If you could undo one u2 "mistake"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mwheelonh said:
Hiring Hamish Hamilton to direct anything, ever. Think of the concert videos we could have gotten from Elevation and Vertigo, instead of his shaky-cam, random-cutting crap. Sigh.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Every time I watch ZooTV I cringe for the crap we had to put up with for Elevation and Vertigo dvds. Hamilton completely fails to capture the magic of a U2 show.

I agree, the 90-00 Best Of was just a debacle of a compilation.

And of course, much of their post-00 stuff to me is really a shame more than a mistake. Post-ATYCLB they'd re-established themselves, and could have done something, or a series, of great things. Instead they went with 'consolidate' or something. A really great album could be sitting on my shelf where HTDAAB is.

mwheelonh said:
Hiring Hamish Hamilton to direct anything, ever. Think of the concert videos we could have gotten from Elevation and Vertigo, instead of his shaky-cam, random-cutting crap. Sigh.

:cringes:

Completely agree, and I forgot that one.

I just hope we could've gotten a few more zoom-ins on the tail of Bono's guitar during Kite at Slane. :huh:

I think the biggest mistake I would like to undo is U2 booking the Popmart Tour before they finished the album. It would have led to a finished, better polished album and the Popmart tour would have started off much stronger.

Oh, and Love Rescue Me should have never seen the light of day.

not hire Hamish

not do a fucked job on the 90's compilation.

please stop with all these long ass album titles. or to be correct, P.S.W.A.T.L.A.A.T.

release a live DVD off one of the Lovetown shows. preferably the New Years show.

redo the so-called POP fiasco properly. finish the friggin album the right way. plan and carry out the tour properly.
i mean come on guys, you spend 7 1/2 milliion dollars developing and building the worlds first large scale LED based display and you fuck it up by touring without properly rehearsing the songs, wearing ugly clothes and getting stuck in a friggin lemon the size off my house. Pop was so totally mis-represented live.

will somebody please do a "drive-by" on Hamish? for the love off all video equipment, please snuff out that bastard.

Mary J may have a fat booty, but that doesn't mean you let her inhale one of your greatest songs. let her go "shoop, shoop, shoop" it up with whitney.

stop making wallpaper music.

bono stop standing on 1 leg whilst lifting the other for folks to see what brilliant phrases you have written under them. your old....................older, you need both legs to stand. or your next single will be called " stuck in a wheel chair", from the album " sitting on a cold bedpan, with a thermometer stuck up my ass" or to be correct, S.O.A.C.B.W.A.T.S.U.M.A. p.s. i intend no offense to folks in wheel chairs.

mwheelonh said:

I bow to you !!!!!!!:bow:

Canadiens1160 said:
I'd undo the band's constant bemoaning of Pop. STFU noobs.

Agreed.

Also, I wouldn't have minded an Australian leg of the Elevation tour, regardless of how I feel about ATYCLB. (Also agreed on the long-album-title thing.)

Allanah said:
Discotheque being the first single and video from Pop.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the song. I think they misfired with the video somewhat, and now the general public associates Pop with "U2 dressed like the Village People." Once, a co-worker of mine who generally has very good taste in music and loves U2, said that Pop sucked. I asked him to name a song from it besides Discotheque, and he couldn't do it. All he remembered was that goddamned video.

Instead, I'd have held off HMTMKMKM from the Batman Forever soundtrack and released that as the first single from Pop. That'd be a killer tracklisting... Hold Me -> Discotheque -> DYFL -> Mofo. :drool:

Ditto regarding Discotheque, the video was a mistake. I also think that they should have released Do You Feel Loved and Mofo as singles. Mofo should have been the first single, it would have had much the same effect as The Fly did in 1991.
Other mistakes...too many this decade.

kingofsorrow said:
not hire Hamish

not do a fucked job on the 90's compilation.

please stop with all these long ass album titles. or to be correct, P.S.W.A.T.L.A.A.T.

release a live DVD off one of the Lovetown shows. preferably the New Years show.

redo the so-called POP fiasco properly. finish the friggin album the right way. plan and carry out the tour properly.
i mean come on guys, you spend 7 1/2 milliion dollars developing and building the worlds first large scale LED based display and you fuck it up by touring without properly rehearsing the songs, wearing ugly clothes and getting stuck in a friggin lemon the size off my house. Pop was so totally mis-represented live.

will somebody please do a "drive-by" on Hamish? for the love off all video equipment, please snuff out that bastard.

Mary J may have a fat booty, but that doesn't mean you let her inhale one of your greatest songs. let her go "shoop, shoop, shoop" it up with whitney.

stop making wallpaper music.

bono stop standing on 1 leg whilst lifting the other for folks to see what brilliant phrases you have written under them. your old....................older, you need both legs to stand. or your next single will be called " stuck in a wheel chair", from the album " sitting on a cold bedpan, with a thermometer stuck up my ass" or to be correct, S.O.A.C.B.W.A.T.S.U.M.A. p.s. i intend no offense to folks in wheel chairs.

:up: :up:

LemonMelon said:
Have U2 break up after Pop, because the rest of their career up to this point has all been music for old farts with broken hearing aids.
Just like you, I suppose? :lol:

Honestly, for me it would be: releasing the whole Milan show instead of the bonus DVD selection.

hmm what a suprise that some of the posts here, people moaning about the 00's, wonder where i have heard all that before

kingofsorrow said:
[
Mary J may have a fat booty, but that doesn't mean you let her inhale one of your greatest songs. let her go "shoop, shoop, shoop" it up with whitney.[/B]

I'd agree with this, the power of the original was that Bono's vocal performance was so restrained, the emotion was held in check. Mary J oversang it, making the song melodramatic rather than dramatic.

What were they thinking?

U2girl said:

Make Pop the way it was live.

Without the stupid outfits and ditch the karaoke (worst live idea, play a U2 song or do a cover instead) for SBS from day 1, though.
And don't look like Village people in the video, might help.

For a single song though...my mammy has got to go. Tied with NOT putting HMTMKMKM on Zooropa.

Honorable mention the other P album they did (would be no 1 by a landslide but they were smart enough not to pull that stunt under the name of U2). Thankfully at least Larry has some critisicm for their work left.

Last edited:
I've said it a million times and I will say it again. Nothing kills rock and roll faster than nationally televised shopping sprees with Oprah to save the world.

The three mistakes I'd most like if U2 had never made were giving creative control to:

Hamish Hamilton
Jacknife Lee
Flood

U2 as a band had been perfect in my eyes up until 1993. Thereafter, every two forward steps was followed up by one step back.

Pop, who knows what it could have been, but it certainly isn't perfect

Ditto for HTDAAB

And watching a DVD that doesn't give a person a headache would be kind of nice once in a while.

Thinking that Pop was a failure and changing their artistic course to make radio friendly lowest common denominator bland uninteresting wallpaper music for the masses because more $$$ must mean more "success" and that's what about isn't it ?

How about: The band's ever moarning fans?
But then again: That's not the band's fault, isn't it?
Thank God there is no such thing as perfection among human beings.

Back
Top Bottom