If the new Best Of didn't have new tunes or remixes, would you buy it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkmoon1021

Acrobat
:tsk: I wouldn't. To me it would be pointless because I have all of the songs. But that's just me. How about you? If yes, why?

:yes: I think this is why you have to give props to U2 for giving the fans who buy every album something extra. 2 new tunes, 4 new remixes, an optional B-sides disc. If they didn't add these bonuses, I would just buy the DVD. I'm sure these bonuses will help sales as well. :sexywink: (I hope The Fly is on the DVD. That's my fave video from the 90's. That would be my only real track list disappointment if it was not included. :yes: )

Last edited:
I would so long as it had most of my favourite 1990s songs on it...then it'd be nice to listen to them all without switching CDs every three minutes.

Which isn't to say I wouldn't *like* some new songs...

I wouldn't, one reason being: I only buy best of compliations if it's a band that I have casual interest in, so I can just get their good songs without shelling out money to buy all their albums.

Reason two: If the best of didn't have any new song, or remix, then it would have songs I already own. I could just burn the songs I like to a cd anyway, to listen to in my car or whatever.

So it was good strategy on U2's part to offer new songs and remixes.

Oh, but if the best of still didn't have new songs, but had the b-sides cd, then maybe I would buy it then, but to be quite honest, the b-sides for this new best of isn't as great as the last one.

The b-sides cd of the original Best Of was what got me to buy the last best of. It was the only reason I purchased it.

i would. here's why...because i guess if they didn't have remixes, they'd have regular b-sides on it like they did with the 80-90 one. if it was just a one cd greatest hits, i may not get it right away, but maybe i'd get it when it was on sale with some christmas money or something.

I wouldn't. What would be the point? I don't even own the Best of the '80s A-side disc. The only new thing on there was "The Sweetest Thing," and there's a version of that on the '80s B-sides disc, which I bought on Ebay for $5. Of course since the '90s Best Of does have two new songs it goes without saying I will be first in line to buy it.

I would buy it, but then I would protest its release by never opening it--this is what I did with the last release since I did not consider The Sweetest Thing Mix a new song. I still have it with the cellophane on it.

No. The remixes I could care less about. B-sides interest me.

Either way, once all are released this autumn, I will probably buy the DVD sooner than the CD. I'm seeking to originate, not duplicate. U2 already have enough of my money.

I would because there's nothing better than hearing all of the hits on one disc. Besides, it's an official U2 album anyway.

david said:
I wouldn't, one reason being: I only buy best of compliations if it's a band that I have casual interest in, so I can just get their good songs without shelling out money to buy all their albums.

Reason two: If the best of didn't have any new song, or remix, then it would have songs I already own. I could just burn the songs I like to a cd anyway, to listen to in my car or whatever.

So it was good strategy on U2's part to offer new songs and remixes.

Oh, but if the best of still didn't have new songs, but had the b-sides cd, then maybe I would buy it then, but to be quite honest, the b-sides for this new best of isn't as great as the last one.

The b-sides cd of the original Best Of was what got me to buy the last best of. It was the only reason I purchased it.

Exactly!

HelloAngel said:
No. The remixes I could care less about. B-sides interest me.

Either way, once all are released this autumn, I will probably buy the DVD sooner than the CD. I'm seeking to originate, not duplicate. U2 already have enough of my money.
Aren't you the least bit curious what the new version of 'Staring At The Sun' is like? Larry once said this song was never finished, and if it were, it would have been HUGE. I would love to see if he had the potential to be right. Also, don't you want to hear what the new version of 'Gone' sounds like? If it sounds anything like the live version from the 'Elevation' tour, it'll blow the mind. I have a funny feeling that everyone is going to be really shocked by the remix of 'Numb' as well. It might just be killer. I can't wait! Can't you? ;)

ultraviolet353 said:
I would buy it, but then I would protest its release by never opening it--this is what I did with the last release since I did not consider The Sweetest Thing Mix a new song. I still have it with the cellophane on it.

That is very unique...and funny. :laugh:

Yeah. I'm probably a sucker, but I would buy it just to say I had it. I bought Madonna's recent Greatest Hits album, and it didn't have any perks.

Michael Griffiths said:

Aren't you the least bit curious what the new version of 'Staring At The Sun' is like? Larry once said this song was never finished, and if it were, it would have been HUGE. I would love to see if he had the potential to be right. Also, don't you want to hear what the new version of 'Gone' sounds like? If it sounds anything like the live version from the 'Elevation' tour, it'll blow the mind. I have a funny feeling that everyone is going to be really shocked by the remix of 'Numb' as well. It might just be killer. I can't wait! Can't you? ;)

I read something about Larry saying that about SATS as well. Personally, I think the version on POP is perfect. I don't know how they could improve it. Should be interesting to hear though. I can't imagine how Discotheque will sound, I'm guessing a little less electronica, but who knows? I love the Soul Assasins Numb mix, I wonder if the new one will top it? Gone is definitely the song I feel that can benefit most from remixing. Especially if they add in Edge's backing vocals & Rickenbacker guitar like the did live. I know it will top POP. :yes:

I think I wont be too surprised by the new mixes.They will sound more sharper and perhaps a bit less subdued than on POP album. I am a bit familiar with Mike Hedges' work from Manic Street Preachers album. I think he wont influence U2 like Eno-Lanois, but rather assist them getting to a destination they always wanted to reach without thinking of a joruney.

As for the original topic. I would have definately bought the album, but not maybe on the first or the second day. Now I will stand in line if I have to, change the schedules, if I have to. I wouldnt have done this if it wasnt for the new mixed tunes more than the new song(s).

But I have a strong feeling that we will soon get the mp3s of all the brand new and new tunes before the official release date.

if there hadn't been new tracks or remixes then I still would have bought it because of the b-sides
I don't have all of them yet

Back
Top Bottom