I'm loosing my U2 and I don't want to!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salim117

The Fly
Before the release of HTDAAB I was as hyped as ever for a new U2 album. Was it gonna be a full out guitar album or some strange new beautiful sounds my ears had never experienced! Didn't matter, after their "shawk and Awe" campaign of the '90s followed by the 180 of ATYCLB, I knew I would be surprised.
Then came "Vertigo" followed buy the onslought of Ipod Hello-Hellos! U2 semi-selling out? Nah, can't be!:ohmy:
Then alas, the album came out. Sorry meant Albums (3), where my awesome special edition had no lyrics! Was I pissed...yea but I still bought the normal cd for the lyrics and gave the cd to my brother!
So it took me a week or so to digest the album , but when I did I fell in love with it!:drool:
listened to pretty much nothing else but HTDAAB for a month straight! And with no skipping , liked/loved it from start to finish. Aha! My favorite band ever had not disappointed!:rockon:

THEN i heard a friend talk about this great band called Interpol. He thought I'd like them 'cause their guitarist sounded like the Edge unleashed! I liked them so I bought their 2nd album. I loved it so I bought their 1st album. I was hooked and remeber thinking how I hadn't been so overwellmed by an album since Achtung. I listened to nothing but Interpol non stop for weeks. One day I decided to listen to HTDAAB since I felt I had been neglecting it and then it happened...
Nothing. It seemed I had gone from inovative and exciting to same 'ole same 'ole. I felt weird! What's happening? I loved this album, but now it paled in comparison.:sad:
Is U2 now no longer my favorite band? Nah. Then, on March 18th, the day before U2 tickets went on sale here in Miami, I went to the Interpol concert (paid $23 bucks for my ticket) and was blown away to the point where I didn't feel like paying $160 for U2 tickets! Long story short, I bought tickets to both shows!:p (I wasn't gonna let "temporary" insanity force me to do something I knew I would regret!). Anyways, it was then that I realized that (i can't believe I'm gonna say this) U2 was no longer my favorite band in the world.:censored:

I have not listened to HTDAAB more than once or twice in the last 5 months. I have been listening to other bands like The Shins,The Strokes, & The Arcade Fire:)up: ). The only albums from U2 that I have felt like listening to lately are AB and Zooropa(strangely enough).
I'm not as excited about the concert as I should be though I always check the setlist from the previous night's shows fist thing next morning! :wink:
To summarize, I MISS HOW U2's MUSIC USED TO MAKE ME FEEL! I MISS IT AND I WANT THAT FEELING BACK ASAP 'cause I feel like I'm drifting, drifting, drifting from THEIR shore!
:sad:

Salim

Last edited:
when i feel like i'm drifting from U2 for other bands, i rejuvenate myself by watching their dvd's from beginning to the end.

slane dvd seems to hit the spot best. :wink:
hope i was of some assistance :)

I guess it's your own opinion of how you're feeling ... :confused:
An opinion I could NEVER share with you !! :no:
Maybe you should ask yourself ... Why would you LET that happen ?? :(

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with finding another band or bands suit you better. It's hard realising that the music that used to move you so much doesn't really do it anymore, but there will probably be times you will still quite enjoy it.

I used to think no band could ever be better than U2 either, but that changed for me and now I like several bands better.

And there are only a few people out to burn me at the stake for blasphemy. :wink:

MsMofoGone said:
I guess it's your own opinion of how you're feeling ... :confused:
An opinion I could NEVER share with you !! :no:
Maybe you should ask yourself ... Why would you LET that happen ?? :(

It wasn't a choice. I didn't let it happen!:grumpy: It's just my current state. Hopefuly its a passing "thing".

salim117 said:
I'm loosing my U2 and I don't want to!
It's called broadening your musical horizons, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I used to listen almost exclusively to U2, now I like stuff from Elvis Costello (most played artist) to the Arcade Fire, Morisonney, Chet Atkins, anything.

If you like Interpol, you should definately check out Joy Division. They rule. :up:

Oh, and there's nothing wrong about liking other bands. U2, while definately one of my favorite bands, isn't my favorite.

I still love them unbelievably, though. :drool:

And every band I now like better has much lower concert ticket prices too. :D

this may sound REALLY weird...BUT...take a copy of the Joshua Tree, CD/tape player, and a pair of REALLY good headphones and take them to a REALLY nice part of your town/city in the evening on a sunny day! You can't beat a nice warm evening when everything's going Orange. It'll change your life, trust me.

KhanadaRhodes said:
not everyone has to be completely bonkers over U2. :|
Trying to keep up with the conversations. :yikes: :giggle:

I'm getting the distinct feeling that the smilies bother some mods. Why are we allowed to use them if they're taken so seriously and personally? :eyebrow: :wink:

I listen to tons of music and Love a lot of different stuff, but U2 has always had something extra for me I can't really put into words. I don't think that will ever change. :hug:

blahblahblah said:
this may sound REALLY weird...BUT...take a copy of the Joshua Tree, CD/tape player, and a pair of REALLY good headphones and take them to a REALLY nice part of your town/city in the evening on a sunny day! You can't beat a nice warm evening when everything's going Orange. It'll change your life, trust me.

THIS is so true!

Joshua Tree in my truck while driving around in Las Vegas......priceless.
Last time I did this, ISHFWILF was playing in my CD player and I got several tumbs out while driving on the strip, around sunset time......

kakvox said:
I listen to tons of music and Love a lot of different stuff, but U2 has always had something extra for me I can't really put into words. I don't think that will ever change. :hug:
My sentiments, exactly! :applaud:

BONO'ppetit said:

I'm getting the distinct feeling that the smilies bother some mods. Why are we allowed to use them if they're taken so seriously and personally? :eyebrow: :wink:

Perhaps your smilie privileges will be yanked. :wink: :D

Oh, and salim -- you might want to check out the Just the Bang & Clatter section. It's for music other than U2 and you will find a lot of people who like other bands there.

Perhaps your smilie privileges will be yanked.
Why's that?
scratch_head.gif

BONO'ppetit said:
Why's that?
scratch_head.gif

Just because they can.

Actually, I don't know if they can or not. But it was fun to make you wonder. A little paranoia can be a good thing. Keeps one from getting cocky. :D

Salim, I don't know your age or musical background, but I'm 27 and my musical tastes have grown ALOT since my teen years. Classical, jazz, reggae, gospel, and world music would not have been found in my CD player when I was 17. U2 wouldn't have been found there either. The bands I liked then still give me a spark (AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Pearl Jam), but I tend to pull those cd's out only a few times each year. Since I entered college, I've found 4 bands that have stood out among the rest: U2, Pink Floyd, The Beatles (I wasn't raised on them), and Genesis (including all the solo careers). It literally took me an entire year to fully absorb each of those bands, since they have pretty extensive catalogs. My U2 year would have been 1997, and I discovered Floyd, Genesis, and The Beatles after that. I never really felt like I had to keep any particular band as my #1, I actually went through long stretches (at least 6 months) without listening to any U2. After discovering Yes, King Crimson and classical music, I can remember looking at my U2 cd's and thinking they don't have as much talent as I used to think they did. Now I look at my U2 cd's with unadulterated awe (and drool running down my chin). So I find it normal to leave and then come back to your favorite bands. Right now, Interpol and Arcade Fire (I like HTDAAB better) are very fresh and vibrant to you. If you took a year off from U2, believe me, they would sound fresh and vibrant to you again. Or you could just do what blah suggested and listen to JT as the sun is going down. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom