If U2 had to add a fifth member ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jick

Refugee
..who would it be? I know U2 are already perfect as a four-piece band but what if they just HAD to add a fifth member.

Here are my list of candidates:

David Bryan of Bon Jovi - U2 could use a keyboard player.

Vanessa Carlton - U2 could use a piano player and an extra female voice so Bono can sing more conversation type songs (like Stuck In A Moment, which would make a good duet)

Avril Lavigne - To add some youthful enthusiasm to U2, who are now old rockers

Sting - he would have made a good addition to U2 during U2's and Sting's heydey when the Police just broke up (circa 1986)

Tori Amos - A more high-brow elitist version of Vanessa Carlton but a little less mainstream

Justin Timberlake - To add some chick appeal to U2, and make them more recognizable with the female teen generation.

Kenny G - A sax would add a new dimension to U2's songs.

Slash of G'n'R - So U2 can have finger acrobation dazzling guitar hero to acompany Edge's atmospheric economical sound.

So who in this list of most logical candidates would you pick for a compulsory fifth member of U2? I'd personally pick Avril.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
..who would it be? I know U2 are already perfect as a four-piece band but what if they just HAD to add a fifth member.

Here are my list of candidates:

Justin Timberlake - To add some chick appeal to U2, and make them more recognizable with the female teen generation.

I'd personally pick Avril.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

*wipes tears of laughter from eyes*

:laugh: :laugh:

:|

Actually, I nominate you, jick. You could come out and join the Edge on the b-stage to lead the crowd in a sing-a-long of Sonny and Cher's "I've Got You Babe." You could play tamborine. Long black wig optional. I feel that it would really help U2 reconnect with their older fans, plus Cher's hip with the gay community.

jick said:
[BTori Amos - A more high-brow elitist version of Vanessa Carlton but a little less mainstream [/B]

Please never mention these two in the same sentence again.

Thank you.

sorry to say this but slash acrobatic fingering? i really dont think so. slash is one of my all-time favorite guitarists but he is more of a blues type guitarists. a acrobatic guitarist would be someone like eddie van halen.

Kenny g?
why dont we get yani or celiene dion also?

U2's heyday was in 1986? i think there are a lot of people who would be offended by that statement.

and also stings heyday was in 86? i dont think so.... just my opinion ....

More seriously... for a while there were talks about Brian Eno being the 5th member...

But all we know Adam's got the 5th member and Paul Mcguinness is the 6th...

About people adding new dimension to U2 sound... what about Moby? Or Kevin Shields (from Primal Scream)?

well Jick does seem to be an expert on everything U2 has done wrong over the years...so for that reason, I nominate him as U2's 5th member. Who knows, maybe they would have really made something of themselves with him on board. :|

*edited for typo :)

Last edited:
yea i agree bonos american wife, with jick on board there heyday would have gone beyond 1986 and possibly he could have joined stings also so his heyday would have gone beyond 1986 also.

RickFly said:
yea i agree bonos american wife, with jick on board there heyday would have gone beyond 1986 and possibly he could have joined stings also so his heyday would have gone beyond 1986 also.

sigh...what might have been ;)

U2 have had several supposed 5th members over the years. Here they are.

Brian Eno
Paul McGuiness
Adam's Penis
Gavin Friday
Howie B
Daniel Lanois - Daniel is probably the 2nd closest thing to a 5th member (musically) they've had. He plays guitar and sings backup vocals on many of the songs on the records, and has performed with them live more often than anybody else.

But the only true 5th member U2 have ever had is.......

...........Dick Evans, the Edge's brother. He was actually a guitarist in the band in their pre-record company days, back in the 70s. I have some early recordings where he is playing lead on. You can tell it's not Edge, because I've heard Dick was more blues influenced (i.e. Keith & Mick Taylor).

So if U2 had a 5th member, it wouldn't be U2.

Why do you even bother, jick?

jick said:

Or they could just bring Des Broadberry out from under the stage.

Vanessa Carlton - U2 could use a piano player and an extra female voice so Bono can sing more conversation type songs (like Stuck In A Moment, which would make a good duet)

You're joking right? A teenie pop star added to a rock band?

LMAO. Avril Lavigne is a manufactured pop star. Her youthful enthusiasm is practically scripted for her (at least the music). This has to be the most ridiculous suggestion ever. She's FAKE. And seriously, what on earth would she do on stage with U2? Sing backup and duets? :rolleyes:

Sting - he would have made a good addition to U2 during U2's and Sting's heydey when the Police just broke up (circa 1986)

Sting would never join up another band as backup.

Tori Amos - A more high-brow elitist version of Vanessa Carlton but a little less mainstream

This might be interesting, but still...it wouldn't mesh well with U2.

Jick, I have to hand it to you for making absolutely ridiculous choices. U2 doesn't need to be recognizable to the female teen population. The female (and male) teen population is notoriously fickle when it comes to music preferences. It's not the market a mature rock band goes after.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight. A new wimpy pseudo-jazz elevator muzak dimension. :rolleyes:

Slash of G'n'R - So U2 can have finger acrobation dazzling guitar hero to acompany Edge's atmospheric economical sound.

And completely defy what Edge's playing is about.

You really don't seem to get what U2 is and why U2 is what is with most of these choices, jick. They're not a pop band, they're not trying to capture the teen population, they're definitely not into crappy-pseudo jazz elevator music, and they're not into blazing fast guitar solos. Unlike Avril, U2 doesn't need to become something they're not to make money. They certainly don't need to add a member to spice up their image, or attract teen girls, or attract metal fans, or attract Kenny G fans who don't know what real jazz is.

And I find it funny how you state certain things as if they were fact, when you are in fact far from the truth.

This list is a joke

JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE TO ADD CHICK APPEAL? :barf: :no:

YUCK! The band members are much hotter than him, especially Bono! I'm not even attracted to Adam but he's better than Justin. Justin pukes me out. Okay so I'm not a teenager but plenty of teenage girls on PLEBA prefer U2 to Justin! No chick appeal here! Any fan with enough taste to like U2 would not want him in the band! I wouldn't want them to add anybody. Like Legends said, U2 would always be, Bono, Larry, Adam and the Edge :)

you guys are really giving jick a hard time....

if anyone it would be Steve Vai. it would stop being u2 but that man is a genius so i'm sure he could come up with good music under any circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom