If you're familiar with London, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
Yeah, I know it's not U2-related, but more people will see this here!

In March, I'll be in London from the 7-16 for my spring break!
smile.gif
Very cool, especially since I've never been overseas or even flown before. Of course I'm going to do all the touristy stuff, but I was hoping some of you could give me some suggestions for other fun stuff to do, record places to visit etc, good places to drink or party, whatever. I'm staying at the Edward Lear on Oxford Street, we got a good deal there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

biggrin.gif

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

GOD I LOVE LONDON! I totally got into the whole atmosphere there. If I wasn't planning on teaching English here at home then I'd move there in a heartbeat! The only bad thing that happened to me there was my fault. I lost my patience with the rest of my group (after the big group broke up for the night), and got lost in London, wandering around into the alleys trying to find my way back to the Virgin Megastore in Picadilly Circus. I met like at least 3 strippers, all of whom invited me in "Come 'ere love, didntcha mum teach ya no manners?". Now, I would have willingly obliged, except for the fact that I was, um, 15 at the time. My Latin teacher was soooooooo mad. But it was fun, and I didn't get in any trouble. I soooooo need to go back to Europe. Blah.

Well having lived in London for several years, I took well advantage of seeing as much as I could!

Anyhow, the only really good advice I can offer is to *NOT* hang around Oxford Street and the surrounding areas - sure, it's great but it's one big tourist trap - extremely commercial. Go there by all means but take the time to visit and experience the different "villages" of London as it's commonly referred to; as mentionned above, do go to Kensington and Chelsea (that's where all the celebrities are; King's Road in Chelsea was THE fashion area in the 60's; great and reasonable shopping can be found nowadays on High Street Kensington (i used to work at the Trailfinders on that street!)); go to Highgate and Highgate Park if you want to experience a more ethereal kind of beauty (that park also houses Marx's grave);
Richmond is probably my favourite part of London - riverside pubs,festive atmostphere, great shopping,great alleys, cafes, countless opportunities for star-gazing (Mick Jagger just lives up on Richmond Hill, overlooking Windsor and other parts of Surrey); walk along Cheyne Walk at night and see all the bridges lit up - if you walk long enough towards Central London you'll see Big Ben and Whitehall all lit up as well - spectacular really....
DO take one ride in a black cab - it's very cool to have seats like that in a car! And apparently, in order to be a black cab driver, you need to know EVERY SINGLE street in London! (test them! they always know!!)

Buckingham Palace usually disappoints tourists so if you want to see a nice English castle and don't want to travel far, then I suggest Hampton Court Palace (or even Windsor Castle because Windsor is a delightful little English town - you'll see where the Princes were educated, too) - however, if you're willing to travel a bit further and see where Henry the VIIIth stayed on weekends, then head out to Leeds Castle - they have fireworks displays on certain evenings of the week.

Anyhow, this is just my suggestion; of course, go to all the *normal* places like Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, Oxford Street, Piccadilly Circus, etc but if you want to get a different feel for the city, then I recommend the above places.

And oh yes, probably the best thing about London is its parks; it has huge parks right in the middle of the city - unlike any other city I've ever seen!
They're all lovely but you can rent a boat or a paddleboat or go rollerblading in Kensington Park (and you'll see Princess Di's Kensington Palace at the same time).

Ah, how I miss London now!!!
frown.gif

But do have fun!

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 01-21-2002).]

Lucky, lucky girl! I haven't been to London for awhile am so jealous!

Go to the Royal Ballet! See the Royal Opera House! Wander around Covent Garden! See the portrait gallery and the Victoria & Albert Museum and the British Museum (they are really amazing, and the British museum has original Beatle lyrics, Dickens manuscripts, etc.) Go also to Westminster Abbey and stand on the graves of all those ppl who lived hundreds of years ago, it's really spooky.

Oh! And go to the Old Bailey and watch a court case. Those are always really interesting and so much more fun with the wigs and the accents. My mom was there once when they had a really important trial, the Birmingham 6 or something.

Ah there's so much to do it's mind boggling. Don't rush around so much though that you miss out on the atmosphere. Just that alone is worth it. Have a great time!!!

By the way, on an unrelated note, your story is next.
wink.gif

Many thanks to ladywithspinninghead and Mrs. Edge!!
biggrin.gif
I'll be sure to print this page out. I'm going with my roommate who went to London last year with her family, so she is a little familiar with it already. With her family she didn't get to go out drinking, anything like that, so this time the trip is going to be a bit more crazy!
wink.gif

By the way Mrs. Edge, I can't wait to get my story!!

biggrin.gif

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

wow! all that advice from you lot and you all live across the pond! lol
Trying to think what else there is that hasn't been covered! Try a trip on the London Eye for a great view of London! Covent Gardens, if not for the shops,last time I was there, some great street entertainers. If you do get a cab, make sure it is a black cab and not a private cab firm, soon as they hear your accent you will get ripped off with the fare!Leicester Square at night has quite a atmosphere! Basically just take a wander around and see what you come across! You will always find a tube station nearby to take you back to your home base if you get lost! lol

I loved London!
smile.gif
Hi Julie!

If you have time, try to get outside of London as well. A friend and I did the whole touristy Oxford and Stratford bit, and it was a nice way to get out of the city for a day, or a couple of days, whichever you prefer.

I know it is kind of "American Touristy", but you have to eat at Wagamama's.

It is a noodle shop designed by David Chipperfield. Out of 5 nights I was in London I ate there 3 times in 1996. I simply love it.

Get #23 (miso soba) and a peach iced tea.

Yummy.

You should also check out places such as Clapham etc, as well as (slightly posher)Richmond, Twickhenam & surrounding areas. London has numerous `whats on' publications & websites-check them out. BTW - if you get time get out of London and visit some other cities such as Manchester (?20 return on the train if booked in advance), Glasgow etc.

Mike

Originally posted by ouizy:

AHHHHH, you absolutely have to eat there! I'm not even an American tourist but I love that place.

Oh, avoid the green tea you get as a freebie. It is nasty stuff! The food is delicious though
smile.gif

Originally posted by ouizy:

It is a noodle shop designed by David Chipperfield. Out of 5 nights I was in London I ate there 3 times in 1996. I simply love it.

Get #23 (miso soba) and a peach iced tea.

Yummy.

Again, thanks to all who have given me suggestions!! And ouizy, I will definately eat there (and I love peach iced tea!!)!

biggrin.gif

------------------
You will believe in me
And I can never be ignored

Camden Town. Take the blue line (Picadilly) to the black line (Northern Line) and ride a little ways. There's a stop called Camden Town that dumps you off right there in the thick of it all. Tons of shopping for cheap, great clubs, hipsters, record shops, cafes. It's just an cool place to kill an afternoon.

Try going to the Maritime Museum if you can. It's a ways out of the way but it's still in the city. Hey, you even get to stand on the meridian line too, and learn about the history of, what else, time. It's also a naval museum, since the area was used to house the naval military through the ages. The whole grounds belonged to Henry the the 8th, and Queen Victoria used to live there as well. It's rather interesting, there's an observatory up there as well and the view of greater London is magnificent. And maybe if you ask nicely, a curator will take you to see how ancient naval paintings are restored (the museum has quite a collection of paintings from all over the world from China to America to Spain to England - all having to do with ships and boats and such.) Last time I was at the museum in 1996 they had a fantastic display of artifacts pulled from the Titanic.

The Natural History Museum is great as well - but beware, there's lots of school kids running about.
wink.gif

Someone recommended Chelsea and that's a great place to stroll. Lots of shops from the hip to the high end, and there's *fantastic* joint called Chelsea kitchen which has full English breakfasts for super cheap, if you're into full English breakfasts that is.

By all means, stay away from Garfunkles, and Angus Steak House. Really, you're better off at McDonalds than any of those places.

Eat pub grub for lunch. It's affordable, and packed with starchy goodness that'll fill you up and get you ready for another stroll. And the beer on tap is quite good as well.

Also for fun take the tube to Hampstead Heath. A quaint little part of London that's out of the way but not too ar from it all. Nice pleasant shops and really cool houses to boot.

Not much to do in Covent Garden if you ask me, it's really touristy and too crowded with people blocking the walkways taking pictures. But if you do go, check out the multilevel Doc Martins shop.
biggrin.gif

Don't forget to check Westminster Abbey as well - my fave part of it is the Poets Corner, Where else can you actually gaze upon the resting place of William Blake?

It may be toursity as hell on a summer day, but if you're visiting London for the first time be sure and check out the Tower of London. Yes, it's touristy, but if you take into account all the history that place holds, it'll make you wish the walls could talk.

Other places to stroll about would be South Kensington, and the South Kensington market is a good place to go to pick up cheap trinkets for friends. And it's on the wild side too. Kind of like Camden Town in the posh part of town.

If you want to see posh, go to Harrods then skip on over to Harvey Nichols. There's a tube stop that lets you off right there. If you want to see more posh than you can possibly imagine, go to Bond Street. The shops there make Harrods look like Wal-Mart. The place has glint I tell you. I once saw a pair of gorgeous stockings in a store window that cost 215 pounds, and that was 10 years ago.

Be mellow and chill out in Hyde Park and walk along the banks if it's not too chilly or raining. Gorgeous flowers, wonderful for people watching, and you're only a hop skip and jump away from everything else in London.

I'd gladly give my right arm to live in London. I absolutely feel more at home there than I do where I live. Last time I was there was in 2000 and I miss it terribly. And there's so much going on - clubs, pubs, everything. It's a great place to be. Now who was it that said, in so many words "To be tired of London is to be tired of life." Truer words have never been spoken, at least in my case.

If you have some extra time and you want to get out of the hustle and bustle of London, take a trip to Bath. It's like a fairytale land. The trip by coach is 3 hours from London so get started early. I recommend getting there by coach, because you get to drive over the gentle hills to the gorgeous Romanesque valley shrouded in whispy fog that lays in the valley. It really is breathtaking. Take the train back, tho.

Also worth visiting if you have the time is Cambridge, which is a 2 hour train ride out of London. Grab a cab and have them take you to the town centre, Market Square. Saturdays are best because the market is going off. And check out King's College Chapel if you can - the longest nave in the whole of Europe, the ceiling so intricately crafted it looks like lace.

Have a blast! I'm sure you will. But I'm sure it'll be harder to get yourself back on the plane home.

[This message has been edited by adam's_mistress (edited 01-22-2002).]

Hey LadyLemon,

I went to London a few years ago, and one of the coolest touristy things that I did was go on the Jack the Ripper tour. I think they have several companies that offer Jack the Ripper tours, where they take you to all of the scenes of the crimes at night, and tell you all of the background info: victim, suspects, etc, so it is sort of like being in the middle of a murder mystery.

Oh, and definitely set aside time to simply drool over the accented British boys
wink.gif

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
Yeah, I know it's not U2-related, but more people will see this here!
now, that's the spirit

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Oh yeah, someone mentionned Camden Town - that reminded me. London has fantastic markets!!!!!! Do go to Camden before 3pm on the weekend - it's packed most of the time but well worth it - it's the largest market in Europe...you could spend hours and hours there!
Some of the markets in the East end deserve a visit as do Portobello Road market in the famous Notting Hill area....

So much to do in London really!

p.s.: Hi Anitram!

Damn, so much to do in 10 days! I'm going to need another vacation just to recover from this one!

------------------
You will believe in me

Wow, thank you so much Adam's Mistress! And yes, I've been planning to see Poets Corner--I am an English major after all.
wink.gif
I'd like to pay tribute to some of these people I've been reading.

Nancy, my brother is going as well and he really wants to do the Jack the Ripper tour so that is already on the agenda! And yes, those accents are going to be hard for me to tear myself away from!!! I love them!!

smile.gif

------------------
You will believe in me

Camden town is a great tip,i like to go there at a late sundaymorning you find all kind of secondhand stuff.
Try to see a dograce, it is a real familyevent. Look and be amazed. If you are at covent garden make a picture off rock garden ( i think that is the name ) U2 played there, a long long time ago.

And get a copy of time out, it is packed with tips.

Read you, Rono.

Originally posted by Nancy:
Hey LadyLemon,

I went to London a few years ago, and one of the coolest touristy things that I did was go on the Jack the Ripper tour. I think they have several companies that offer Jack the Ripper tours, where they take you to all of the scenes of the crimes at night, and tell you all of the background info: victim, suspects, etc, so it is sort of like being in the middle of a murder mystery.

Oh, and definitely set aside time to simply drool over the accented British boys
wink.gif

Haha, i did the pubtour. They had a pub where you could drink your beer on a grave yard. There was a story about a tradition of moving a beerglass on a gravestone. Moved by virgins. But the tradition is coming too a end, there are not enough virgins anymore
smile.gif

Read you, Rono.

I was in London for four months back in '96 and my college put us up in Kensington-Chelsea. Right by Earl's Court. It is a nice area. I would say do what everyone has recommended. Also, try and see a play in the West End-- London's version of Broadway. And to make this thread U2-related, my most prized U2 possession is a used copy of the Boy record [vinyl] that I bought that is the original cover art [the boy] as opposed to the U.S. art. Cheezy yes but it only cost my $6 [4 pounds].

oh and for currency, our general rule of thumb was to divide the pound price in half and add that number to the pound number to get the dollar equivilent. [5 pounds + 2.5 = $7.50] Not totally accurate but close enough.

Back
Top Bottom