If there were to be a movie based on the story of U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattFromNYC

War Child
And actors and actresses were to play each member and relations... who would you think would be best qualified to play who?

I love topics like this, lol. I'm still deciding on my choices.

Ben Kingsley would obviously be The Edge. There is NO other choice.

Not so sure about the others, yet. Maybe Brad Pitt for Larry....? I mean, just based on principle...

:wink:

If Colin Ferrel wasn't such a shit actor, I could MAYBE suggest him for Bono. But since he is, I won't.

David Byrne has sporadically acted...with his new silver-ass hairdo, he could pull an Adam, maybe. Ha ha ha. I dunno'.

BEN KINGSLEY, damn it!!!!! I swear that I've got SOMETHING there. He can do anything.

Robin Williams would be Bono??:wink: :wink:

bonorobin.jpg

Last edited:
Sean Bean is Bono.

Guy Pearce is Edge.

Hayden Christensen is Larry.

James Franco is Adam.

I have made my picks on possible physical resemblances. Of course, they need fine tuning.

Last edited:
Someone on U2.com said Colin Ferrell would do a great Bono, since he did a good imitation of him on Saturday Night Live, which I didn't see. I don't know about the Colin choice... but I am really starting to like the Tom Hanks choice more and more.

Brad Pitt would fo a good Larry.

Adam... Martin from Depeche Mode when he had the blonde fro?, LOL. I dunno...

If any of these actors ever got chosen to play these guys in a movie, I would shoot myself in the face.

If this movie ever got made, period, I would shoot myself in the face.

Would anyone honestly like to see the boys' lives be made into some schmaltzy, predictable, cliched Hollywood movie?

Just buy 'At The End of the World' by Bill Flannigan. Nothing more needed.

Miggy D said:
Would anyone honestly like to see the boys' lives be made into some schmaltzy, predictable, cliched Hollywood movie?

Just buy 'At The End of the World' by Bill Flannigan. Nothing more needed.

No, honestly I don't think I'd wanna see them turned into a movie like that and it kind of contradicts what they stand for.

It was just meant to be a fun, hypothetical "if hell froze over and this happened" sort of a thing. Nothing more.

Matt

To really tell the story, you've got to cast thee guys younger than Brad Pitt or Colin Farrell. I'm still amazed that U2 were, on average, 27 when JT hit.

MattFromNYC:

I hear ya. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't realize you were the one who started the thread.

Just the idea of a 'U2 movie' rubs me the wrong way, s'all.

-Miggy

Maybe there should be different actors for the different 'phases' of Bono?

Daniel Day Lewis could maybe play the late 80's Bono, when he had the Jesus complex (Bono, not Day Lewis)

For the 1990's McPhisto incarnation, Johnny Depp possibly.

Miggy D said:

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I saw this really crappy made for TV movie once about the British band Def Leppard. The drummer in the band lost an arm in a car crash somewhere near his home town in England some time in the 80's.

Anyway, when they re-enacted the scene in the movie, they had him driving down some dusty freeway in the middle of the desert - it became clear that they'd filmed it in America.

If only it was a really arty neo- sci fi film not movie I would enjoy it, with surreal sequences involving the band, imagine mixing The Doors with any video from Achtung Baby directed by Hideo Nakata, Wim Wenders and a ressurected Kubrick:wink:

Great topic!

Good one on the Robin Williams comparison by the way. He and Bono have always looked alike to me! Robin would be a bit too old to play him in a movie though. So, if one were to cast actors portraying a young U2 based on resemblance and talent, this is how I would envision it. Think about it and let me know what you think:

Bono - Elijah Wood
The Edge - Chris Owen (from American Pie among other movies)
Adam - Danny Masterson (from That 70's Show)
Larry - Macauley Culkin

I don't have a problem with a movie being made about U2's life someday if it had a great script, a great director and great actors. I think Jim Sheridan or Neil Jordan should direct. The problem is, I have a hard time coming up with big name actor who would work for the roles of the band members! (Sean Bean as Bono sounds interesting though ). Maybe they should just cast lesser known but talented people who happen to look just enough like the guys that it would be believable.

I guess no one's coming along with me on that one. Fair enough. Elijah Woods does look like Bono somewhat, to me anyway.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Back
Top Bottom