If you could undo one u2 "mistake"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would have put Fast Cars on the American version of HTDAAB. I lcan't figure out why we got cheated out of it -- because they didn't want to play it live, perhaps?

MrBrau1 said:

No.

It's like removing a cancerous tumor from a newborn baby's body. Hope, life, and passion live on.

And the black, decaying, evil tumor is disected and studied in the hopes of preventing such things in the future.

Now tell us how you really feel. :wink:

Though I totally see where you're coming from, I think the song works better with them than it does without them. As a straight rock song it just falls flat. As a kitschy rock/dance song, it's pretty fun.

Pandering to the fanbase after their mis-steps on the Pop album and tour.

They got queasy about being labelled sell-outs BY the fanbase, so they went ahead and sold out TO the fanbase.

dietcokeofevil said:
Pandering to the fanbase after their mis-steps on the Pop album and tour.

They got queasy about being labelled sell-outs BY the fanbase, so they went ahead and sold out TO the fanbase.

Pop was the ultimate attempt to pander.

Problem was, the bandwagon they were jumping on didn't take off in the US the way everyone thought it would.

It just didn't work, so now everyone loves it.

It's the "against the grain" U2 record. :|

When in reality, it was the most contrived, and planned period in the bands history. Fake & forced in their highest form.

If "Pop" had been a grunge record everyone here would be dumping all over it.

But because U2 jumped on a trend that hadn't taken off yet in the US it's considered "brave."

Fuck that. They thought that Electro/Techno sound was gonna be huge. So they tried to get in early.

It didn't. Applaude it all you want. Their intention was still there.

ATYCLB/HTDAAB are just U2 playing U2 songs.

But that sucks for some reason.

ATYCLB/HTDAAB is u2 falling back on their previous "style" to cover their asses. nothing great about imitating yourself.

NOTE TO BONO: time to pack it in because you finally made crap/wallpaper music.

where's the nearest elevator? i feel like listening to beautiful day.

kingofsorrow said:
u2 needs to get rid off those fans who can't stand hearing complaints about the band. it's called a difference of opinion. get over yourselves.
Okay, but some of you guys are hammering it down on other people of different opinion as if yours was the ultimate truth.
If anything, U2 need to get rid of people spreading nothing but negativity and blaming them for their own frustration.
I don't even know why some people are even around if they don't agree with ANYTHING this band has been doing in recent years. Maybe you should move on.
I am sure no body here agrees with everyting U2 has ever done, but these ongoing rants are exaggerated and totally childish.

We're here because we love U2. I have been a fan for over 20 years and up until around this decade I have worshipped Everything they've ever released. I've stuck up for U2 all this time even though people were always taking the piss out of them especially out of Bono. So I think I have the right to state an opinion about the band I love, they have put out some of the best music ever made in the history of music and I know they could do it again. I care deeply about them, their music has been a big part of my life, so if I want to say how I feel about the slightly wallpaperish feel of SOME of their 00's stuff then I will, doesn't mean that I'm saying my opinion is the devinitive one. The 00's has produced some of my favourite U2 songs, Beautiful Day, Ground Benath Her Feet, In A Little While, ELectrical Storm, COBL and Fast Cars amd WIndow In The Skies but it's also produced some of my most hated, Miracle Drug, Peace On Earth, The Saints ARE cOMING, One with MJB, Crumbs amongst others, from the 80's and 90's combined there are only a couple of songs I hate. This makes me think that U2 are on a bit of a downward spiral, which is annoying because they could easily turn it around, I just hope they will do it. I don't hate songs like Elevation, it's ok just a little pointless and U2 never made pointless music before in my humble opinion.

last unicorn said:

Okay, but some of you guys are hammering it down on other people of different opinion as if yours was the ultimate truth.
If anything, U2 need to get rid of people spreading nothing but negativity and blaming them for their own frustration.
I don't even know why some people are even around if they don't agree with ANYTHING this band has been doing in recent years. Maybe you should move on.
I am sure no body here agrees with everyting U2 has ever done, but these ongoing rants are exaggerated and totally childish.

srsly people need to stop the negativity towards U2:madwife:

elevated_u2_fan said:
This is going to be awesome! :hyper:

:corn:
I'm like a fucking psychic over here... :drool:

Who want's to know what the winning lottery numbers will be?

U2Man said:
i think the crappiness of the "new mix" versions shows that:

1) more time on the band's hands would not have made pop any better.

2) u2 should not try to rework pop.
Will you marry me? :heart:

Canadiens1160 said:
It's alright dude I like the BOOM-CHAS too...

Last edited:
silvrlvr said:
I would have put Fast Cars on the American version of HTDAAB. I lcan't figure out why we got cheated out of it -- because they didn't want to play it live, perhaps?

err... no.

Fast cars wasn't going to be on the record, but since cds are more expensive in the UK and Japan because of some taxes or whatever they put an extra track on it, same with The Ground Beneath Her Feet on ATYCLB.... which is a shame that it's not on the record too...

BOOM CHA! :rockon::drool:

MaxFisher said:
the cover of HTDAAB

Haha....agreed! Makes them look like tired old men & opens themselves up to half the lame-ass criticisms that float around here.

Where's Mr. BAW when you need him?

LemonMelon said:
Have U2 break up after Pop, because the rest of their career up to this point has all been music for old farts with broken hearing aids.

Ok, off of page 1, I just can't let this one go... wait, let me turn up my hearing aid... we old farts still listen to the old stuff, prefer the 80s stuff, cherish our 80s boots above all other boots (well maybe except for that freakin rockin godfather boot of vertigo san diego, but i digress), and basically wish we could go back in time to our hey day. man, bring back the post-punk... this WITS shit... oops better that one go... geez, geez

oh and for the record, craptastic is the new fantastic to tie up a loose end in another thread...

hope the BAWs are having a great time in NY...

1) Having that director of NSync and Britney Spears videos direct Elevation. I can't watch that one, its too embarassing.

2) Going on TRL to promote ATYCLB

3) Not having the Electric Storm remix as the single

4) remixing the songs on the Best of 1990 - 2000

5) Releasing Rattle and Hum as a movie. It should've just gone straight to video

Galeongirl said:

err... no.

Fast cars wasn't going to be on the record, but since cds are more expensive in the UK and Japan because of some taxes or whatever they put an extra track on it, same with The Ground Beneath Her Feet on ATYCLB.... which is a shame that it's not on the record too...

BOOM CHA! :rockon::drool:

So since we "only" play $10.99 for a CD versus $18-20 overseas, they got an extra song. I get it now. I guess it was worth the 99 cent download then :)

I'd reverse the mistake of not dumping Larry in the pre-Boy era.

tommycharles said:
The third leg of Elevation. Until that point, the whole ATYCLB era was just another phase of U2's career, and a fairly enjoyable one - light pop songs on the album, fiery, unpretentious live performances on stage. But when they came into post-9/11 America, they forgot to eat the "mass acceptance" monster before it ate them.

That's your opinion - but I don't agree at all. Musically the third leg of 'Elevation' was by far better than the 2nd one: the US shows were even better than the European ones:
Bono's voice was in fine(e) shape, the setlist changed from night night and the band delivered real highlights of their career, at the least in the shows I attended. 10 reasons why:
1. "Out Of Control", one of the tour highlights, was played more often - because U2 revisited the US-cities and showed variety.
2. "My Sweet Lord", full band, as a tribute rocked the house - and moved to tears.
3. "Angel Of Harlem", full band, finally became a staple.
4. "People Get Ready" or "Knocking On Heaven's Door" with fans on guitar(s) and the whole band performing these famous 80ies covers again - after a decade not doing so. Hello?
5. "Please" stripped down to the song's pure essence, being a kind of strange lyrical prophecy of 9/11 now - astonishing, especially at the final night in Miami!
6. "In God's Country" played complete acoustically with a great harp solo - this rare The Joshua Tree classic is a live gem.
7. "Bad" linked with "Who's Gonna Ride ..." - a beautiful idea.
8. "I Still Haven't Found ..." was finally in the sets.
9. "What's Going On" - another great full band cover song, fitting the mood of the leg perfectly.
10. "Peace On Earth" as a prelude to the best rocking "Walk On" versions of the whole tour (just listen to Miami's one...).

No, mate, to skip one of the best live eras of the band is not my idea. But I already posted very early in this thread, what I think: The band has had the supergroup status now for 20 years - they really could identify more now with albums, that were (thought to be) great by them in the past and are often described now as "mistakes": "October", "Rattle And Hum", "Pop" - and still are great today. There's no need to skip or even re-record anything of it. It's part of U2's oeuvre and back-catalogue. Play the stuff live.
It should not all be about masss taste and commercial success of "Greatest Hits". Just insert a handful of so-called obscure tunes in your sets - and instead of talking only about making the world a better place, say: "Well, you might not know the next one. But we're proud of playing it. It's from an album we made 25 years ago, named "The Unforgettable Fire". That song says it all. Welcome back to - "The Unforgettable Fire"!" I'm sure with this approach (already shown 2001 and even more in 2005/06) U2 really could gain "new" fans for their elder records (and I don't mean compilations). Yes, why not play tunes like "October", "A Sort Of Homecoming", "Exit" or "Mofo" again. Who witnessed the "One Tree Hill" performances a few months ago, knows what I'm talking about. You can't kill poetry!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom