I'll be honest here. I'm worried about the new album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RademR said:
I played ATYCLB over and over again....uh, it wasnt there best work but it was still amazing.

Heck, I've already listened to Vertigo alone about 50 times since we've gotten the mp3, just wait until there are ten or eleven more... :drool:

jick said:

When you're in your 40's you supposed to be toast. But U2 have lingered on thanks to unsurpassed marketing, probably the best ever in the music industry.

Cant agree with you there, J..I think they have lingered on because their still the best band in the world. And I cant use the word "lingering," it doesnt seem appropriate when you sold over 10 million copies of your last album and the tour was the second largest in history.

I think one secret to U2's continued success creatively and commercially is that, like all classic bands, they have their landmark albums (JT, AB)..but they have a bunch of excellent 2nd-tier albums (ATYCLB, U. Fire, Zooropa, Pop, all 8/10s in my opinion). In other words, these are albums worth investing time in as each has about 6 or so really good songs. I would say off-peak U2 is a lot better than most other great bands when not at 100% greatness.

I look at it this way. "Neon Lights" is a B-side, cover version. I've even started to come around to this song. It's one of those relaxing, atmospheric songs that are good every once in a while.

If every song on the new album is better than this song, which should be the case, this album will be amazing.

Just a thought...

Read these snippets of past U2 album reviews, and stop worrying about some of the "bad" reviews this album has received...

"To this taste, his work is marred throughout by sobbing affectation that approaches the cliched bleating rhetoric all too familiar from American "corporate-rock" bands. One hopes this isn't a calculated ploy, along with all the songs that refer to the United States, to sell records in this country. But cynical or sincere, it's a mistake." - Joshua Tree review, NY Times

"And Ireland's favorite sons seem to have come down with a case of Followup-itis. Although not a disaster, the new disc lacks the fire, the magic and the sheer meaning of Joshua, which established U2 as the best rock band in the world at dealing with political and spiritual themes in ways that were at once universal and personal. "

"The album's preoccupation with sound almost masks a key element: the songs on Achtung Baby are just not up to standard. Although catchy in spots and enlightening in others, the melodies are simply not as grabby as the book of U2 classics. A few have potential. A highlight is "Acrobat," which chugs along on a syncopated beat and oozes passion. " - Achtung Baby review, St. Petersburg Times

Lets put it this way. The abum will be great if you LET it be great. I think many people are still pineing away for the Achtung Baby days and are so enthralled with it, they simply won't allow anything to surpass it, no matter how good it is. If you truly believe that "bands never put out great stuff in thier 40s," and "Achtung Baby will never be surpassed", truly believe it, then those statements will hold true for you, not matter how great the bands work may be. Perhaps like other posters have said, in ten years time they will change thier minds.

Achtung is a masterpiece. JT is a masterpiece. But I am willing to keep an open mind that maybe U2 have more than just 2 mastrpieces up their sleeves.

And whats a few bad reviews?. Pssh. Moby Dick got a whole shiteload of bad reviews when it was first published. Look at it now.

Last edited:
Remember all the shit that was written about Rattle and Hum. I'm sure I'm not alone in enjoying that album (and film) and it gave us All I Want Is You & Desire.

i do not give a flying fuck about reviews of the new album. that is all that they are:reviews. make up your own mind.

even if it is a poor album ie ATYCLB, rest assured that the 2005 tour will be a magnificent spectacle.

even though U2 may not push the envelope 'sonically' as much as they have done in the past, they are still the forerunners of live music events and that is something to get excited about.

Sleep Over Jack said:
I think one secret to U2's continued success creatively and commercially is that, like all classic bands, they have their landmark albums (JT, AB)..but they have a bunch of excellent 2nd-tier albums (ATYCLB, U. Fire, Zooropa, Pop, all 8/10s in my opinion). In other words, these are albums worth investing time in as each has about 6 or so really good songs. I would say off-peak U2 is a lot better than most other great bands when not at 100% greatness.

Expanding on what you said, I think it is safe to say that U2's off-peak work is even BETTER than other bands during their peak.

Back
Top Bottom