'I'll see you when I get home, sister' = Ali ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocifer

Acrobat
'I'll see you when I get home, sister' = Ali ?

Okay. Who knows if anyone came upon this realization and posted this a long time before. But after listening to "walk on" from the Tribute to Heroes cd, I always wondered who is Bono calling out to at the end with "I'll see you when I get home, Sister"

Well. I think I figured it out.

Is Bono singing "hallelujah" or "allelujah" ? Allelujah is the name of a woman in the Salman Rushdie book - The Satanic Verses - and for short, they call her Allie. And if you listen carefully to the recording you can hear that sometimes Bono does not sing the ending of the word so he is actually "Allie ! Allie !"

Is Bono actually singing to Ali his wife ? I think it is quite possible. Anyone else think this ? That would explain the "I'll see you when I get home, sister" lines - since U2 were in London at the time.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

I have no idea if this is true, but it is possible. What a romantic notion....

at such an important event as the tribute to heroes concert, i would think bono was thinking on a broader scope then his wife. i would interpret that line as "i'll see you again when i get to heaven" a refrence to the dead.

never know, though, you may be right.

------------------
Does love light up your Christmas tree?

Happy Holidays!

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

...if God will send his angels...

Interesting.

But more importantly was that Eric Clapton playing with the band? Or was it Ringo?

------------------
~ME THREE

I live in a town where you can't smell a thing
You watch your feet for cracks in the pavement.

It was the guy from the Eurythmics! Dave Stewart, is that his name?

------------------
And so happy Xmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

Yep..Lady..
That was Dave Stewart of the Euryhtmics!..And yeah everyone was thinking it was eric clapton too at the time..or ringo..LOL

Peace

------------------
If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate

Originally posted by U2Fanatic4ever:
yeah everyone was thinking it was eric clapton too at the time..or ringo..LOL

That's exactly why I mentioned it.

Okay, I'm almost POSITIVE what "sister" means in this version of 'Walk On'. It's a reference to New York City, as Bono was in London at the time, and he does live in New York now (for parts of the year anyway). He was calling out to New York City: "I'll see you when I get home, sister!"

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Okay, I'm almost POSITIVE what "sister" means in this version of 'Walk On'.

That's a pretty strong assumption... you know the band?
wink.gif

Okay, I'm almost POSITIVE what "sister" means in this version of 'Walk On'. It's a reference to New York City, as Bono was in London at the time, and he does live in New York now (for parts of the year anyway). He was calling out to New York City: "I'll see you when I get home, sister!"

I thought the same thing. I'm still not sure if he was talking about New York or America.

------------------
THE DUCK HAS DIED

Actually, Angel, of course I know the band! I don't hang around the Slow Loris for nothing, you know.
wink.gif

As for it being America or New York, I would say New York, simply because Bono has more of a *personal* affinity with New York -- as it is not only the city in which he lives, but is also the city that was attacked.

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 12-18-2001).]

Actually, Angel, of course I know the band! I don't hang around the Slow Loris for nothing, you know.
wink.gif

I knew it!!!

MHO.....
I immediately thought of Aung San Suu Kyi when i first heard hinm say that.She is still in a bad situation in Burma.I'm so glad I taped the Tribute to Heroes concert. What a line up it was, what poignant performances! It's turning into another treasure for me. The tape now has our 2001 TAFE concert and the Kite from Boston clip on it as well now
smile.gif

I am amazed how fast the U2 stuff has sold out here this week. I went strolling in today to buy the Best of video( they had 2 left on Monday at $10) GONE
frown.gif
I shoulda oughta bought them, she who hesitates...now what do i get me bro-in-law?

Anyway Ali, Suu Kyi, New York, Dublin the rest of the world I'm not sure who he meant. He's a busy man. It's been a top year for U2. I knew they would be big one day
biggrin.gif

Peace brothers/sisters/musiclovers

PS: up until last year I always wrote Peace On Earth on my Christmas cards.My first listening of ATYCLB, my gut reaction to the song has made me rethink it. September 11 and the aftermath has deepened that feeling.Bit of a bummer that. Good luck Suu Kyi.
...flowers for her hair......

Back
Top Bottom