If U2 Released Best Of 1990 - 2000 DVD in 5.1 with extra videos ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponkine

Refugee
Hola amigos :wave:

I was reading U2 DVD reviews from some sites and I have noticed that many fans complained about video and audio quality of Best of 1990-2000 DVD. There's no 5.1 option and the video don't seem to be treated with a remastering job :(

So I was wondering what if U2 released a remastered version of Best Of 1990 - 2000 in 5.1 audio with a new tracklisting in chronological order including Night And Day, Even Better Than The Real Thing (perfecto mix), Until The End Of The World, Love Is Blindness, Lemon (remix), Mission Impossible, Discotheque (Steve Osbourne remix), Please (live from Rotterdam), Elevation and Walk On and new extras

would you buy it? :heart:

Or do you think it's time for Best of 1980 - 1990 DVD remastered and mixed in 5.1 (with a new tracklisting in chronological order as well) including all their videos previously released on Best of 1980-1990 VHS plus Gloria, A Celebration, Two Hearts Beat As One, A Sort Of Homecoming, Pride (version 2), Bad (from UF Video Collection), In God's Country, Spanish Eyes, Red Hill Mining Town, Desire (hollywood remix) and God Part II with lots of extras?

What do you think it's a more exciting and better release?
:shocked: :combust:

I wouldn't want Elevation and Walk On on the Best of 1990-2000. They don't belong there. Beautiful Day and Stuck in a Moment don't really either (well, it's argueable, considering Beautiful Day came out in 2000 and Stuck came out in early early 2001 if memory serves correct). I'm quite fond of my Best Of DVD, I don't really need more from it.

It'd be nice to have some of those extras on a DVD, but maybe they can save that for something else entirely? Picture it: "Best of U2: The Extras" with lots of extra random videos and clips and things from the whole career. Maybe it could be a super special box set for the far future, when U2 begin slowing down.

As for the Best of 1980-1990. I'd be happy to have ANY sort of DVD with those videos. Preferably at least as nice as the Best of 1990-2000 one. With the standard videos in the main menu, and the rest as bonus tracks.

I would buy a new version if it included Mark Pellingtons video for One (the buffalo version). The omission of that video is the by far biggest mistake on the Best of 1990-2000 dvd, imo of course.

There is a reason that DVD is not in 5.1. The original songs were mixed in stereo. There is no reason to go back and completely remix the songs when they were meant to be heard in stereo.

Maybe someday they could do it but I don't think you realize how much work that would be and that it completely alters the original mixes.

Hoodlem said:
There is a reason that DVD is not in 5.1. The original songs were mixed in stereo. There is no reason to go back and completely remix the songs when they were meant to be heard in stereo.

Have a look and listen to Peter Gabriel Play DVD :heart: and you'll realize we NEED those videos with restaured visuals and 5.1 audio mix :shocked:

The only one reason they didn't mixed the audio in 5.1 was because their engineers and producers were too lazy and they took the easiest way :reject:

laol said:
I would buy a new version if it included Mark Pellingtons video for One (the buffalo version). The omission of that video is the by far biggest mistake on the Best of 1990-2000 dvd, imo of course.

The most ironic thing in all that my friend is the cover art of both album and DVD features the buffalo video :(

Honestly I couldn't believe how much WAS onthe 1990-2000 DVDS

I only have two other music video DVDS

Tom Petty's Playback
and Peter Gabriel's Play

Playback is JUST videos...that's it....nothing more

Play, while the quality was great and threre were tons of videos...didn't relaly have any documentaries to speak of...there were short little intros to each video, but some of those videos, like Sledgehammer and Digging in the Dirt I would've liked a making of or at least an audio commentary

But then the best of 1990-2000 gave us the standard videos, plus a ton more, documentaries, audio commentary, and in my opinion was only missing one thing....the third one video

Why would live footage have been included in a music video DVD anyway? And yes I do realize one of the videos *can't remember which at the moment* was taken from a live concert, and if it was UTEOTW then yes, that video SHOULD have been included and in that case there are only TWO mistakes with the dvd IMO

But then the best of 1990-2000 gave us the standard videos, plus a ton more, documentaries, audio commentary, and in my opinion was only missing one thing....the third one video

True. I should have said that the omission of the Pellington version is the ONLY mistake. (That video is one of my three favorite music videos, together with Antons One and Please.)

I really love the best of 1990-2000 dvd, much more than I expected to! (I'm usually not to fond of music video dvds.)

Last edited:
bono_212 said:
Honestly I couldn't believe how much WAS onthe 1990-2000 DVDS

I only have two other music video DVDS

Tom Petty's Playback
and Peter Gabriel's Play

Playback is JUST videos...that's it....nothing more

Play, while the quality was great and threre were tons of videos...didn't relaly have any documentaries to speak of...there were short little intros to each video, but some of those videos, like Sledgehammer and Digging in the Dirt I would've liked a making of or at least an audio commentary

I agree and disagree with you mate :uhoh:

I agree in Peter Gabriel DVD's (not only Play but Secret World Live, Growing Up and Still Growing Up ones as well) lack extras, that's something really really dissapointing.

But I disagree with you in something: You can't compare Peter Gabriel quality standards v/s U2 quality standards. Peter Gabriel has always been at least 2 steps fowards in terms of technology used for restauring visuals and mixing in 5.1 and other formats as well.

Who needs an audio commentary while the actual audio sounds just average, and it doesn't include 5.1 mix?. I prefer 1000 times something like Play, with a killer 5.1 mix but without audio commentary rather than a poor 2.0 mix with commentaries. :up:

I still can't believe how bad looks and sound Best Of 1990 - 2000 DVD. Just watch One video, you can notice softness, darkness, grainy picture, etc, etc that makes me believe the producers and director didn't even bother in getting the master films for the DVD
:down:

I'd love to see Best Of 1990 - 2000 and Best of 1980 - 1990 on one box set with a much more professional treatment they really deserves to make justice to U2 :heart:

I love my Best if 90's DVD , really really love it , it's probably the dvd that makes me happy the most

laol said:

Are you sure it's not on there? I must go and check again, but I'm fairly sure its there. Unless it';s that super-shit version where they try to include the band, that totally fucks up the whole point of what Pellington was trying to do.
Back to the original post, I'd rather see the 1980-1990 DVD with all the extras that Ponkine mentioned, but also with either the Lovetown Documentary or more likely the absolutely amazing earth shatteringly good Outside is America documentary!!!
Although I'd love to have the Night and Day vid on DVD too!!

Yeah, the buffalo version is definitely not on the 1990-2000 DVD. They do have the documentary about the making of the three different versions of the video, though, and sort of show the "highlights" of the buffalo version.

They show the full videos for the u2 in drag version with Bob Hewson and the Bono in a bar version.

Back
Top Bottom