If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Jools Holland vs Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
Funny the love the Pop version is getting here. I've distributed both versions to people before and normally they're falling over themselves to praise the Jools Holland version. I know a couple of girls who think it's the single sexiest song they have ever heard.

Oh, is that the song you should play for them. :hmm: Thanks for the tip Axver :up:

I just love the Holland version, beautiful arrangement. You can appreciate better the spirit of the song in this version.

I'll ask again: For those of you who prefer the Pop version, does it not bother you that you can BARELY hear Bono singing in the first 2/3 of the song?

namkcuR said:
I'll ask again: For those of you who prefer the Pop version, does it not bother you that you can BARELY hear Bono singing in the first 2/3 of the song?

Thats the sezzy bit. Whispering is so much more appealing than belting it out.

I never liked this song until the Jools Holland version. I feel the extra verses add a lot. Perhaps the guitar work is gone, but Bono's extra lines and emotions more than make up for it.

This is just the second time a "remix" (if you will) has made me like a U2 song. The Perfecto Mix of "Lemon", with the extra singer and verses really made "Lemon" stand out. I never cared for the album version, but I grew to enjoy the song due to this mix. In both cases, the only time I listen to either song, I listen to the mix and not the original.

The low recording of the Pop vocal 4 much of the song has always been very annoying ...... the tech should have been fired and jailed for 7 years!:wink:

Doesn't Bono say "I wanna suck you" as the 1st line of the Pop version?

Can anybody send me the Jools Holland/ Bono collaboration? I used to have it on my computer... but then that crashed and now, not so much :/ Plus, I'm trying to make my own uber "POP" album with my favorite alternate versions of particular songs (single versions of "Please", "IGWSHA", "LNOE" and the 'Best Of...' version of "Gone"). My e-mail is...

filmfanatic@gmail.com

I would greeeeaaaaaaaaaaatly appreciate it :yes:

Mixed opinions here. I love the POP version. The Jools version seems so bloated and over the top. I could see Bono performing that version nightly when he's 60 and doing Vegas shows.

namkcuR said:

It's milky and Bono is just fooling.. I think it adds to the appeal of the song..
He is not even really singing it's more of a spoken word. Which suits the character of the song

The Pop version is so mysterious and haunting and sexy. i love Bono's whispered vocal style on it, it's just a bit different to your average U2 song. i love it.

The JH version just sounds like a typical big band kind of swing song. you hear one of them kind of songs and you've heard them all. it's nice, don't get me wrong, but it really does clutch at the coat-tails of the sublime Pop version.

I recently played this song for an old friend of mine who had never heard the Jools Holland version. She closed her eyes throughout the whole song and I felt like I should have offered her a cigarette at the end.:wink:

So my vote is for the Jools Holland version with the piano and brass. Actually, I would love to see many of U2's songs played with a full orchestra including the band itself of course.

Anyone ever hear Emm Gryner, she sings songs like Big Bang Baby, Crazy Train, and Pour Some Sugar on Me with a piano and breathless vocals. I like that kind of stuff too.

Back
Top Bottom