If only U2/Edge had followed the instrumental path ... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:02 PM
If only U2/Edge had followed the instrumental path ...

I'm just listening to some U2/Edge instrumentals from the UF --> JT period, most notably U2's Bass Trap and Edge's Rowena's Theme from the Captive soundtrack (I'm sure all of you are shocked! ), and I'm yet again struck by the beauty of these songs. I love the soothing and beautiful atmospheres, the delicate touches, the feelings of calm and peacefulness, and how it's simply quite ethereal and gorgeous.

I do wish U2 had explored this area of music more. I know it leaves Bono out in the cold a bit, but he's more of a guitarist than people give him credit for (well, maybe he wasn't back in 1985!), and honestly, I'm not all too fussed if it leaves him sitting around twiddling his thumbs. He'd figure out something to do eventually.

U2 probably could have come out with an instrumental album between UF and JT. There was enough material: Bass Trap, Boomerang I, Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come, an untitled instrumental that has leaked online, and 4th Of July could have been saved too, not to mention all of the material of Edge's on the Captive soundtrack. I wonder if there's more in the vault that just wasn't released - that's not unusual for U2.

If I could have just one thing from U2, it would be more music in the vein of The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, the Captive soundtrack, and b-sides from that era. U2 were on a stunning creative high in those years and I wish more of it had been released. My mouth waters just thinking about what may be lying around, considering what has leaked in various ways - Beautiful Ghost, My Time Hasn't Come, She's A Mystery To Me, Wild Irish Rose. Some of it, if released, would be commercial suicide, but it would be artistic and atmospheric bliss. We need more of that.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-01-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:02 AM
I wouldn't say no to a few more instrumental tracks in the future, but I can't really imagine instrumentals being much fun live... (for me, anyway)

Old 02-01-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 06:02 AM
PINK IS THE NEW BLACK

more instrumentals
better lyrics
less shit
less larry's opinion
more guitars
more bono screams
more sex
more fancy clothes and purple guitars
tv sets and bald blonde hairdos
reload
Old 02-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Have u heard 'Race Against Time?' If you love instrumentals u'll love that. 'Things to make and do' is also good.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Axver, I'm severely creeped out. I was going to make a post exactly like this, regarding UF instrumentals, this morning. Some of it really was exciting. U2 honestly needs to do more instrumental pieces. I don't think they'd ever entertain the idea these days but it would be amazing if they did. Bono might get bored, but it would at least give him a chance to improve his guitar skills. And there are even interesting things he can do with his voice without the use of lyrics.

Out of all the instrumental tracks they released during the UF period, that untitled one really stands out to me. Everyone should listen to it:

http://s57.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=031IBQ697HBPQ0OUYGT4USIAJH

I wish I had a better quality version of it. But anyway, just listen to what Edge was doing on that guitar of his. It's almost as experimental as anything you'd hear on either of the albums from the nineties, just with that 80s sound. I'm certain Edge still has this sort of creativity in him somewhere...
Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Out of all the instrumental tracks they released during the UF period, that untitled one really stands out to me. Everyone should listen to it:

http://s57.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=031IBQ697HBPQ0OUYGT4USIAJH
It sounds for me like a very early version of Bullet The Blue Sky.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zooropean103

It sounds for me like a very early version of Bullet The Blue Sky.
I don't hear Bullet in that at all. Edge uses slide guitar, yes, but that's it.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Didn't U2 already come out with, what I would cetainly call, an instrumental album under the name of Passengers?! And we all know how well that went down!!?!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by hcbiggs2002
Didn't U2 already come out with, what I would cetainly call, an instrumental album under the name of Passengers?! And we all know how well that went down!!?!
If they released it under the name U2, as they should have, I think it would have done a hell of a lot better.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
Refugee

Bass Trap is an excellent tune...I really like it!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #11
Refugee

Not impressed with that song by the way. Obviously it is only a demo, but to me it is an example of why "experimental" isn't always good.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 05:02 AM
Axver, it would have been interesting if U2 would have put out an atmospheric instrumental album in the mid-80s. How about creating a UF-like atmospheric compilation of songs?

1. Beautiful Ghost
2. Wild Irish Rose
3. Walk To The Water (This song has always sounded to me like UF-like track)
4. Tomorrow (The 1996 Bono & Adam version - I don’t know if this would fit?)
5. Heartland (I don’t know if this would fit? but I read an interview with Daniel Lanois in which he recalled how this track was originally from the UF Sessions and it was titled Tokyo)
6. Promenade (In a way, I see this as the center point track. How well could a compilation flow into it and out it?)
7. Love Comes Tumbling
8. Slug (I don’t know if this would fit? but I see it as the 90s twin sister version of Love Comes Tumbling)
9. Woman (aka Sick For Love or Back Mask from the Salome Outtakes – I pieced both together to form one track)
10. Elvis Presley And America
11. My Time Hasn’t Come (a JT Tour sound check composition)
12. Smile (Atomic Bomb outtake – I just thought of this one – an excellent tune – would it go better here or after Tomorrow?)
13. She’s A Mystery To Me (It would be nice to have a complete version by U2 – a quiet studio version – a more atmospheric version)

2 of the last tracks, “Time” and “Mystery” have a kind of country vibe going on. These are 2 other tracks in that vein:

Slow Dancing (a 1997 version but with Bono on vocals instead)
Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes
Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

If they released it under the name U2, as they should have, I think it would have done a hell of a lot better.
Maybe! But just the other day listened to the cd that came with the Total Guitar edition that had The Edge interview. On it they had two versions of 'Beautiful Day', one where you could only hear Edges guitar and the other where you only hear Larry and Adam and the backing vocals. And it struck me that, although I appreciated the fine musicianship of Edge, Larry and Adam, it lacked the life and soul and passion that Bonos vocals and lyrics brings to this song. And I think the same could probably be said about most of U2 songs.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by hcbiggs2002

Maybe! But just the other day listened to the cd that came with the Total Guitar edition that had The Edge interview. On it they had two versions of 'Beautiful Day', one where you could only hear Edges guitar and the other where you only hear Larry and Adam and the backing vocals. And it struck me that, although I appreciated the fine musicianship of Edge, Larry and Adam, it lacked the life and soul and passion that Bonos vocals and lyrics brings to this song. And I think the same could probably be said about most of U2 songs.
Can you share those 2 tracks from Total Guitar?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

Can you share those 2 tracks from Total Guitar?
Unfortunately not! I have a very old machine, Windows NT, and it doesn't have a sound card, so I'm unable to share, sorry!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Viva Davifoff.

Now THAT IS A GREAT SONG!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #17
New Yorker

Axver I completely agree with you

if U2 explored the whole atmospheric feel and done more instrumentals..
the possibilities are endless. it's obvious to say that they would have made progress if they did explore the area a bit more (especially with Eno around).

thanks for the link to the untitled track GibsonGirl.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'd love to see more intrumentals as well. I love Endless Deep (does that one count?), Race Against Time, and the two Boomerangs.

So, who's going to start the petition for this one?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:56 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 AM
im not particularily fond of the instrumentals

the only one i really like is alex descends
Old 02-01-2006, 11:21 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'd love to just hear more Edge. Assuming there's no Edge instrumental/solo anything on the horizon for some time, I'd love to hear U2 let him loose, let his guitar take over from Bono more to tell the story. Think about a couple of songs like Velvet Dress, and especially Love is Blindness. If you just completely subbed Bono out, made those instrumentals, they still completely and totaly convey the correct emotion, place you in the exact same time and place. The list of songs I've heard where a guitar part conveys a feeling as well as Edge does in Love is Blindness would be a very short one, after a very long time thinking. There hasn't been enough Edge of late. Instrumental gets the big thumbs up from me as well, but there's absolutely zero chance of that happening.