If we were taking bets....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sperber

Acrobat
It will come out on July the 1st and it will contain 11 tracks which will all sound a bit unready. But the tour is just round the corner and U2 will have to stop recording before everything?s worked out.

------------------
beLIEve

Remember that our boys are perfectionists (or will be from here on out) when it comes to albums. Summer seems early.

Anyone want to start a pool (actually place bets)?
biggrin.gif

I'll say they release an EP (my guess is 5-6 new songs) in late May, then tour Europe over the summer. Then a full album very early 2003, followed by a stadium tour.

At this point based on what I am hearing I'd say full album in June or July, Bono says the fans will be surprised how close they already are.

But Caution: Bono SAYS

He said alot of stuff about ATYCLB...

Originally posted by EXIT_TO_THE_NORTH:
I'll say they release an EP (my guess is 5-6 new songs) in late May, then tour Europe over the summer. Then a full album very early 2003, followed by a stadium tour.

Hey Exit, where you from?

------------------
And I felt like a star...

I can't see them doing an EP, somehow. Sure Zooropa started out with that in mind, and look what happened. I think their ambition will get ahold of them in the studio, as it always does.

Prediction: An album no sooner than early 2003. Prediction 2: it won't sound anything like Bono says it will. Prediction 3: The critics will tear it to shreds regardless of quality.

------------------
"I could meet you
We could be on the same side of the table
We could talk about what kind of person
you were tryin' to attract
We could look down from on high
and laugh..."

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:

Prediction: An album no sooner than early 2003. Prediction 2: it won't sound anything like Bono says it will. Prediction 3: The critics will tear it to shreds regardless of quality.

As much as I would like a new album next week, I think this might be what will happen.

------------------
I know your garden's full
But is there sweetness at all?

hey look, another Minnesotan! Welcome.
biggrin.gif

I think there are some threads around here dealing with this subject. errr..but I don't remember the dates. My guess is an album sometime later this year.
smile.gif

-sula

Keeping my fingers crossed for June/July... think they'll try and release something either during or before the tour so they can use the hype to promote it

But dubious about whether it will be as good as Bono says....

I think those of you that think it wont be until 2003 are in for a very big surprise. But we shall see. As said before U2 have been known to suddenly change their minds and take an album in a different direction, so 2003 is a possibility. But I dont think that is going to happen. Get ready, summer 2002 with a stadium tour in Europe to support it. Europe is in for a big time treat!

Originally posted by Blue Room:
I think those of you that think it wont be until 2003 are in for a very big surprise. But we shall see. As said before U2 have been known to suddenly change their minds and take an album in a different direction, so 2003 is a possibility. But I dont think that is going to happen. Get ready, summer 2002 with a stadium tour in Europe to support it. Europe is in for a big time treat!

I hope I'm surprised. That's the whole point of being a pessimist.

------------------
"It wouldn't be a cry from the heart
or a high, hurtin' wail
we could look down and laugh now
I'd be all together
I'd be totally removed..."

RE: Kieran McConville;

I agree with your predictions too. The thing with U2 is that they are unpredictable (ok, that was cliche). Not because of POP either. But because they work on the fly and make it up as they go.....which is exciting, if not a good thing and a bad thing.

I fear that they're going make another album based on what they think is going to be a movement, a la POP, where techno was coming alive. If they make a punk album I'll be surprised and appreciative, but I would also see it as slightly pathetic. My final prediction is that they'll make a record probably somewhere between Ryan Adams, GOLD, and The White Stripes. Something with rough edges and some alt.country vibe.

I don't think we'll know until it happens. :)

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Europe is in for a big time treat!
*Moves to Europe*

I think that we will have an album by the end of 2002!! Perhaps not by the summer time, since they seem to be pretty busy (Gangs of New York Soundtrack, Superbowl, Grammy's, Private Parties, etc)!!!

RE: Kieran McConville;

I agree with your predictions too. The thing with U2 is that they are unpredictable (ok, that was cliche). Not because of POP either. But because they work on the fly and make it up as they go.....which is exciting, if not a good thing and a bad thing.

I fear that they're going make another album based on what they think is going to be a movement, a la POP, where techno was coming alive. If they make a punk album I'll be surprised and appreciative, but I would also see it as slightly pathetic. My final prediction is that they'll make a record probably somewhere between Ryan Adams, GOLD, and The White Stripes. Something with rough edges and some alt.country vibe.

I don't think we'll know until it happens. :)

Well, I admire them for being unpredictable. If it was just the regulation classic rock record every two years, I'd have tuned out long ago.

But, I've an inkling that U2's trend-hopping days are behind them. If they were going to be 'hip' now, it'd be Strokes/White Stripes/Ryan Adams territory they would be mining.

But, I've an inkling that U2's trend-hopping days are behind them. If they were going to be 'hip' now, it'd be Strokes/White Stripes/Ryan Adams territory they would be mining.

hmm. I've always seen them on the cusp on the trend. ie. trendsetters not followers. Especially when you look at works like AB and Zooropa.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
hmm. I've always seen them on the cusp on the trend. ie. trendsetters not followers. Especially when you look at works like AB and Zooropa.

Yes, up to a point. AB and Zooropa certainly bucked a few trends given the period in which they appeared. But, like the Beatles around 1967 onwards, U2 started to be followers with POP. Though IMO the music was uniformly excellent throughout.

U2 are leaders really because they're the only stinking big rock band game enough to sing about God and sex in the same breath. Everything else is just (pleasant) window-dressing.

Yes, up to a point. AB and Zooropa certainly bucked a few trends given the period in which they appeared. But, like the Beatles around 1967 onwards, U2 started to be followers with POP. Though IMO the music was uniformly excellent throughout.

U2 are leaders really because they're the only stinking big rock band game enough to sing about God and sex in the same breath. Everything else is just (pleasant) window-dressing.

*nods* point taken. But do you think that ATYCLB was following any current trends? I don't think I've heard much out there that sounds like it. Curious to know your thoughts...

btw, you're absolutely right that they're the only ones out there with the balls to sing about God and sex in the same breath. People that can only sing about one OR the other take the easy road, imo. Ie. Christian artists that can only survive in the "Christian music industry" and refuse to tackle real life issues AND artists in the mainstream that only sing about physical pleasure without tackling the issues of the soul. U2 makes a marriage of the two and does a damn good job, imo.
smile.gif

-sula

*nods* point taken. But do you think that ATYCLB was following any current trends? I don't think I've heard much out there that sounds like it. Curious to know your thoughts...

btw, you're absolutely right that they're the only ones out there with the balls to sing about God and sex in the same breath. People that can only sing about one OR the other take the easy road, imo. Ie. Christian artists that can only survive in the "Christian music industry" and refuse to tackle real life issues AND artists in the mainstream that only sing about physical pleasure without tackling the issues of the soul. U2 makes a marriage of the two and does a damn good job, imo.
smile.gif

-sula

In a slightly cliched way, I see ATYCLB as a bit of a new beginning for the band. But, yes, I do think it follows a few current trends musically, mainly in the production sense (ultra-slick, a bit of an R&B groove).

You don't have to agree with me - at this hour I'd probably prefer a good argument (joke)!

In a slightly cliched way, I see ATYCLB as a bit of a new beginning for the band. But, yes, I do think it follows a few current trends musically, mainly in the production sense (ultra-slick, a bit of an R&B groove).

You don't have to agree with me - at this hour I'd probably prefer a good argument (joke)!

lol. A fight is what you want? I have a miserable cold and I'm not in the mood to fight. Discuss yes.
wink.gif

I guess I hadn't considered the R&B thing...although IALW is the only song that sticks out in my mind as taking that route and even then it doesn't particularly "sound" like anything else out there to me. Then again, I don't listen to R&B if I can help it.
tongue.gif
But the big tunes like BD and Elevation...just don't sound like followers. They sound like leaders.
biggrin.gif

lol. A fight is what you want? I have a miserable cold and I'm not in the mood to fight. Discuss yes.
wink.gif

I guess I hadn't considered the R&B thing...although IALW is the only song that sticks out in my mind as taking that route and even then it doesn't particularly "sound" like anything else out there to me. Then again, I don't listen to R&B if I can help it.
tongue.gif
But the big tunes like BD and Elevation...just don't sound like followers. They sound like leaders.
biggrin.gif

Oh well, the big 'rockers' are just that. It's been done a million times before. It's only great because U2 sound like U2 and those songs really are very good. I think I'd be drawing a pretty long bow to try and say they were leading anything in that sense.

I don't necessarily mean that U2 slavishly follow every trend that comes along - they don't, clearly. Just that where once they really sounded like nothing else out there, now they are unavoidable part of the music of the time. And of course, apart from talent, the reason they were so distinctive early on was the relative isolation of their musical gestation (late 70's Dublin, the mind boggles).

Oh well, the big 'rockers' are just that. It's been done a million times before. It's only great because U2 sound like U2 and those songs really are very good. I think I'd be drawing a pretty long bow to try and say they were leading anything in that sense.

I don't necessarily mean that U2 slavishly follow every trend that comes along - they don't, clearly. Just that where once they really sounded like nothing else out there, now they are unavoidable part of the music of the time. And of course, apart from talent, the reason they were so distinctive early on was the relative isolation of their musical gestation (late 70's Dublin, the mind boggles).

true, they do sound like U2. lol. And U2 does that sound best, don't they?
wink.gif

I must admit, I am really very curious about this new album. I'm a huge fan of the work the band did in the 90s, and it would please me greatly to see them continue to push themselves. Related thought...songs like WILATW and TGBHF (the full soundtrack version). What do you think of those? I see them as pushing some envelope boundaries in a different direction...one that I rather like.
smile.gif

true, they do sound like U2. lol. And U2 does that sound best, don't they?
wink.gif

I must admit, I am really very curious about this new album. I'm a huge fan of the work the band did in the 90s, and it would please me greatly to see them continue to push themselves. Related thought...songs like WILATW and TGBHF (the full soundtrack version). What do you think of those? I see them as pushing some envelope boundaries in a different direction...one that I rather like.
smile.gif

I really do hope they keep pushing their limits. There's that element of possibility that makes following them exciting. Secretly, I just wish they would stop being so goddamn cautious. They are a band with a history, after all. Just because Joe Bloe doesn't follow that doesn't mean it should be denied. (sorry, pet peeve of mine is people who seem to be into U2 just to follow their latest marketing decisions etc).

The Million Dollar Hotel stuff (though only one or two tracks were legitimately U2, admittedly) was quite interesting. Certainly TGBHF and Stateless hinted an intriquing new direction for me, as I heard both songs long before ATYCLB appeared. In fact I've incorporated both tracks into my own personal version of the album. Stateless works beautifully placed just after In A Little While (and then followed immediately by New York).

Can't say the same for WILATW, unfortunately. That one, though different for U2, has rubbed me up the wrong way from the very start, and try as I might I cannot hear anything in it but mediocrity.

Can't say the same for WILATW, unfortunately. That one, though different for U2, has rubbed me up the wrong way from the very start, and try as I might I cannot hear anything in it but mediocrity.

Seriously? Wow, that one to me fit right in with the direction of TGBHF. lol. And I love Edge's guitar work in it. Oh well, each to his/her own, I spose. I'm completely with you on the limit-pushing tho. It's their ability to do that which really keeps me interested. In any case, I'm sure whatever happens in the next year, we fans will all have something to bitch and whine about.
wink.gif
It goes with the territory, I think.
biggrin.gif

-sula

Back
Top Bottom