If U2 can keep making albums like THIS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cannot believe they've just defied history and released such a brilliant album in their forties. Whoever thought bands faded with age?

Axver said:
I cannot believe they've just defied history and released such a brilliant album in their forties. Whoever thought bands faded with age?

first thing i thought, this is bloody UNNATURAL!!!!

Queen Bee said:
:yes:

I was so afraid that this wasn't going to live up to the hype that Bono's been giving it for months. I'm glad I was proved wrong. :up:

yeah, and it's not even "punk rock on venus" and thank God for that.
if he came out and said "it;s our best record since achtung baby" I would've been like "no way", but it's absolutely true.

I certainly did not feel this way after atyclb or pop, as great as those were.

Ok, all the comments you lot are making are getting me excited for the new album...I do wonder though, if it really is this good, where do U2 go from here? Its hard to make back-to-back classic albums..

Sleep Over Jack said:
Ok, all the comments you lot are making are getting me excited for the new album...I do wonder though, if it really is this good, where do U2 go from here? Its hard to make back-to-back classic albums..

hopefully they will continue to abuse their position and fuck up the mainstream :sexywink:

:drool:

But still, you know, I do have a point! They've said before they'd rather go out on a high than become a pale shadow of themselves...so unless they have another classic set of songs kicking about then they might be tempted to quit!

Sleep Over Jack said:
:drool:

But still, you know, I do have a point! They've said before they'd rather go out on a high than become a pale shadow of themselves...so unless they have another classic set of songs kicking about then they might be tempted to quit!

well you know their time is coming. we've got to be realistic. i am expecting them to finish out the decade, but then again if this album explodes they may well put an end to the u2 phenomenon early, and i wouldn't blame them one bit. they deserve to go out on top.

Se7en said:

no one will ever be greater than the beatles. they revolutionized pop music.

Eh. U2 were better than the Beatles when they released U2:3. I can't think of a single Beatles song I actually like. The only time I enjoy Beatles songs is when U2 cover them.

It's all subjective, folks.

Yeah, the Beatles are untouchable, as they are for the masses. I love U2 ten times more than the beatles, but the beatles are #1.

Se7en said:

can't argue that. i'm not detracting from u2 whatsoever. the beatles are simply untouchable. :wink:

I agree. And I don't agree. The Beatles are the greatest band ever, yes. But not even Lennon could touch my heart the way U2 do. They're an Original of the Species.

Axver said:

Eh. U2 were better than the Beatles when they released U2:3. I can't think of a single Beatles song I actually like. The only time I enjoy Beatles songs is when U2 cover them.

What were you saying about taste in another thread?...;)

Axver said:

whether or not you prefer u2 over the beatles is subjective. i prefer u2. but i think it's a fact that the fab four revolutionized popular music. we're where we are because of lennon/mccartney...maybe a little harrison too.

Se7en said:

well you know their time is coming. we've got to be realistic. i am expecting them to finish out the decade, but then again if this album explodes they may well put an end to the u2 phenomenon early, and i wouldn't blame them one bit. they deserve to go out on top.

Yeah I don't expect them to be still going in 20 years or whatever, I just wonder if they have another mega-album in them or is this the final one....*intrigued*

Sleep Over Jack said:

What were you saying about taste in another thread?...;)

Ha. Ha.

Could someone actually tell me how the Beatles were revolutionary in any way? Shallow pop is not revolutionary in my books.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Yeah I don't expect them to be still going in 20 years or whatever, I just wonder if they have another mega-album in them or is this the final one....*intrigued*

I don't imagine U2 as the kind of band to simply break up; I can see them continuing to make music for a long time yet, though they may slow down. In any case, they still have a Best Of 2000-2010 to make, and they can't fill that simply with Kite, Walk On, and Hut Dab.

Axver said:

Ha. Ha.

Could someone actually tell me how the Beatles were revolutionary in any way? Shallow pop is not revolutionary in my books.

Oh dear.

"Shallow pop"? Have you actually listened to any Beatles albums? The White Album? eclectic as fuck...the sonically dense Sgt. Pepper, albums such as Rubber Soul and Revolver which started to incorporate eastern-sounding elements into pop music...also The Beatles where the first band to write their own songs so that is about the most revolutionary thing that has been done for music!

And thats not going into all the other things they did, like the backwards guitars etc..

Back
Top Bottom