If you were allowed into U2's live vault...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty72

The Fly
and U2 gave you the opportunity to choose only one live audio recording and one video recording, what shows would you pick?
My video choice: Zoo TV Ames, IA 9/11/92(my first U2 concert)
My audio choice: Tempe 12/20/87

Audio choice: Hampton 12-12-1987 (It's one of my favorite U2 shows ever)
Video choice: London Earl's Court 19-8-2001 (first time in the heart and the whole London 4-in-a-row was a dream come true)

I would pick shows that there is not a known circulating bootleg for or only incomplete versions.
IE: The 83 and 85 Honolulu shows, 85 Lark by The Lee show (although U2 themselves may not have taped this one), 9-21-89 Perth (complete, Lovetown opener), 9-9-92 Detroit (complete), 9-15-92 Chicago, Greece 97, etc.......

Narrowing it down out of these would be difficult, so I wont even try to! :lol:

Last edited:
salty72 said:
and U2 gave you the opportunity to choose only one live audio recording and one video recording, what shows would you pick?

As a official release ???

Audio CD: Zoo TV Stockholm 11-06-1992 "Dancing Zoo TV"
DVD: Pop Mart Santiago 11-02-1998 "Mothers Of The Dissapeared"

:D :heart:

Chicago April 1987 - that's if they even recorded that show. I heard U2 only recorded a few shows during that period.

Irving Plaza would be great too, even on DVD. We don't have any video footage of a full U2 gig from a club show.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Chicago April 1987 - that's if they even recorded that show. I heard U2 only recorded a few shows during that period.

Irving Plaza would be great too, even on DVD. We don't have any video footage of a full U2 gig from a club show.

Cheers,

J

I dont know where you heard that but its not true. Every U2 show has been recorded since the War tour with very few if any exceptions. If it was U2's show and stage set up, they recorded it.

jick said:

Uh ... there is full DVD footage of Irving Plaza, and plenty of footage of U2 in clubs. Weren't 15 May 1981 and 4 November 1981 clubs? They look it to me, but I wouldn't really know, having never been to one.

salty72 said:
Salty - it's a bit off subject, but MY first U2 concert was right after yours! I saw them on the 13th in Racine, Wisconsin... and it was WONDERFUL!! :)

Great question. I would definitely go with:

Video: 3/18/92 E. Rutherford NJ. Amazing show with U2 hitting on all cylinders! Great improvizing by the band!

Audio: 11/18/89 Sydney, Australia (complete show). This is the concert with the bomb threat. Tremendous energy!

How about the '87 show in Baton Rouge so we can determine once and for all whether or not the band played With or Without You that night?

usamilo said:
How about the '87 show in Baton Rouge so we can determine once and for all whether or not the band played With or Without You that night?

They did, the taper didnt like the song so he edited it on the spot as amazing as that is. It was his first time taping.

Myself?

I'd give just about anything to have been a fly on the wall on the rancorous day when "One" was recorded. To be witness to a U2 shouting match, and/or uncharacterisitc icy silence, when they were the closest they had ever came to breaking up, (if you read Flanagan's book you will realize just how dire the band's situation was then) then hearing Edge coming up with that opening riff, then Bono joining in, and how the track shaped up, and was recorded within the next hour. To see all that antagonism melt away before what must have a been a divinely inspired moment. I wonder if the guys all engaged in a massive hug afterwards, and if there were even any tears?

What I wouldn't give for the security video from that Hansa studio, if it existed....

That would be my magical moment, even if the footage doesn't exist.

Last edited:
They filmed some black and white documentary style footage at Hansa. I dont think they had constant cameras around though, its doubdtful the creation of One was caught on film. There is audio of the entire process obviously. They filmed part of the recording during the Dublin phase of Achtung, but again, not constant. I dont think they have ever had constant film coverage of them in the studio. I think there was alot of coverage during the POP sessions, obviously we had the webcam for that as well which was interesting. There really is no reason to film it anyway, obviously record it, but not film it. U2 films and records their shows for archiving and to review to make changes and enhancements in the show during the tour. There is obviously nothing they really need to look at while they are in the studio.

Last edited:
Video : Any LoveTown show from Australia (dont get me wrong europe leg was great too)
Sarjaevo '97
Melbourne 93 First Night (second would be nice too)

Audio : Brisbane Zoo TV

I bet the group have some interesting soundchecks hiding away in the vault. But where would one begin?

Considering the quality of material on the Axtung Beibei(sp?) bootlegs you know they are capapble of some very cool thing nobody has publically heard.

I do know there is a couple soundchecks in circulation, though they are mainly of known material in outdoor stadiums.

U2FP

salty72 said:

What's the deal with the Brisbane show? It seems to me it is highly sought after.

There is no bootleg audience recording that has surfaced of it. So there is no recording of it period in circulation.

Re: Re: If you were allowed into U2's live vault...

BluRmGrl said:

Salty - it's a bit off subject, but MY first U2 concert was right after yours! I saw them on the 13th in Racine, Wisconsin... and it was WONDERFUL!! :)
Very cool!:up: I was in the nose-bleed seats on Edge's side. I remember vividly Bono coming out in his mirrorball man suit, kissing himself in the full-length mirror and doing some type of Elvis-like moves throughout Desire.

I hate to be greedy (instead of picking shows that have not surfaced), but I'm picking shows I was at:

video: 12/20/87
audio: 12/16/84

Back
Top Bottom