I'm Quarantined!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*Ally*

New Yorker
I'm at work in Manhattan's Wall Street area in a big highrise building, and they're not letting any people leave the building. There's a "suspicious package" on the 7th floor that the Fire Dept./Police are checking out...
I'm sure it's just a false alarm, but this is like the fucking twilight zone!

Originally posted by *Ally*:
I'm at work in Manhattan's Wall Street area in a big highrise building, and they're not letting any people leave the building. There's a "suspicious package" on the 7th floor that the Fire Dept./Police are checking out...
I'm sure it's just a false alarm, but this is like the fucking twilight zone!

As if New York doesn't have enough going on! Sheesh!!

------------------

"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

When you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit, you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it --- Summer Rain

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

Is this unreal? No, it was unreal before 9-11. Now its become a reality...

CK's hoping the mysterious package is just U2 Lemons!!

CK

------------------
MSG: I will give you 2 GA's for 2 GC's!! Email or IM me or respond to the multiple threads I have concerning this. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77

Are you serious????

I am on Wall Street to in a high rise just east of B'way!!!

What building are you in?

(I am in 14 Wall Street across from the Exchange...)

I work at 1 Battery Park Plaza (on Whitehall STreet)- just South of the beginning of Broadway, and right next to Battery Park.

Shit, The fire dept. just came on the loudspeakers. Said that someone in the building opened a suspicious package and then became ill... They're not evacuating the building- said that we should all just stay where we are.

this is a nightmare.
frown.gif

unreal, gives credence to the FBI warning yesterday... also good to see at least that local authorities are following their advice and are being "on the highest level of alert."

be safe ally.

Originally posted by *Ally*:
I work at 1 Battery Park Plaza (on Whitehall STreet)- just South of the beginning of Broadway, and right next to Battery Park.

Shit, The fire dept. just came on the loudspeakers. Said that someone in the building opened a suspicious package and then became ill... They're not evacuating the building- said that we should all just stay where we are.

this is a nightmare.
frown.gif

eek.gif

Ally,

Let us know what happens (if you are evacuated or not etc...)

Working down here is beginning to be VERY stressful...

i'm kinda scared. i'll let you guys know what's going on once i find out. they're still not letting us leave.

i *hope* this really is nothing...
frown.gif

Don't be scared Ally, most of the time these things turn out to be nothing. I saw the helicopters too, but I think they are really just police, news etc. taking shots of the sight.

Stay calm...

Ally,
I'm sure everything will be alright. It is natural for fire and police officials to respond in an extreme way under the circumstances since the eleventh. Just spend your time looking at hot guys in PLEBA! That will distract you!
wink.gif

*hugs*
I'm thinking of ya!
-Blueeyes

YAY! it's over- the police gave us an all clear! i am no longer quarantined! woohoo!!!

Thank you all for taking the time to make me feel better- your words really helped.
smile.gif
I guess that this is just the way things are gonna be for a while, but we'll all get through it together. Be safe, everyone!

U2@NYC: Don't leave New York! it's still the greatest city in the world.
smile.gif

Sharky, ouizy, et al.: Yes, it is crazy that there are so many interferencers in the Financial District! we should all meet for lunch someday. thanks again, guys!
smile.gif

NYC feels like a war zone right now. As in, anything can happen at any given time.

When people go to work here, there is a bad feeling of, "what the hell is going to happen today..?"

Stay strong and be careful. That is all we can do.

AJ

--

"In New York you can forget, forget how to sit still, tell yourself you will stay in, but it's down to Alphaville..."

I hope everything turns out okay...
frown.gif

------------------
"But you take what you can get,
Cuz it's all that you can find,
But you know there's something more,
Tonight, tonight, tonight...

Stay safe, everyone...
frown.gif

My stomach is turning as I read all of this. It makes me sick to know that humans (OK, these aren't humans at all who are doing all of this) can do this to one another.

I got a call just now at work, and the customer said offhandedly "Afghanistan shot down another plane." ??????? I hope he was confused, and that nothing has happened.
frown.gif

Shit-why the hell do I have to be flying this weekend?

Goddamn asshole terrorists!
mad.gif

------------------
I know your garden's full
But is there sweetness at all?

~*April*~
(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

*~The Official POP_Whore of Interference~*

Thanks for your support, everyone- I really appreciate it. Well, after talking to my friends and coworkers, I am calmer. They've been having false alarms all over the city today, and I'm sure this is the same thing. We're still not allowed to go anywhere- the Fire Dept. removed the package, and now they're waiting for the Dept. of Health to check things out. I'll let you all know when it's over...

I have a feeling that this is how life in NYC (and the rest of the country) is going to be for a while. it's pretty terrifying, so I guess in that respect the terrorists have accomplished their goal.

Thanks again for your support, everyone!
smile.gif

Blech! dude, to the terrorists out there-- you already hit the financial district. I know, I was there. Try to be more creative and send weird mail somewhere else like Britney Spear's house.

And BTW, I can't believe there are so many of us that work in the financial district. Hang in there, Ally!

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

maybe the following news story is why you are Quarantined:

NBC Employee Tests Positive for Anthrax in New York

By LARRY McSHANE
.c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (Oct. 12) - An NBC News employee was infected with the skin form of anthrax after the network received mail containing a suspicious powder, authorities said Friday.

The anthrax is not the inhaled form of the disease, which killed a Florida man a week ago. The NBC employee has a less-serious skin infection and is expected to recover, the network said.

Barry Mawn, head of the FBI office in New York, said authorities ''see no connection whatsoever'' to the Sept. 11 attack on the World Trade Center. The FBI is checking to see if there is a link to the Florida case, but ''preliminarily I do not see that,'' Mawn said.

The FBI has begun a criminal investigation to find the source of the anthrax in the New York case, Attorney General John Ashcroft said in Washington. A separate investigation is under way in Florida, he said.

Ashcroft said the letter to NBC postmarked Sept. 25 ''may have transmitted the anthrax'' and was being investigated.

NBC said a test result confirming the infection at its Rockefeller Center headquarters came back Friday morning. The infected woman is an assistant to anchorman Tom Brokaw, network officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The skin and inhaled forms of anthrax are caused by the same bacterium. The only difference is whether the microscopic anthrax spores enter the skin through a cut or if there are enough anthrax spores to be inhaled and thus cause infection through the lungs. It takes inhaling more than 8,000 spores to cause the inhalation form of anthrax.

Neither form can be spread directly from person to person.

The first symptoms of skin - or cutaneous - anthrax are reddish-black sores on the exposed skin. If the disease is caught at that point and treated with antibiotics it is easily cured. Even without treatment, cutaneous anthrax is fatal in only one case out of four.

Officials advised people not to open or even shake any suspicious mail. Instead, they should leave it alone and contact authorities.

In Washington, President Bush said the case ''has got to cause concern for our nation but I want everybody in the country to know we're responding rapidly.''

''Our nation is still in danger but the government is doing everything on our power to protect our citizenry,'' he said during a White House event celebrating Hispanic heritage.

''The American people need to go about their lives. We cannot let terrorists lock our country down,'' he said. ''They will not take this country down.''

At a news conference in New York, Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said tests would be done at the NBC offices. The third floor and one or two other parts of the 70-story GE Building at 30 Rockefeller Center were sealed off for federal health investigators. Those areas of the building were cleared of employees.

''Living in New York and working in this building for this company, you're already on edge,'' said Brian Rolapp, 29, business development manager for NBC who works on 25th floor. ''But I think everyone is a little startled that it's this close to home. If it escalates we'll have more reasons to be worried.''

The infected woman has been treated with the antibiotic Cipro since Oct. 1, officials said.

Brokaw, who attended the hastily called news conference, rubbed his eyes, wiped his brow and did not speak except when asked if the woman was his secretary. ''She an employee of 'Nightly News,''' Brokaw replied.

The mayor said all employees exposed to the powder will be tested for anthrax and treated with Cipro.

''People should not overreact to this,'' Giuliani said. ''Much of this is being done to allay people's fears.''

The mayor also said The New York Times had received a letter containing a powdery substance at its West 43rd Street headquarters near Times Square. He said the substance was being tested.

Times spokeswoman Kathy Park confirmed the unspecified threat at the office. ''No one has been hurt or (is) under immediate danger,'' she said.

The newspaper's third-floor newsroom was emptied, with employees told to move elsewhere in the building. The street outside the Times' offices was closed.

The GE Building in midtown Manhattan, in addition to being the headquarters for NBC, is home to ''Saturday Night Live'' and ''Late Night With Conan O'Brien.'' Crowds milled around the front of the building and barricades were put up Friday, but no streets were closed.

The Associated Press, located across the street, temporarily closed its mailroom operations. CBS also said it has shut down its New York mailroom as a precaution and is not accepting any new mail. ABC said it halted all internal mail delivery in New York and Washington pending a security evaluation

After receiving the mail last month, NBC said it immediately contacted the FBI, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the New York Department of Health.

''The mail was tested by these organizations, and the employee was treated by several physicians. All these tests came back negative,'' NBC said Friday. ''However, this morning, a later test on the employee came back positive for traces of cutaneous anthrax.''

NBC's disclosure comes a week after a photo editor for The Sun supermarket tabloid in Boca Raton, Fla., died of the more serious inhaled form of anthrax. The American Media Inc. building where several supermarket tabloids are published was sealed off after anthrax was found on the keyboard of the editor, Bob Stevens, 63.

Traces of anthrax were later found in the mailroom where two other American Media workers worked, a law enforcement official said Thursday. Both tested positive for exposure to anthrax, but neither developed the disease. Both are taking antibiotics and one has returned to work.

Investigators searching for the source tested 15 clerks who worked in the South Florida post office that handled American Media's mail, a union official said.

National Enquirer editor Steve Coz said he thought the infection at his building was a bioterrorist attack.

''The working theory we have right now is that a letter came into American Media. It came into the mail room, it arrived on Bob Stevens' desk,'' Coz said Friday on ABC's ''Good Morning America.''

''Somebody else opened that letter. Unfortunately for Bob Stevens, he was handed the letter and Bob Stevens is farsighted. He then brought the letter up to his eyes so he could see it. The theory is that that's when he got the inhalation of anthrax.''

Ally, try to relax, I realize this is not easy, but keep it together and you'll get out of this thing alright. I'm sure everyone is on a heightened state of alert with what's happened at the NBC building. I've got you in my prayers right now, and I'm sure you'll be alright.

Thanks Reggie- I really appreciate it.
smile.gif

I'm very calm right now- I'm sure it's fine. Still waiting for the Dept. of Health to check things out.

This is an email that was sent out by someone in my firm- it made me feel better:

I just spoke with the Building and they have informed me that there is no need to panic, the situation is under control. A package was opened by someone on the 3rd floor and became ill. They are taking the necessary precautions testing the contents of the package and have closed the building. This is normal operating procedure in events like these. Currently, they have removed the package from the building and are awaiting the Health Department so they can inspect the premises before allowing people to move about the building. Keep in mind these are the necessary precautions that must be taken in any circumstance like this even if it can be a false alarm.

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:

I got a call just now at work, and the customer said offhandedly "Afghanistan shot down another plane." ??????? I hope he was confused, and that nothing has happened.
frown.gif

Im sure they're confused. There has been no news of "another plane being shot down" and the use of the phrase "another plane" is false in that there haven't been ANY planes shot down.

aaron

Jesse-- the GE building is too far away from Ally in Lower Manhattan to be the same thing.

It seems that these are being sent to media outlets-- possibly an attack on our "Freedom of the press" by terrorists. So people other places may be getting paranoid when they don't need to be. But we can't be too cautious at this point.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

I don't know... I am getting tired of all this paranoia. I am actually having strong thoughts about quitting my job and going back home to Argentina... I mean, no place is completele safe but if I can 'buy' some peace of mind I will take it.

Don't know... everything is a mess.

Originally posted by the_rehearsal:
Im sure they're confused. There has been no news of "another plane being shot down" and the use of the phrase "another plane" is false in that there haven't been ANY planes shot down.

aaron

*whew* I almost lost my lunch there when I heard him say that, but now I feel better. Well...almost.

*sigh*

Back
Top Bottom