If You Could Remove One Song From U2's Albums.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:

:down: NO SOUP FOR YOU.

I hope you're not defending:

Some days are slippy, other days sloppy
Some days you can't stand the sight of a puppy
Your skin is white but you think you're a brother

:eyebrow: C'mon Bono ... thats a joke. ^^

luna_lovegood said:

I hope you're not defending:

Some days are slippy, other days sloppy
Some days you can't stand the sight of a puppy
Your skin is white but you think you're a brother

:eyebrow: C'mon Bono ... thats a joke. ^^

I'm defending that sick bass line and fuzz box solo. Musically, it's superb.

And AMAAW? Just a great pop song, and a nice change of pace on HTDAAB.

LemonMelon said:

I'm defending that sick bass line and fuzz box solo. Musically, it's superb.

Adam's bass line is the only thing that allows this song to retain any sort of dignity.

LemonMelon said:

WAR! WAAAAAR!

Her papa go to war
He gonna fight, but he don't know what for

WAR! WAAAAAR!

That is pretty terrible on paper.

It's even worse on the record.

Well, that or Red light.

Varitek said:
NYD hasn't been played every night - I'm sure Axver can break out some stats, but what I'll say is that I saw 6 Vertigo shows and never saw NYD and I'd trade it for 5 out of the 6 Ones I saw in a second, partly because it's a much better song and partly because it hasn't been played anywhere near every night so it isn't tired and flat.

Correct.

My point was that in 1992, when Bono dismissed those fans who felt U2 had to play NYD, it had essentially the same position as One has now. So let me break down NYD's history:

- It debuted on 1 December 1982.
- From the first date of the Pre-War Tour through to the last date of the Lovetown Tour, it was played at all but five gigs. Out of more than 350 shows! It was missed at less than 0.02% of concerts - statistically negligible, and thus comparable to One's current status.
- It missed COMPLETELY the first two legs of ZooTV. Not a problem; U2 fans were not rioting en masse, and this is now remembered as one of U2's best eras by most here (I am, of course, an exception). It returned on the second night of the third leg and stayed there until the end of the tour. It should be emphasised that it returned not due to fan protest, but because U2 felt WGRYWH did not work live, and UTEOTW could segue into NYD just like it segued into WGRYWH. The other classics Bono referenced - Sunday Bloody Sunday and I Will Follow - were played only sparingly from this point on. I Will Follow failed to make even a fifteenth of ZooTV setlists.
- It was played at every Popmart gig.
- It missed 33 of Elevation's 113 shows.
- It was played at less than half of Vertigo's concerts: 65 of 131. It missed the entire third leg, 50 shows in North America. On the fifth leg, it rotated with ISHFWILF.

U2 don't need to play any song. Any fan who thinks they do is just trying to make U2 fit into a box. You really think the U2 live show is dependent on any one song being played? Then that's a sad comment on your opinion of them as performers. I'm one of this forum's more vocal critics of many things U2 have done and continue to do, and not even I would entertain such a silly notion. U2 are a fantastic live band who shouldn't be boxed in to certain setlist choices.

And I'm sorry to disappoint Canadiens and his favourite smiley, but the debate between Aygo and I is over since I've put Aygo on ignore after the "we think One fucking sucks" thread.

Axver said:
U2 don't need to play any song. Any fan who thinks they do is just trying to make U2 fit into a box.
would the position of that box be anywhere near the "Anything U2 does that I don't like they do because they are corporate whores since it's not even remotely possible they just might enjoy playing a certain song/style and feel the reaction it gets"-box

or is that box located somewhere else?

Actually, if I could only remove one U2 song from only one album, it would be One. A ballad with funk guitar? Seriously? I laugh when I listen to it because of the tone of the music, and how it really doesn't fit the lyrics whatsoever.

Boy: The Ocean
October: Is That All?
War: Red Light
The Unforgettable Fire: 4th of July
Joshua Tree: Mothers of the Disappeared
Rattle and Hum: Still Haven't Found (Live)
Achtung Baby: So Cruel
Zooropa: The Wanderer
Pop: Miami
ATYCLB: Grace
Bomb: One Step Closer
New Album: Mercy

Boy - Shadows and Tall Trees
October - Fire
War - Red Light
UF - Fourth of July
JT - Mothers of the Disappeared
R&H - Love Rescue Me