I'm a little envious of "new" U2 fans - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 07:35 AM
I'm a little envious of "new" U2 fans

Because they have the joy of discovering the back catalogue ahead of them.

For all of us "old" U2 fans..... do you remember hearing Achtung Baby for the first time? I do. I remember it took a little bit of getting used to, because it was so different. Look at it now, rightfully holding top position... or do we think that HTDAAB will knock it off its No 1 spot?

Merry Christmas everyone
God Bless
imogen

Old 12-23-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 09:35 PM
I joined the U2 camp in 1991 so for me what I had to get used to was the 80's stuff.

It wasn't hard.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Looking at it that way I guess I do envy the newer fans. But you know something? The older fans have an advantage the newer ones don't. We got the chance to get to KNOW the band much better than the newer ones ever will. It's sad to know that now, unlike the early days, the band is much less accessable than before. The newer fans don't know that part of U2 like we older fans do. I'm saddened by that, though I know that in a way it's a necessity.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:35 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 05:35 AM
Whether a back catalogue album was discovered for the first time, or had been rediscovered, or was known to the fan since its release, it won't change the fact that it's genius or crap. Timing is temporary, while quality is permanent. So I don't envy the new fans.

Cheers,

J
Old 12-23-2004, 04:53 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Don't remember the Zoo days, the POP days however...talk about different camps!
Old 12-23-2004, 06:50 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:35 PM
i became a fan in 1992, and i'm pissed that i wasn't old enough to really understand music when UF and JT came out.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:52 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:35 PM
I've been a fan since boy, and I don't envy the new fans, I'm glad I've had the chance to grow up with this band. Every new album, love or (only) like it is a new experience, as is every song.

As much as I love the experience of seeing U2 live for the first time, I'm glad it was in 1985 as opposed to now. I love the idea of having the history to compare and contrast the band so far down the road.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:35 PM
I became a fan in 1991, and seeing Zoo TV live in 1992 sealed the deal.

Part of my love for this band comes from the joy of discovery. I started with Achtung Baby and worked my way backward. Every album brought new revelations, new songs to love (and some to dislike.) Sometimes I do wish I had come to love them in the 80s, but then I think I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. Working backward was very interesting...listening to the changes the band made with each album -- but in reverse -- gave me a real appreciation for the sheer courage U2 shows with each album, and the changes they make in their writing style and approach to their music.

No, I don't envy the "new" fans.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
Refugee

I still get the same joy out of listening to the same albums as I did the first time I heard them.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:09 PM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 04:35 PM
I dont think it's about envy.
I see alot of younger kids getting into them now
and I think it's great. It's like being exposed to Led Zep or
Jimi Hendrix. Every generation needs to experience that
one group that changed the music industry or broke it at that time. I know for alot of the "true" or "Hardcore" fans it's always
hard to see the newbies come along. I just think that they should be accepted and shown the history this band has made.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:32 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

No doubt dgirl. I'm glad this band attracts new fans every album. It's great, and it keeps them in the forefront and on the tips of music lover's tongues.

I have no problem with newbies, I just wouldn't trade places with them, nor do I envy them. I'm happy with the history I have. I hope new fans can feel the same passion I do for this band.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:48 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I became a U2 fan in 1997 when I listened to Pride and New Year's Day. So I bought all the 80's U2 albums then. First October, then War, then UF, then R&H, then Boy, then JT. So for me the progression was like older U2 fans. The only newer song I'd heard was HMTMKMKM.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:08 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:35 PM
I think it can cut both ways. The new fans have the back catalogue to catch up with, so that's a thrill. And the old fans (early 80's) have the thrill of knowing hearing them before they became huge. It's the "middies" I feel sorry for.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:17 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I sort of envy the newbies because they are experiencing the music for the first time and getting the same thrill I did when I was first getting into the band in 1987. But I wouldn't trade being there for the year U2 released JT and hit the stratosphere for anything!

The ones I really envy are the people who got into the band in the early '80s. They not only got to experience the early years as they were happening, but like Indra said they got to have U2 as their secret thing for a while before the rest of the world caught on.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:03 PM   #15
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:35 PM
The only thing i envy about the new U2 fans is their youth. I became a fan in 84. they were playing alot of their old stuff then because it still was considered new. I miss those days when they played for 40,000 to 50.000 people in a arena. Not a stadium and it wasn't at all close to the size of Staples Center. Merry Christmas everyone
Old 12-24-2004, 02:08 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Heh, I've always said that I hold a bit of envy for those of you who've been fans for many years, 'cause you got to experience some of the really neat events and concerts and whatnot (i.e, ZooTV, Live Aid, etc., etc.). I wish I'd been old enough to be at some of those, or witness them on TV, or whatever else. And I would have loved to see the band perform way, way back when they were just starting out or something-I think that would've been incredible.

But I definitely see what you're talking about with being a new fan-it is nice to be able to go back and discover these guys' history, 'cause history in general has always been something I've never minded learning about, and music history in particular is a big interest of mine. So to learn about the history of a band I love is always a great thing, it's been a very intriguing study (and there's still some stuff I have yet to hear or see or read).

Angela
Old 12-24-2004, 02:11 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Heh, I've always said that I hold a bit of envy for those of you who've been fans for many years, 'cause you got to experience some of the really neat events and concerts and whatnot (i.e, ZooTV, Live Aid, etc., etc.).
ditto
Old 12-24-2004, 03:32 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I dont envy the new fans at all,, Being a fan since 1991, i wouldn´t trace place with them at all.
So far i have had almost 14 years of listening to U2, and the music scene today is mostly pure crap. So i have been into quality music for awhile now, and thats COOL.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:45 AM   #19
Refugee

No envy of new fans cos they missed the band when they were releasing their best stuff......when Achtung Baby was released the excitement was on a different level than today, the band also were the coolest looking fuc#ers on the planet. Bono was definetly the coolest guy in the world back in 1992, check the old interviews for the evidence, now he's looking kinda old and talking like a politician.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:33 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 08:35 AM
I was first intoduced to u2 (not personally) by a friend who's older brother was a big fan.That was back in '87.Never did i think that i'd still be listening to them or hearing new stuff 17 years on
The release of a new album always gets me excited(not much else does these days )just like all them years ago.I'm glad i've listened to their music for so long and i am pleased,not envious,of the newbies.The've got great taste