "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" I thought "Oh no... oh great this album is going to be extremely political". Well latelt the reports of it being an extremely personal album have got me really excited!! I think all of U2's best songs are very personal as opposed to very political (Achtung Baby for example). I'm even starting to like the album title alot better now that I know it'll be a very personal album.

Come on U2 I know you can give us another very personal album.

I like the more personal U2 better, as well. I really connect with those ideas and themes. And it gives me new ways of looking at things.

its not only how personal they are that makes the songs better, but how metaphorical bono's lyrics are and how experimental each album gets as it progresses. if we heard 3 more JT's after the original JT, many of us wouldnt be here now. Their thirst for artistry (not simply profit) and depth in consciousness makes them better, thus making us better too :yes:

later,
mofo82

seems to me that the line between political and personal these days is blurred like never before.

p.s. excellent album title.

JOFO said:
seems to me that the line between political and personal these days is blurred like never before.

p.s. excellent album title.

I JUST HAD A REVELATION

building off what you just said JOFO, i see where the title can explain this is exactly how Bono feels. Imagine Bono 25 years ago- i bet he never thought he'd be a full time rock star/ humanitarian. U2's music has crossed so many lines and takes on so many meanings that it can be hard to follow- a dizzying, blurred line (I'm making the connection to Vertigo here :wink:)

The band, bono in particular, has really brought two different worlds together. Through his work, Bono has examined his loves, lives, and motives, the mysteries and unanswered questions, breaking things apart, analyzing and dismantling the complications that are his life and the lives surrounding him...taking the givens in life and breaking them up to see why things are the way they are instead of accepting situations as they are set up for you....

So, yeah good title :yes:

That wasn't too deep

Later,
mofo82

Axver said:
The more political U2 are, the better.

If "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Pride" and "One" have taught you anything, it's that U2 combine political and personal issues to make great music. For example, "One" has the appearance of being a traditional love song, but underlying this front is a message that demonstrates the negative consequences of AIDS on people's lives, particularly those in intimate relationships. How the various videos for "One" portray the song’s multiple meanings are beautiful. The video with Bono and the woman presents the more obvious meaning of the song to watchers, while the video with U2 dressed as women and the symbolic crashing of the cars that represent men and women presents the principal AIDS theme. The final video, featuring wild bulls who are running peacefully together until they fall off the edge of a cliff, captures both meanings together. In all relationships, a climatic and irreversible end is possible. People must seize the present and at that same moment work towards strengthening their relationships with one another. If they don't, pain and suffering are only inevitable.

I speculate that U2 will offer the solution of working on personal issues, such as reinstating trust among people and broadening personal relationships, to combat the growing political turmoil in today's world. The answer to, “How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb” is quite simple, talk to it.

Last edited:
U2 knows what they're doing...the title will totally make sense as soon as we hear it all. I think it's great from my own little pithy interpretation of what it could mean...it'll be that much better when it all comes together nov. 23rd.

ooh, i like that analysis very much mofo82!

and I feel like I hear it in vertigo, which I can't stop thinking is a lot about bono on the stage doing the rockstar thing *and* working the politics at the same time...like we're in bono's head and it's dizzying but he's working it out with love...

I like U2 when they're personal and when they're political, but I think their lyrics are most inspired when it's personal...like AB!

I keep rolling over that comment of bono's that this recording is all about his father and the political and the personal intersect really well vis a vis the father/son deal. You know, authority and society and making men of boys and force and yielding and family dynamics and all that...if HTDAAB packs in some great dual-feel personal-political (and of course there's always that spiritual father/son aspect) I'll be crying with joy! It'll be really really charged and gorgeous and maybe even revelational to this woman trying to understand men (as I felt AB was...)..

here's hoping!
cheers...

If you read "The Observer Profile: Pro Bono" at http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3519 you'll find out that "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" is about big emotional issues.

Already, those in the know are calling the new album U2's masterpiece. It is a highly charged affair, full of guitar-driven songs about big emotional, rather than political, issues, and foreshadowed by the death of Bono's father, Robert Hewson, in 2001. The title song, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," is actually an ode to his late father, who was a strong and forceful presence in his son's life. "I should have called it How to Dismantle the Atomic Bob," he quipped recently.

All I can say is that I'm already in love with the new album.

Back
Top Bottom