I'm a little worried about the recent rumor news - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2002, 04:04 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 11:10 AM
I'm a little worried about the recent rumor news

After reading all of the recent "rumor" threads, there seems to be one constant; U2 is rushing to finish an album.

Love Pop or not, I think it's safe to say that if U2 had more time to correctly finish the album, everybody would have been happier. Also, I remember Bono saying something about how he would never rush to finish an album again.

I want new material as much as the next person, but if an earlier release is at the expense of the completely developed material we all desire, well, I'd just rather wait.

Discuss!

Old 07-26-2002, 04:18 PM   #2
War Child

This is all very true, but also the band may feel pressure to stay afloat a-top the music industry popularity contest. They probably don't want to fade out of the picture just yet. They have lit an enormous fire and its important for them to keep it burning. But also, they don't want to produce crap which could backfire on them. Its a tough choice. But they're good enough to achieve the task at hand.

Old 07-26-2002, 04:35 PM   #3
POP for GIRLS

Local Time: 06:10 AM

You know that's exactly what my son just told me not an hour ago. I'm worried too.

I have heard a lot of bad things about people, very good people, being rushed by their record companies. I think one of the reasons ATYCLB was so good is because they took their time and it all came out right.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:17 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 05:10 AM
I may be totally wrong here, but I think that some of the songs they've had written for a long time, and they're just putting the finishing touches on them. So I don't think they're rushing to write and all...just to get the album out. I'm not really really worried. I love my boys and I have faith in them! (Not to say anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't.)

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:24 PM   #5
Refugee

Ah, it's my favorite time between albums... the rumor time! I'm sure they'll put out a great record - they seem to be taking their time and going at their own pace. They haven't been touring for nearly a year, they've taken time off to get married, go on holiday, etc., and the only rumored release dates we have are for a Best Of with one new single.

I'd be willing to bet that the next album of new material won't be released until at least the spring of 2003, and that will be a year and a half between records. Plenty of time for U2, especially a U2 that spent four years between POP and ATYCLB, and most likely has a wealth of unreleased material at this point.

POP was rushed because the band (not the label) scheduled the tour before the album was finished, and they had to hurry up and put it out so they could get on the road, which was rushed... and the first few concerts and the TV broadcast suffered for it. I doubt they will do the same again. I suspect U2 has a whole lot of leeway with their label. I mean, it's not like they have to work or anything.

Peace!
Old 07-26-2002, 05:30 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, the key here is that we don't know what the band is "rushing" to finish. By the Edge's/Bono's comments, it sounds like the record company wants something by Christmas so they are maybe rushing to put together the best of and the one or two new songs for that project, also mentioned was remixing (hopefully just a couple songs of) POP. they might be rushing to do some remixes of 90's tunes for the Best of or B-sides disc.

I agree that the new album will come in 2003. Edges comment was something like - We have tons of new songs, enough for an album, but we don't have time for that right now. -

This to me means they don't want to rush the new album, but are rushing to get out the best of and all it's parts by Christmas. (October)
Old 07-26-2002, 05:41 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 04:10 AM

I'll be happy to see (hear) anything. Like, elevatedsoul2 I've got faith in the boys.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:44 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by hotpepper
I'll be happy to see (hear) anything. Like, elevatedsoul2 I've got faith in the boys.
Me too! I'm not worried at all. At this point, I doubt that they could EVER disappoint me.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:54 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Crzy4Bono
I'd be willing to bet that the next album of new material won't be released until at least the spring of 2003, and that will be a year and a half between records. Plenty of time for U2, especially a U2 that spent four years between POP and ATYCLB, and most likely has a wealth of unreleased material at this point.

spring 2003-October 2000 is 2 1/2 years, thats plenty of time, even for U2, the longest gap they have ever had was between Zooropa and Pop, almost 4 years exactly (7-93, 3-97), but also faactor in Passengers.

Pop and ATYCLB (3-97, 10-00) 3 1/2 years, factor in Million Dollar Hotel and DATA.

There is no rush for a new album, I think the rush is to get 1. the soundtrack song 'hands that built..' 2. The 2 tracks for the Best of, all of this happening very soon.

A new album could come out in October of 2003, why would they be rushed??? I thinkt hey are rushed to get this Best Of, and other stuff done.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:40 PM   #10
Kid A

they're rushing to finish a single or two for the next "Best Of," doesnt mention any deadlines for a new studio album, I don't know why people are getting upset

I'm actually worried that everything is so calculated and they are pressured for singles for a xmas release, when it sounds like the band would rather be working on all these potential songs they have for the next studio album, but whatever, I wouldnt be worried about them rushing to finishe a new album, don't be surprised if it isn't out until late next year
Old 07-27-2002, 10:09 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
they're rushing to finish a single or two for the next "Best Of," doesnt mention any deadlines for a new studio album, I don't know why people are getting upset

I'm actually worried that everything is so calculated and they are pressured for singles for a xmas release, when it sounds like the band would rather be working on all these potential songs they have for the next studio album, but whatever, I wouldnt be worried about them rushing to finishe a new album, don't be surprised if it isn't out until late next year
This post is right on the money.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:38 PM   #12
Acrobat

i dont really mind.......i liked Pop nearly BECAUSE of its imperfections rather than Despite of them.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:42 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Are they finishing a new ALBUM or BEST OF?

BIG difference.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:32 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
Are they finishing a new ALBUM or BEST OF?

BIG difference.
Elvis methinks that they were trying to do the soudntrack song as promised to Scorcese, and then add a few new tracks to the best of, and what happened was they discovered they had an assload of material and are anxious to get the other stuff out of the way and get to working on the new album. I understand they have been working with William Orbit?? seems like I read that somewhere.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:41 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:10 AM
According to U2log.com:

July 27, 2002
Best of done | releases | vonb - 10:45 PM | (12)
More news from the studio in Dublin: On Friday, Bono - on his way to the airport - told fans that work on the "Best Of" compilation was completed that day at 6 AM.

So, if this is accurate, it looks like they finished the best of album..

Peace!
Old 08-01-2002, 10:54 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Some people have gotten freaked out over the "deadline" stuff. I think it's just to finish the new stuff for the Best of, not a studio album. I really don't think they'll repeat the Pop mistake, it was too painful.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:03 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i haven't slept in four days because of all this hullabaloogiewoogie!
Old 08-02-2002, 06:57 PM   #18
Refugee

Pop may have been rushed, but it is not the hot steaming pile of crap many think it is. Pop ROCKS!
Old 08-03-2002, 11:49 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie

Me too! I'm not worried at all. At this point, I doubt that they could EVER disappoint me.

Ditto!
Old 08-03-2002, 03:35 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not worried, either. If there's any band on the planet who can not only handle the pressure, but actually thrive on it, it's U2. Most of us aren't like that; most of us are not rock icons with a quarter-century of great work behind us, either.