If U2 sold their songs to a rollar coaster....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
Ok...so here in southern California, specifically at Disneyland, when you ride several rides you "rock out" to the music of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Is this selling-out?
More importantly, if U2 did this, wouldn't "fans" declare that U2 was all about money, not about music?

Wasn't Chad Smith quoted as calling U2 stupid for the Ipod hook up? Calling them sellouts?

Is he tasting his foot?

U2 were at least selling their song Vertigo as an itune download...to me no different than what a music video does.

I still like the Chili Peppers but did kinda chuckle after seeing the commercial.

Okey, I'm now getting tired about this talk about they doing it for just the money.

Well, sure the money is in it, it is in all artists, without money you can't go nowhere. They are musicans and still want to prove themself to do new things. And with the money they can do much more. Without the big money ZooTV, Popmart and Vertigo tour wouldnt be possible. They took chances(Popmart). I don't know why people are so negative. U2 are one of the few old groups that still renew themself, you can't compare each album to another.

When you have so much money that the band have, the money donsnt do much differnece any more. They have give away alot of them to charity, they have use a lot of them to do new things. And ofcoure they earn new money when they succed in new things. As usaly it is the same old jealous who comes up. They have millions of fans screaming for new releases, should they dissapoint them and say "no we don't want any money anymore"? Fans are telling them to release that and that show on dvd, cd... And they still don't do that. They try to release at least one thing for each new tour, wich I think is kind to the fans. (2002 best of, 2003 Slane, 2005 Chicago, 2006 ZooTV).

It is because of us they still in the game, blame us for buying the records(the funny thing is that people that are saying that they sellout still buying their records).U2 is one of the few artists that accept that cd is downhill in sales and try new things.

Well if the rumours is right the new album is going to be more acustic, well that concept isnt to much off a sellout.

Last edited:
I think it would be pretty cool. Even better if they did such a thing and linked it to charity.

Back in the 80's I had gone to a laser light show at the Hayden Planetarium to U2 music. I don't consider that selling out. :|

Chili Peppers take themselves too seriously.

It's only selling out, in my book, if your songs are used for a company's profit (U2 didnt take profit for the iPod or the ads from Apple).

JCOSTER said:
I think it would be pretty cool. Even better if they did such a thing and linked it to charity.

Back in the 80's I had gone to a laser light show at the Hayden Planetarium to U2 music. I don't consider that selling out. :|

Those kind of shows rake in money or at least used to :wink: for planetariums, which is a way of supporting a non profit. I went to several myself in the 90's. They don't do it out here anymore :(

blueyedpoet said:
Ok...so here in southern California, specifically at Disneyland, when you ride several rides you "rock out" to the music of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Is this selling-out?
More importantly, if U2 did this, wouldn't "fans" declare that U2 was all about money, not about music?

I'm having visions of MOFO playing while riding the Millenium Force in the dark at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio...
:huh:

Sorry if too off topic!:ohmy:

LemonMacPhisto said:
Isn't there going to be a "Chili Pepper" iPod?

I actually did see something on the itunes music store with a RHCP contest at the launch of Stadium Arcadium where winners were given one of 25 Red Hot Chili Pepper iPods....

but thats a lot different than the U2 ipods. I am curious what they looked like though

DontExpect said:
I am curious what they looked like though

chilipod9oi.jpg

the chili peppers songs for Disneyland are as follows

HIGHER GROUND for SPACE MOUNTAIN
and
ALL AROUND THE WORLD for the CALIFORNIA SCREAMIN' coaster in Disney's CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE themepark.

I rode the ROCK N ROLLER COASTER at MGM STUDIOS themepark in Orlando about a year ago, and even though I really don't like Aerosmith, the combo of fast (and indoor) coaster with Rock Music was really fun, and made the ride that much better. So I can see Space Mountain being really fun as a result.

coolian2 said:
Some "fans" already claim U2 is all about the money.

I can claim U2 can be all about the money from time to time. Still call myself a fan though.

I wouldn't call it selling out. Bands have songs that get out to millions of folk via tv ads, if they choose to do that at Disneyland they can for all I care. :shrug:

Lara Mullen said:

I can claim U2 can be all about the money from time to time. Still call myself a fan though.

I wouldn't call it selling out. Bands have songs that get out to millions of folk via tv ads, if they choose to do that at Disneyland they can for all I care. :shrug:

Oh, i think they're quite about the money too.

I'm pretty much in your camp.

I think U2 are mostly about the music. I think, though, they took a lot of shit from their family after zoo tv and popmart from their families when they didn't make the kind of money one would expect to make from such mammoth portioned tours.

Back
Top Bottom