ill give you everything that you want except the thing that you want

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
What do you guys and gals think Bono means by this line?

I think that he is saying no matter how many things he gives to a person(s) even if its everything that they want it is never enough and they're never satisfied with what they get.

Or could it be i give you everything the you want (HTDAAB) but the thing that you want (fans not quite satisfied with the album) so they want more

okey i have it perfectly put in my head but i can't explain it properly in words LOL so i hope that popst made sense!

About a similar line in Vertigo:

"Just give me what I want and no one gets hurt".

I have actually thought about this lyric specifically. I can see how some people can see Bono's lyrics as simple or off-the-cuff remarks. This line may sound very cheesy to some. I, however, being the U2 fan that I am, as well as knowing Bono's work and faith, see it more in terms of the devil tempting Jesus. All Jesus had to do was to obey the devil and all the earthly kingdoms would be his and he would not have to suffer on the cross.

Matthew 4, verse 8-9:

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendour. "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."

"Just give me what I want and no one gets hurt".

Last edited:
i think of it terms of children. for your children- you would give them everything they would want (love, acceptance, etc) that really matters, even if they don't realize it. With kids they often don't realize it until much later in life and only focus on things that are material, but not really all that important. I know several friends that grew up very wealthy with all material things you could imagine, and hate their parents / family because they never really felt loved, and accepted.

I believe Bono was saying he'd give the world, except for the one thing that the child really wants, so then they have something to work towards?

All excellent ideas on one of the most intriguing verses from HTDAAB.:wink:

Another idea: Bono in the last year or two has made several references to Zen (Buddhism) in some of his statements.

Zen is full of interesting twists of thinking about life and probably the most important idea is the idea of nonattachment to this world.

Often we think we need something in our lives to make it better or more complete (everything that you want) just to find out that it hasn't made our lives better or more complete. (except the things that you want):ohmy:

At that point, if we are smart, we stop wanting so much and begin the process of nonattachment to the world outside our own hearts and souls. And in that process, we find that we already had EVERYTHING INSIDE US TO BRING US CONTENTMENT.

A similar thought process to "what you don't have you don't need it now". :up:

In other words, just be grateful for who you are now and for where in life you are right now - it's where and what you're supposed to be.

Hope that makes some sense.

THANK YOU, BONO, FOR GIVING US WORDS AND IDEAS TO LIVE BY....:angel:

Bono has mentioned this song references Edge's daughter and his daughter, as well as young girls growing up in general. In one interview I believe he noted young girls often want to grow up quickly, feel pressure to "act like the cool girls", look/dress a certain way and sometimes face struggles like eating disorders as a result.

I think what he means with the line is that he would give his daughter (kids in general) anything they wanted - unconditional love, friendship (maybe even material things too) - but he won't give them what many young kids want - which is to be somebody else or to be an adult. He wants them to be themselves, be the unique individual they inherently are - stay a child and enjoy childhood while it lasts - it goes by quickly.

I think this line does a pretty good job of summing up being a parent. Give your kids everything and know that they'll always want something different.

This is the lyric that took me a few moments to understand. As a parent, speaking to your child..I think it is an issue of protection. A child wants freedom, the ability to learn, and make mistakes on their own. Independence. As a parent, you want to protect, if not control, and guide your children...to keep them safe. Bono, being the parent that I know he is, wants to protect his daughters at all times...they want to break out and live...feel...and experience life. It is at the core of the parental struggle...in my mind.

Could be way off base...but that is my take...:cool:

Adam and Eve

I've always thought this song goes back and forth from a God talking perspective and then back to Bono...and so on. "I give you everything you want...except the thing that you wanted" is a reference to Adam and Eve, unsatisfied with all that was given to them and then giving into the apple thing - "except the thing that you wanted".

Then, Bono's talking back to God saying "I want the lot of what you got, and nothing that your not" and "Everywhere you go you shout it, you don't have to be shy about it (the gospel?).

Anyway, the title and lyrics, though complex, always led me to believe that the "Original of the Species" is about the "Origin of Man and Woman", and it goes back and forth between present and past tense. Thoughts?

I think these are great ideas!

I agree that this song serves as the viewpoint of a man to a child and as the viewpoint of God to mankind.

Therefore, I think that the thing that is wanted, but not given is independence. Children want uindependence form their parents and man wnats independence from God. But parents love their children too much to give them independence until they are young adults, and God loves his children too much to give them independence.

I think it relates to that no matter what you give some people, they're never going to be satisfied.

Much like us with U2 b-sides...we always want more...

I always thought it was him acknowledging that U2 are able to offer their children everything they could ever want materially, but are unable to grant them the normality of a typical father-daughter/son relationship.

Paul Vox said:
This is the lyric that took me a few moments to understand. As a parent, speaking to your child..I think it is an issue of protection. A child wants freedom, the ability to learn, and make mistakes on their own. Independence. As a parent, you want to protect, if not control, and guide your children...to keep them safe. Bono, being the parent that I know he is, wants to protect his daughters at all times...they want to break out and live...feel...and experience life. It is at the core of the parental struggle...in my mind.

Could be way off base...but that is my take...:cool:

very well said Paul Vox.

If we don't take into consideration the immense influence fatherhood has played in Bono's lyrics during the last couple of albums then we will not get most of the meaning behind many of the lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom