If You Wear That Velvel Dress appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chucky28

The Fly
I can't stop listening to this song these days. I think it's a very underrated track from POP. The bass line is very haunting and I love the atmosphere.
Velvet dress -----> Mercy = :drool:...This track flow is particularly good on my home made compilation. The bass is beautiful and predominant on both tracks.

What do you all think?

Exactly guill :wink: ...And the edge's solo in Velvet is astonishing. It almost made me cry the first time I heard it. It's certainly the highlight of this song!

sonofabono said:
a classic tune both versions are tops

I disagree. Bono's voice sounds much better on the album version. That song should be sung low key, with a pretty soft voice. And, on the Jools version, you lose edge's wonderful solo. :(
But that's just my opinion :wink: ...

I just love this song! And it's definately the best song off Pop! When Bono sings the line finals lines "tonight the moon is a mirrorball/ light flickers from across the hall/ who'll catch the star when it falls..." I just melt...!!:drool: :combust:

chucky28 said:

I disagree. Bono's voice sounds much better on the album version. That song should be sung low key, with a pretty soft voice. And, on the Jools version, you lose edge's wonderful solo. :(

I agree. The Jools Holland version really showcases Bono's voice, but the song loses its subtlety and Edge's solo, which imo is the best part of the song, with Adam's bass pulsating throughout :drool: I do enjoy both versions, but for me the Pop version is better. so beautiful.

chucky28 said:

I'm a Bono girl so I guess thats why I love the Holland version.
Holland version is sexy cabaret style, while the album version is soft and sweet...:drool: :drool:

I've listened to the Jools version so many times that the album version doesn't do anything for me. Bono's voice is just :drool:

Jools Velvet Dress = :up:

I agree - Velvet Dress is great! and I’ve found particularly when together with Your Blue Room. Love the wonderful subdued bass lines of Adam. A few days ago I posted this collection in a different thread. A sort of very late night compilation. An album that shines the spotlight on Adam – the sensitive, sensual side of “the jazz man of the band.”

NEON BLUE or NEON BLUES?

1. Neon Lights
2. Satellite Of Love (Danny Saber Version)
3. Slug
4. Tomorrow (1996 Version)
5. Stateless
6. One Step Closer
7. Your Blue Room
8. Velvet Dress
9. Grace
10. Never Let Me Go (Narration edited out)
11. Woman (Back Mask 1& 2 together from Salome Outtakes)
12. Please
13. Stay
14. Love Is Blindness

****THUD X INFINITY**** = if you wear that velvet dress (jools holland version) That song just makes me melt everytime I hear it!:drool: :drool: This version shows such range on B's voice I love it.

Velvet Dress > Your Blue Room is maybe the most sexy combination of songs ever. I listened to them in that order on the bus to uni once... never again! I could barely concentrate for an hour afterwards. Not just because of Bono's seductive voice, either, but the music on both is just pure sex.

U2Soar said:
I agree - Velvet Dress is great! and I’ve found particularly when together with Your Blue Room. Love the wonderful subdued bass lines of Adam. A few days ago I posted this collection in a different thread. A sort of very late night compilation. An album that shines the spotlight on Adam – the sensitive, sensual side of “the jazz man of the band.”

NEON BLUE or NEON BLUES?

1. Neon Lights
2. Satellite Of Love (Danny Saber Version)
3. Slug
4. Tomorrow (1996 Version)
5. Stateless
6. One Step Closer
7. Your Blue Room
8. Velvet Dress
9. Grace
10. Never Let Me Go (Narration edited out)
11. Woman (Back Mask 1& 2 together from Salome Outtakes)
12. Please
13. Stay
14. Love Is Blindness

Amazing collection, I only left out Tomorrow, using Miss Sarajevo in it's place...

BTW, can you send me Never Let me go without the narration please!!!!!

ortegap.alex@gmail.com

thanks in advance!!!

I think the best version of this song is the Live from Mexico City which appears on the Beautilful Day single. I love the way it sounds after Discotheque. The guitar just melts right into the transition to Velvet Dress. Too bad it's shorter than the album version.

Jules Holland version is my favorite version especially as I am listening on my Ipod as go off to sleep. It is my song to Bono in the bathtub picture song, Bono on a deserted island song, Bono in the moonlight song, Bono at a sunset song, Bono on the beach song, etc. you get my point.:drool:

Back
Top Bottom