IGWSHA - Bono's sad face

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooroper

The Fly
I hope that you noticed how sad Bono looks in that video..Man, I know the song is sad, the lyrics are depressive, but what astonishes me is the look on Bono's face.

I call that VERY VERY GOOD ACTING!!! :ohmy:

I mean...too bad that Bono never went to get a movie roll, don't you think?

I suppose he's acting the part of a guy who has all these things playing on his mind, and all he wants to do is sit on his own - but he keeps getting all these ppl sitting and chatting next to him.

(sum of them at very high speed...:eyebrow:)

:wink:

It's even more amazing when you listen to Phil Joanou's commentary. The video was shot in one continuous take, and the song was being played back verrrrry sloooowly, which must have made it extremely difficult to lip-synch to. My hats off to Bono in this video.

miss becky said:
It's even more amazing when you listen to Phil Joanou's commentary. The video was shot in one continuous take, and the song was being played back verrrrry sloooowly!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA???? :huh: :ohmy: :ohmy:

This deserves a bump...IGWSHA is something of a pivotal video for the band in my opinion. It was a pivotal time for them.

When Discotheque and Pop came out it almost seemed to me like U2 were a bit unsure of what they were trying to do. The subsequent Popmart tour and videos saw U2 try so hard to almost get their arms around something...but maybe they never quite did whatever it was they were trying to do.

The video for IGWSHA to me is so beautiful...it's just Bono sitting there - oblivious to everyone and everything around him - pouring out those words. There are no sunglasses. No lemons. No over the top antics. To me, that video feels like U2 turning a point from trying to act like boys to becoming men. It's Bono being Bono for the first time in 10 years.

I'm really not doing a good job of explaining what I'm trying to say here, but there is something so desperate and searching about that whole video...to me it's the brink of "we've got to go dream it all up again" part II.

I really feel like the song itself is underrated. Perhaps they might have tightened it up if the POP sessions went on longer, or perhaps it takes too long for Larry to come in with the full drums for most listeners.

I'm wondering if this had been released instead of Staring at the Sun, would POP have had a better shot? SATS isn't a bad song, but it's the least interesting song on the album (you might hate Miami, but it's definitely something you won't forget), and ranks pretty low on the list of U2 ballad singles (WOWY, One, Stuck, SYCMIOYO, Stay). I'd say it's at the bottom.

Angels is a song that probably needs to be met halfway, and doesn't seem like a good summer single, but who knows? It's one of the few songs on the album that actually does have a hip-hop/trip-hop beat, and may have left some heads bobbing (especially on the outro). Plus the video is SO MUCH better than the generic clip for SATS, which probably killed any small chance the song had.

Does anyone think this video could have got IGWSHI (single mix) on the airwaves, and saved POP in the process? I think the video is one that people would have dug, because you don't usually see a whole band in close up like that for a whole video. It's entrancing, especially with Bono.

laz

Last edited:
miss becky said:
It's even more amazing when you listen to Phil Joanou's commentary. The video was shot in one continuous take, and the song was being played back verrrrry sloooowly, which must have made it extremely difficult to lip-synch to. My hats off to Bono in this video.
I think he says it was two takes. The middle part where the camera moves away from Bono and to the bar or whatever and then moves back to him is where they spliced the two takes.

It's one of my favorite U2 videos. Simple and beautiful.

lovebono said:
PLEASE HELP ME!!! I can`t find that bloody video "sometimes you can`t make it on your own" anywere!!!! I MUST see it!!!!!!

*Help*:sad: :sad:

There are several threads on it here, and stills in PLEBA! keep checking!

I do not think Bono's face looked sad in IGWSHA, he was smiling/laughing in a lot of it *runs to look for stills*

Oh dear, time for a PLEBA moment :reject:

popchopthumb.jpg

popchopsmile.jpg

There's one where he's outright laughing and hiding his face, I can't find it. The one Schmeg has/had for an avatar? Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom